New rider looking for a sport touring motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The newer bikes 2004-2009 supposedly run fine without remapping the fuel injection.

Actually, not the case.
frown.gif
I have an '07, and around 3,300 - 3,800 RPM's, anything can happen - hiccup, burp, [censored], backfire, etc...
frown.gif
Kinda' embarrassing at times!!
blush.gif

If the OP is over 30, I don't really agree with the warnings about buying too powerful a bike.

Most Litre + bikes behave similarly to a 600 in the bottom half of the RPM range. Most are perfectly docile in these RPM's. A mature individual that possesses the instinct of self-preservation can do just fine on a litre bike if they are aware that all h*ll will break loose above say 5-6k RPMs with the throttle wide open.

It's just not an issue for mature individuals, and the added safety margin in this scenario of the extra highway power is a safety advantage not disadvantage.

On the other hand, if I had a 167HP bike when I was 16-22 as I do now, I would likely not be alive to be typing this post.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
If the OP is over 30, I don't really agree with the warnings about buying too powerful a bike.

Most Litre + bikes behave similarly to a 600 in the bottom half of the RPM range. Most are perfectly docile in these RPM's. A mature individual that possesses the instinct of self-preservation can do just fine on a litre bike if they are aware that all h*ll will break loose above say 5-6k RPMs with the throttle wide open.

It's just not an issue for mature individuals, and the added safety margin in this scenario of the extra highway power is a safety advantage not disadvantage.

On the other hand, if I had a 167HP bike when I was 16-22 as I do now, I would likely not be alive to be typing this post.

+1

Great advice and I absolutely agree.
11.gif

I'd say buy a Honda VFR800 with factory saddlebags as the best entry-level SPORT-touring bike. Light, powerful, superb handling, fantastic V-4 engine, decent luggage capacity, and best of all -- legendary Honda quality and reliabilty.

You can find these used for much less than $10,000 and they'll knock the socks off any larger bike (FjR, C14, Harley etc.) with a good rider onboard.

Just do it !!

Oil_Flunky,

If this is your first bike, I'd recommend you start off with something lightweight. A heavy bike like a ST1300 can be handful to move around the garage, through traffic or at the side of the road, and if you find yourself in a situation where the bike starts to fall over, it's unlikely you'll be able to save.

Given your requirements, there are a lot of great bikes that can be converted to touring use. Although heavier and more powerful than I'd recommend for a beginning rider, the Yamaha FZ1 is an inexpensive bike that's great for long distance riding, and can be easily converted to carry quite a bit of luggage.

Bikes like the BMW F850ST are newer and more expensive, but easier to handle than larger sport tourers -- and the belt drive makes them very convenient to run on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I returned to the sport this spring with a 1200S Bandit that I got a heck of a deal on, but it was too uncomfy on my old wrists. I looked at the ST1300 (too fat and sounds funny), the Yamaha big-block sport tourer (needs a 6th gear and still leaned me too far forward), and dismissed the big BMW out of hand (24,000 dollars and not enough dealers to support it)..

So I settled for the oft-repeated Bike of the Year:
5610_1123431158427_1006555092_30316189_1392527_n.jpg

It'll have to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo
I returned to the sport this spring with a 1200S Bandit that I got a heck of a deal on, but it was too uncomfy on my old wrists. I looked at the ST1300 (too fat and sounds funny), the Yamaha big-block sport tourer (needs a 6th gear and still leaned me too far forward), and dismissed the big BMW out of hand (24,000 dollars and not enough dealers to support it)..

5610_1123431158427_1006555092_30316189_1392527_n.jpg

It'll have to do.

Great bike. As you mentioned, it has won a number of bike mag shootouts/comparos. Factory hard bags are nice to have as well. The proximity key ignition system on these bikes would be just great while touring. Enjoy!

It'll have to do.

How are the ergo's tc2u? I really like the 14, but I'm leery of anything that even remotely resembles a sport-bike riding position - hence my current V-Strom. The 'Strom is not, however, the ideal long-distance superslab tourer, so the 14 is a consideration.

I find it interesting that the OP has this many opinions without an additional post!

Nevertheless, I'll put in my $0.02 worth: for a "used entry level sport touring bike" a V-Strom 650, a Kawasaki ZZR600, any of the "new" BMW 800cc twins (used, if you can find one), etc. would be a great starting point.

Heck, you can get a new '09 Versys for $5,595, a GSX650F for $4,795 or a new ER-6N for $5,399 in the ChicagoLand area according to http://www.cyclefocus.com (August 7-13, 2009 issue)!!!!

A good tankbag, a tailpack & soft saddlebags and you are ready to two-up sport tour out of the box.

Cheers!

Quote:
I find it interesting that the OP has this many opinions without an additional post!

Probably overwhelmed him, in typical BITOG fashion...
grin2.gif

The bars come to YOU, not the other way around. Plus, you can buy bar-blocks that mount between the steering head and bars to bring em back to you another inch, and pick em up an inch and a half. Murph's sells em. The seat? Not horrible, but could be better. Some folks send em out to have the foam adjusted. Some replace it with a Corbin. Some put a sheepskins or beads over the stocker. As in the used car business, there's a seat for every [censored], and an [censored] for every seat. The rest of the bike is pretty well flawless. Lots of folks remove the secondary butterflies from the throttle bore, which adds a demonstrated 8 or 10 ft/lbs torque and 5 HP down low and 12 or 14 up around the VTEC kick-in point. The zone where, someone said a couple back, at 6000RPMs, where "all [censored]" breaks loose.

Ya know, for the word h-e-double toothpick and the word frequently used to denote a donkey to be censored is really above and beyond idiotic. Loosen up admins. Jeez, it's ridiculous. Lighten up with the filters, put the mods to work if things get filthy, and be happy. You'd think this was a church-going sewing circle with the word censorship taking place on Bob's. It's a male-based board fer corn's sake. We're mostly present day or ex-military. No children read here, and no women, to speak of. It's stupid, with the filtering. Just stop it.

Ya know, for the word h-e-double toothpick and the word frequently used to denote a donkey to be censored is really above and beyond idiotic. Loosen up admins. Jeez, it's ridiculous. Lighten up with the filters, put the mods to work if things get filthy, and be happy. You'd think this was a church-going sewing circle with the word censorship taking place on Bob's. It's a male-based board fer corn's sake. We're mostly present day or ex-military. No children read here, and no women, to speak of. It's stupid, with the filtering. Just stop it.

If it offends you that much, leave.

Originally Posted By: XS650

If it offends you that much, leave.

The "A" word and the "H" word are NOT offensive, per se. If they are to YOU, XS, maybe YOU should leave. "F" and "S" and "N" bombs are offensive, and I'll join the pack on that.. The "A" and "H" word, not. Now go scrub your little pink thong and apron out with Dove soap and grow a pair, XS, and stopp kissin' Admin-Butt. This sensitivity is prepostrous. It's also why BITOG has become a LITTLE TOO effeminate of late.

I'm like 2C2U I have a C14 and love it, but buying a bike that doesn't already have factory lugguge means that you would have to spend another $1000 buying good luggage (GIVI) so although a V-Strom or Versys looks tempting, after adding the luggage you've spent the same money or more than a new sport-touring bike already.

BTW, I bought my 2008 Concours 14 with 2400 miles last fall for $9000 and it was flawless. I'm hooked on the acceleration and handling.

I still suggest the VFR800 w/ factory bags......? That was my second choice to the C14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back