New style Fram Ultra XG10575 Ford coyote

I'm still trying to figure out where myself. Seems like prices are up, material quality is down, designs are consolidating...there's no real choice for those of us who actually put in more consideration to our filters than, "Yeah, that's fine."
That's where I'm stuck as well.

I like the Ultras for multiple OCI's or on lawn equipment where I change the filter every 100 hours instead of every season like the oil. I'm not sure what a good replacement for the Ultra would be. Maybe a Napa Platinum? The Purolator offerings are way over-priced. I feel like the Boss is the closest thing, and I saw one for $27 on Amazon for the application I needed. :LOL:

I like Wix too, but it's evident some of their filters are getting to be of cheaper quality too.

I’ll put this out there. With pressure applied to the outside of the filter material, some of the pleats are being mashed up against the adjacent pleats instead of being separated by the stiff wire backup provided by the previous version. When the pressure is released with the engine off, the pleats relax a bit but the waviness is still evident. Will this reduce the material exposed to the incoming oil? Perhaps.

I’ll put this out there. With pressure applied to the outside of the filter material, some of the pleats are being mashed up against the adjacent pleats instead of being separated by the stiff wire backup provided by the previous version. When the pressure is released with the engine off, the pleats relax a bit but the waviness is still evident. Will this reduce the material exposed to the incoming oil? Perhaps.
Oil is being forced through the media by the oil pump, so the oil volume will still find a way through the media even if the pleats aren't prefectly aligned or if they seem "tight" against each other. "Tight" pleats are not tight enough to stop oil flow from going through them.

Oil is being forced through the media by the oil pump, so the oil volume will still find a way through the media even if the pleats aren't prefectly aligned or if they seem "tight" against each other. "Tight" pleats are not tight enough to stop oil flow from going through them.
Yep, you can’t notice, as there is plenty of more pleats to go through. The cross sectional area of the filter cloth is still more than the entry hole area of the filter. I’ve never seen a plugged filter on a properly maintained engine. All this hand wringing and attention to oil filters is just a Bitog tradition. Everyone carry on. ;)

Geez. I used Fram, then saw all of these posts about the quality going down. Then, I switched to Wix, but I keep seeing posts about the quality going down. Ugh. I just want a good filter for a 10,000 OCI that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Last edited:
Geez. I used Fram, then saw all of these posts about the quality going down. Then, i switched to Six, but I keep seeing posts about the quality going down. Ugh. I just want a good filter for a 10,000 OCI that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Post earlier in this thread:

Champ XL or Supertech MP or any of the Asian made synthetic filters mentioned.

Thank you!

@OIL_UDDER told me that they did a bunch of research at FCA into the wavy pleats in filters coming out of Pentastars and said the conclusion was that it is no issue. I'm pretty confident they used VERY expensive equipment and solid methods to make that determination.

That's just one application but I think laymen can conclude that any filter without wire backing will have some twist and that their performance would likewise not be compromised.

Straight pleats look nice but I care more about filtering performance. Nothing has convinced me yet that there is anything better even close to its price range.

For the Canadians throw in the Motomaster OE Plus, which is the same as the other two.

Back