New: Shell Rotella T6 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the marketing of 5w-XX and 0w-XX synthetics is for easier winter starts and less warm up time (and subsequently less fuel consumption) in fleet use, along with other benefits such as extended OCIs.

When certain jurisdictions in Canada are trying to limit power unit idling, you can be darned sure that some fleets will be switching to synthetic.

Here's the PDS of T6 0W-40:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Shell_Rotella_T6_0W-40_(CJ-4)_(en)_TDS.pdf

KV40 75cSt
KV100 13.2cSt
VI 179
HTHSV not given.

I prefer PAO based Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 for it's higher 186 VI and undoubtedly higher HTHSV ( KV100 is 15.1cSt).
It's also readily available at Cdn Tire and NAPA. NAPA has the best price at $7.19/L and even cheaper in a 4L jug.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Check a SOPUS distributor, akbrian. It's readily available on our shelves.

Thanks, I'll check our local jobber here in Fairbanks next week to see if it's available by the gallon. A drum would be too much. It's not available at retail anywhere that I've seen. Even though it's a Canadian market product, it certainly sounds perfect for Alaska.

Gotta ask. Why is Shell publishing Dynamic Viscosity (ASTM D5293) at -35°C for a 0wX oil. Aren't 0wX oils suppose to be tested at -40°C ? Isn't -35°C for 5wX oils?

Originally Posted By: akbrian
Gotta ask. Why is Shell publishing Dynamic Viscosity (ASTM D5293) at -35°C for a 0wX oil. Aren't 0wX oils suppose to be tested at -40°C ? Isn't -35°C for 5wX oils?

CCS is measured at -35C or 0W oils. It is the MRV spec' that's taken at -40.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: akbrian

CCS is measured at -35C or 0W oils. It is the MRV spec' that's taken at -40.

Thanks, my education continues!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It's also readily available at Cdn Tire and NAPA. NAPA has the best price at $7.19/L and even cheaper in a 4L jug.

True, but Imperial Oil took their sweet time getting some of this stuff out to retail shelves. They've been concentrating on M1 for far too long I guess.
wink.gif

Would be nice to see this oil make it to the shelves here. I would use it in both our 2.0T Audi and 7.3L PSD. Year Round!

As well as my Generator and Lawn equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back