New SAE 16wt for GF-6B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tribocessive
MolaKule, you are not an OilFreak; you are an Oil Savant.

Agreed. If I want to steal some good info I steal it from Mola.

I'm LOLing at the first page, and the not long ago thread on "xW-20 has nothing to do with CAFE.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm LOLing at the first page, and the not long ago thread on "xW-20 has nothing to do with CAFE.

There's no argument that the use of lighter oils is to gain better fuel economy, but it also coincides with the continued refinement of the IC engine and would have occurred anyway.
The same trend to lighter oils has taken place with racing engines and that is not CAFE driven although the underlying force is the same, improved engine power and efficiency.

Dismissing the trend to lighter oils as being "just CAFE driven" implies some engine durability sacrifices are being made despite any of evidence of that and assertions from the OEMs that that is not the case.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The same trend to lighter oils has taken place with racing engines and that is not CAFE driven although the underlying force is the same, improved engine power and efficiency.

True but those engines are torn down and checked for wear at regular intervals, or just swapped out completely...

Using the name of SAE 16 sounds smart. Way too many consumers know little and care less, and 0W-15 oil and 15W-40 both have 15s in them, so just grab anything. All it takes to run a car forever is a key and some gas, right?
crazy.gif

We have somewhat the same thing with SAE 40 motor oil and SAE 90 gear oil having about the same viscosity, but of course those are very different oils for very different usages.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

True but those engines are torn down and checked for wear at regular intervals, or just swapped out completely...

Yes and that has always been the case with highly stressed race motors no matter how thick the oil has been. Engine technology and motor oil advances have progressed in lock-step with each other.
Leading edge race oils are very light with VIs approaching 200.
Cosworth Engineering, a race engine manufacturer, mentioned in an article a few years ago on the development of FI engines when they were reliabily reving to 21,000 rpm; the main reason for the latest round of engine developments was due to advances in very light (around 0W-10) racing oils.

So wonderful that they rue to confuse us about backwards compatibility. Looks like if the chains don't get their heads straight they may end up with a bunch of damaged engines on their hands if they use the wrong GF-6.

What another complication to life's already complicated journey!

Originally Posted By: buster
A new SAE 16wt will be proposed as part of the "GF-6B" Spec with HT/HS < 2.6 Cp @100C.

I hope you meant 2.6cP @150C, if not this new oil will have all the lubricating qualities of kerosene or diesel fuel!

Not meaning to bump an old topic, but Chevron has posted a good PDF that explains the process and timeline behind the new GF 6 specs. While the mandatory use deadline is January 1, 2016, we should see a first licensed oil by January 1, 2015.

The biggest focus is on fuel economy and oil aeration - as well as three new engine tests. Looking forward to see how SAE 16 will shape up.

https://www.oronite.com/pdfs/NOLNarticle.pdf

https://www.oronite.com/products/gf6.asp

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: supercity
Interesting

Their reasoning for SAE 16 rather than SAE 15 is weak. We have SAE 20 and 20w-x lubes now.

I agree. Most people would be able to tell the difference between 15w-40 and 0w-15 when they see it on the label. If they can't, then perhaps they shouldn't be driving.
Perhaps they have driven electric cars all their lives.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Interesting

Their reasoning for SAE 16 rather than SAE 15 is weak. We have SAE 20 and 20w-x lubes now.

I agree. Most people would be able to tell the difference between 15w-40 and 0w-15 when they see it on the label. If they can't, then perhaps they shouldn't be driving.

That means they probably have never gotten more than 10 miles from home.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Interesting

That means they probably have never gotten more than 10 miles from home.
wink.gif

That would greatly depend on which electric car being driven. We had the opportunity to drive from a suburb of Chcago to Indianapolis yesterday in a new Tesla. 202 miles
with absolutely no problems. Plugged in and recharged and drove back the same 202
miles. Great car, and perhaps the best of all the EV vehicles out there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back