New Sony BluRay player issue

Recently my 1st gen PS3 bit the bullet. I rarely used it for video games anymore, but it was our main Netflix streaming device, as well as our BluRay player. Since I don't really play games hardly at all, I decided to just buy a BluRay player. I picked up a Sony BDP-S3200 unit, built-in WiFi. I hardwire mine to ethernet, since my router sits right next to the player, but I digress. The perceived issue is this: almost every time I turn on the unit and select an app to use (Netflix, Pandora, etc), I get a 3-step process of "Aquiring internet content", then it installs, then confirms and then all the apps work. The process only takes 10 seconds tops, but I wonder why it has to do this. My PS3 never did. Is this actually an issue with my BR player forgetting my network settings, or is this process normal for keeping current with internet apps? FWIW, this process happens whether I'm hardwired or on WiFi connection.

The other thing I've noticed is that if upon power-up I view my network settings before running any app, they all work immediately without needing to go through the 3-step process.
confused.gif

I also have a Sony BluRay player that is nearly a year old that does the exact same thing. So.... it must be normal. I believe as well that it is updating the internet apps. When I go directly to my home network DLNA server, there is no delay.

We seldom watch BluRay discs; we bought the player for all of the other features. Enjoy it.

It's the apps thing. My Samsung Blu-ray player sort of has the same problem, even though I'm wired in. The apps are all Java based and Java is notoriously slow, even with strong embedded processors (my Samsung is a 1GHz dual-core).

We've got the same BluRay player, and it does the same 3-step process, with a "close" button after it connects. I don't mind the connection business, as it seems to be testing network speeds, but the need to close the dialog feels unnecessary.
I've never tried checking my network settings before opening an app, but now I'll have to. Thanks!

That irritation aside, the player's been great for BluRay, DVD, and networked programs for the last 10 months for us. The worst thing I can say is the shiny finish shows any dust.

Originally Posted By: JJ717
We've got the same BluRay player, and it does the same 3-step process, with a "close" button after it connects. I don't mind the connection business, as it seems to be testing network speeds, but the need to close the dialog feels unnecessary.
I've never tried checking my network settings before opening an app, but now I'll have to. Thanks!

That irritation aside, the player's been great for BluRay, DVD, and networked programs for the last 10 months for us. The worst thing I can say is the shiny finish shows any dust.

Thank you all for the input! JJ717, do you ever have the issue of the player failing to connect to the network if you select an app immediately after the player fires up? Every once in awhile I'll get that message, but then just hit cancel and select the app again and everything is fine.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Thank you all for the input! JJ717, do you ever have the issue of the player failing to connect to the network if you select an app immediately after the player fires up? Every once in awhile I'll get that message, but then just hit cancel and select the app again and everything is fine.

My Samsung does that. I think that the OS is written to boot to GUI as fast as possible (for good user experience), and that establishing a network connection happens after. I've also speculated that right after the GUI loads, it is performing a quick update check and hence the inability to launch an app.

The only devices that don't suffer from these issues seem to be the Roku and AppleTV. I haven't demoed an Amazon Fire TV yet, though I'd bet it operates similarly.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

My Samsung does that. I think that the OS is written to boot to GUI as fast as possible (for good user experience), and that establishing a network connection happens after. I've also speculated that right after the GUI loads, it is performing a quick update check and hence the inability to launch an app.

The only devices that don't suffer from these issues seem to be the Roku and AppleTV. I haven't demoed an Amazon Fire TV yet, though I'd bet it operates similarly.

Dparm, I believe the reason the Roku and AppleTV don't suffer from this is because they're essentially always on (at least I know the AppleTV is). The Sony BluRay player I have does have an option for quick start, where it keeps it in idle when it's 'off' so that it boots quicker, but this will eat more energy.

Yep, you're right.

What I've done to minimize the issue is have my Logitech Harmony power the Blu-ray player on first. That way, by the time my TV and AVR/amps have cycled on, it's ready to go.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's the apps thing. My Samsung Blu-ray player sort of has the same problem, even though I'm wired in. The apps are all Java based and Java is notoriously slow, even with strong embedded processors (my Samsung is a 1GHz dual-core).

Java is not slow at all. It is the processor and programmer who wrote the code. Our $45 Sony Blue Ray does the same thing. Basically you bought $99 machine with little computing power. So you wait. If you turn it on and walk away it does connect to internet on its own.

If Java were that slow you and many others would have chucked there Android devices out long ago.

Back