New struts don't have slotted holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing struts and some other suspension bits on my '96 Maxima. Previous struts were Monroe Limited Edition, new ones are made by TRW. As I'm replacing them, I notice the new struts do not have slotted holes on the bottom. On the existing struts there is a washer underneath the nut with a tab that seats in the slot. With the new struts I'm unable to use this washer because the tab has nowhere to go, it will make the washer sit at an angle.

I also notice the bottom bolt on one side is a cam bolt-- if you spin it it changes the camber, tilts the wheel a bit as you turn it. The passenger side simply has two regular bolts. I'm thoroughly confused why the bottom bolts on each side are different, and what going to a round hole instead of slot is going to affect. Why are these struts not the same? Anyone know which configuration I should have? (cam bolt or not, slotted or round holes). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did the struts on my 96 I30 a few years ago, and both had regular round holes on the bottom, and regular bolts. I used Monroe quick struts, and the old struts that were in there were Unity quick struts (replaced by the previous owner)

Camber and caster are not adjustable on these cars.

The only struts for these cars I know of that had slotted holes on the bottom were Gabriel. If you look up the Gabriel reviews on Amazon, you will see complaints about the slotted holes they use. This applies to both Gabriel's quick struts and the bare strut-only strut they make for the 4th gen.

Are you sure this car wasn't wrecked? Having both a cam bolt and a slotted (by design) strut gives it lots of wiggle room.

Maybe someone put the cam bolt in first, then the slotted struts came along later.

KYB struts for saturn (and presumably many others) are slotted when the OE ones aren't. Many OEs have arrogant engineers who assume that if they don't provide for camber, then they won't need camber adjustments. This leaves many sad people who are told by poor mechanics that their car pulling is "not adjustable" because the computer says so. Sure it is, if you try.

No the car has never been wrecked, my mom bought it new and I bought it from her about 5 years ago.

I installed the last struts, Monroe Limited Editions. Replacing because they only lasted about 50k before leaking. I must not have paid any attention to the bolt sizes when I put them in before *OR* the place that did the alignment after installed the camber bolt. I'm not sure which, but the slotted holes are just how the Monroe struts came-- Evidently TRW struts are not slotted, I hope this doesn't cause issues with the alignment, but I'll let the alignment shop figure that out and installed whatever they need appropriately. Sounds like the slot vs. hole issue is that it can be either/or which is good to hear!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I did the struts on my 96 I30 a few years ago, and both had regular round holes on the bottom, and regular bolts. I used Monroe quick struts, and the old struts that were in there were Unity quick struts (replaced by the previous owner)

Camber and caster are not adjustable on these cars.

The only struts for these cars I know of that had slotted holes on the bottom were Gabriel. If you look up the Gabriel reviews on Amazon, you will see complaints about the slotted holes they use. This applies to both Gabriel's quick struts and the bare strut-only strut they make for the 4th gen.

And I like that! I can remove the front struts for whatever reason and not have to worry about getting an alignment.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by perfect_oil

And I like that! I can remove the front struts for whatever reason and not have to worry about getting an alignment.
smile.gif

Not so fast
31.gif

You will still need an alignment because the toe will go out-of-spec. When you undo the bottom bolts, you throw it off.

Originally Posted by eljefino

KYB struts for saturn (and presumably many others) are slotted when the OE ones aren't. Many OEs have arrogant engineers who assume that if they don't provide for camber, then they won't need camber adjustments. This leaves many sad people who are told by poor mechanics that their car pulling is "not adjustable" because the computer says so. Sure it is, if you try.

With the non-adjustable camber, manufacturers also say that if it is out-of-spec, then something needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Not so fast
31.gif

You will still need an alignment because the toe will go out-of-spec. When you undo the bottom bolts, you throw it off.

Nope, because the bottom bolts are splined into the steering knuckle. But then again, I'm not talking about a Nissan Altima.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back