"New" Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is technically the truck section but what about my tdi Jetta. I run T6 in that all year long for 50k miles. Aren't they losing a spot in the market from this?

I also run T6 in my tractor

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Everything CK-4, nothing to fear.

thumbsup2.gif
I'm not sure that it's going to be lower ash. Shell has published some product info that mentions that it will protect emissions equipment (even better?) with their proprietary formula or something like that, but I think it may be more about the improved oil quality rather than less ash.

I took it as being a better overall package that will keep the rings/grooves cleaner and less cylinder liner wear, thus less oil going out the exhaust and poisoning the emissions equipment.

On the other hand, maybe I missed something. I've fallen behind in my reading and research, so maybe Shell has actually said ash content would be lowered?

FWIW, I don't believe Shell has made any announcements regarding the T6 oil yet. They have talked about the new, improved T5 and newly named T4 and say that it is CK-4 ready. They're just waiting for December 1st to label it as such.

I don't think there is a "new" T6 yet. When it comes out, it may or may not have lower phosphorus and zinc, but I trust that it will be good stuff, regardless.

Edit - the T6 info available is still comparing T6 CJ-4 to the old CI-4+ stuff. Although, they do show the new bottle in the photos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bandz7
So even though the new bottles are starting to show up it's not the new formula yet?

I asked Shell Rotella this on their FB page, and they said the new formulations are in the new bottles but can't be labeled as such until December or January. I can't remember which.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Originally Posted By: bandz7
So even though the new bottles are starting to show up it's not the new formula yet?

I asked Shell Rotella this on their FB page, and they said the new formulations are in the new bottles but can't be labeled as such until December or January. I can't remember which.

They have made it clear that the T5 (10W30) and the Triple Protection (now called T4) are reformulated for the new CK-4. They said the T5 15W40 and the T6 would be reformulated, too. So far, I haven't seen any promotional info that says the T6 was ready for CK-4.

When Shell had the press release conference in July, they said T4 & T5 were ready and the rest of their oils would be announced later. Like I said, nothing is being said about the T6 being improved over CJ-4 yet. That's all that I'm going on.

Hi @dustyroads! Rotella T6 5W-40 will be CK-4 and we are introducing a new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 which will also be CK-4. Rotella T6 0W-40 will remain CJ-4 for the near future. The CK-4 products, as well as Rotella T5 Ultra 10W-30 (FA-4) will be on the market in December. Stay tuned for additional press releases and more updates coming soon!

Thanks for checking in here, Chris! I will be to switching to the Rotella CK-4 products (either T5 or T6) this winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi @dustyroads! Rotella T6 5W-40 will be CK-4 and we are introducing a new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 which will also be CK-4. Rotella T6 0W-40 will remain CJ-4 for the near future. The CK-4 products, as well as Rotella T5 Ultra 10W-30 (FA-4) will be on the market in December. Stay tuned for additional press releases and more updates coming soon!

Really interesting news, thanks for sharing!
Any chance that the new 5W-30 will be formulated to help reduce LSPI in DIT engines?

The new jugs just hit the shelves at the local mart. I have enuff T5 for one more change in my wrangler and then I suppose it will be the new stuff.

Where can I get a quick lesson on what all those classifications are with the CJ-4 CK-4 and various alphabet-numbers soup combos?
If I have a year old jug of T6 that is CJ-4, does that mean that it is inferior to a new T6 with CK-4? If so, in what way is it better?

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
Where can I get a quick lesson on what all those classifications are with the CJ-4 CK-4 and various alphabet-numbers soup combos?
If I have a year old jug of T6 that is CJ-4, does that mean that it is inferior to a new T6 with CK-4? If so, in what way is it better?

Here is a link to a page with the API oil specifications.
http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

If you have an older diesel-powered vehicle, you don't need to automatically use CK-4, or the latest API specification. Much of the performance required by the newer specifications is to protect emissions aftertreatment systems that are on the new engines. If you look at the owner's manual for your vehicle, it will tell you what API specification your oil must meet. It doesn't hurt to use a newer spec in an older engine because the API requires newer oils to be backwards compatible, with the one exception of the new FA-4 fuel economy heavy duty oils.

I have been running CJ-4 Rotella T6 in my 2001 Dodge for many years, and couldn't be happier with it.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero

I hear from the API today that only four companies have been approved for FA-4. May not be a big seller for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back