New ST16 cut open

I have an '07 Ram, 4.7L, work truck. Lots of short trips, so I do 3-5000 mile OCI's. I like to use, made in the USA, oil filters. Over the years I've mainly used Carquest basic and STP-S16 filters.
I saw a recent post that Carquest filters are made in China now. I was at Autozone and noticed the STP is made in China too! I went to Walmart and checked out a ST16. It said made in the USA, had a blue can, and a nylon center tube. I was hoping it was a Champ Ecore, like the STP used to be. Instead it had a paper media, with metal end caps, and a Fram style plastic bypass.
I don't think I will use this filter. The filter media is very short, not much area, for a 6qt sump. I hope Wix or Purolator, are still made in the USA, by my next oil change.

Attachments

• 20210105_180506.jpg
    20210105_180506.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210105_180617.jpg
    20210105_180617.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 217
I have an '07 Ram, 4.7L, work truck. Lots of short trips, so I do 3-5000 mile OCI's. I like to use, made in the USA, oil filters. Over the years I've mainly used Carquest basic and STP-S16 filters.
I saw a recent post that Carquest filters are made in China now. I was at Autozone and noticed the STP is made in China too! I went to Walmart and checked out a ST16. It said made in the USA, had a blue can, and a nylon center tube. I was hoping it was a Champ Ecore, like the STP used to be. Instead it had a paper media, with metal end caps, and a Fram style plastic bypass.
I don't think I will use this filter. The filter media is very short, not much area, for a 6qt sump. I hope Wix or Purolator, are still made in the USA, by my next oil change.

IMO, it has metal end caps 🙊🙊

I have not seen metal ends with a plastic center tube. New level of cheap. I would prefer an Ecore to this.
Thanks, I will check out the 8's.

USA, non metal center tube and metal end caps, $3, sounds good to me for the 3-5 k changes.

Are you sure the ST-16 is the correct filter. The WIX 51085 or the NAPA Gold 1085 are the correct filters. I guess it is the correct filter. I just don’t remember the oil filter being that small on the 2003 Ram 1500 that I used to own.

Last edited:
Are you sure the ST-16 is the correct filter. The WIX 51085 or the NAPA Gold 1085 are the correct filters. I guess it is the correct filter. I just don’t remember the oil filter being that small on the 2003 Ram 1500 that I used to own.
I used to use Stp S16. I might get a Wix next time.

The ST filters look pretty good except for that plastic cage, which is why I wouldn't use them.

I use a lot of Champ made filters at work and have noticed changes over the last few months. A lot of filters that looked identical to Ecore designs now have metal end tubes and some have metal center tubes. They are also sending us filters that are made in Chine but are labeled like the original Champ. I called and they told me those filters are still made in the US but I have them in hand and they say China on them

Yes, but the filter material on Ecore was more substantial, almost like felt. This filter looks like pretty thin paper.
I know... $3
In general, having an eCore center tube or not doesn't determine what the media is going to be like. Maybe it did on that specific filter, but the two are not related or dependent to each other.

Last edited:
So Champ is still making STP, but made in China now.
Is plastic wrap for Covid? No more sniffing filters for me 😁

Back