New Rotella 5-40 or Delvac 5-40 for bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

Is the moly getting too high to use Delvac in shared sump motorcycles? I see that a VOA of Rotella 5-40 CJ4 has 60 PPM moly. I don't know what the new Delvac 1 5-40 moly ppm is. Any thoughts if the moly levels are getting too high to use either one of these?? I have several different bikes and I want to use primarily one oil and have been using mostly Rotella to this point.

The low levels of moly found in these oils should not present any problem in wet clutches. Bikers have used Redline oils with 600 ppm of moly in wet clutches for years with no problem in clutches that are not going out already. You should not have any trouble with either of these oils. If you are satisfied with the price and shifter feel of the oil that you are now using, then I would say you are fine with the Rotella. Delvac 1 will cost more. You will be paying for a PAO/ester vs the Rotella GIII. For 3 bikes, that could add up over time. How many miles do you go between oil changes on your bikes?

what beemer said, use it with no worries

if doesnt have to be 5W but instead you want to use 15W you can go mobil delvac 1300 super, chevron delo 400 or the rotella 15W40's, all will do great

I change my oil at about 1500 miles on my street bikes with a filter every other change. The dirt bikes, I have no real schedule, just if they get ridden in really dusty conditions, I change it every 3 rides or so. I use Rotella for a number of reasons, but I am starting to think that Delvac might be a better oil overall, whether it's better for bikes--I really don't know. Rotella has always been light on the moly and Delvac a bit higher and that has been a main reason for using Rotella. And since the new RTS formula has Moly in it, it just got me thinking. I have several bikes and I primarily use Rotella 5-40 for my Magna and Air cooled 650 Suzuki enduro, since I drive them in colder weather. The kids bikes get 15-40 Rotella. I still run the Maxim syn blend in the YZ250F and I have no real reason to do so, its just what I started using on that bike when I got it and that's what the parts guy said to buy.
I am going to try the Redline in the 250F at some point. I had never used their products until I tried their trans fluid in a Ranger 5 speed a few years ago that suffered from the wide spread shifting problem of those Mazda trannys--and it really did help the shifting quite a bit. So much so, I was able to sell it for a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back