New Push mower

Mowing today my Home Depot mower from around 2012 spit out deck. It is rotted in several places so now it is time for replacement. I was looking for another briggs 550ex 140cc since this one has been good except for smoking when first started which Briggs or Home Depot would take of as they said normal. Never has used oil between changes and plugs always look good. Looking at all major retailers the reviews were terrible for these engines as carburetor issues galore with being backorder and no one is standing behind them but I thought I would order one since I have one. Got on Tractor Supply to place an order as I had 30.00 rewards and with cheapest mower 21" 140cc for 189 then I went to see if my air filter would work since I just replaced it then oh oh. The 140cc is one of Cub Cadet Powermore engines and to late to cancel. I have the 208cc Powermore on my tiller but I don't have a lot of hours on it but so far so good. I hope this 140cc engine is as reliable as my briggs was. Any good or bad about this engine? Will run Synthetic oil after break in.

Many of the newer mowers have Chinese sourced engines. No wonder they are on back order. The MTD PowerMore are definitely Chinese made.

i have a honda mower + engine, deck is nexlite hydrostatic drive close to 20 YO mowing my hilly lawn an hour at a time + several others years ago $$$$ but worth it!! bagger of course + honda has another similar model without hydrostatic drive + smaller engine for 10 years 90 min mow but flat at my elderly aunt, about $450 money well spent. both start easily + only gas + yearly oil changes! i am thrifty but buying better for a long time use tool is cheaper in the long run IMO!

i have a honda mower + engine, deck is nexlite hydrostatic drive close to 20 YO mowing my hilly lawn an hour at a time + several others years ago $$$$ but worth it!! bagger of course + honda has another similar model without hydrostatic drive + smaller engine for 10 years 90 min mow but flat at my elderly aunt, about $450 money well spent. both start easily + only gas + yearly oil changes! i am thrifty but buying better for a long time use tool is cheaper in the long run IMO!
I had looked at those at one point. They weigh around 100lb iirc. Struck me as heavy for a plastic deck mower... but it does seem like the best way to go.

Hate to say it, many foreign brand engines appear to be built better than Briggs & Stratton in my opinion.
Love my Chonda, 18 years old this mowing season. Started on first pull with full choke, after a 6 month hiatus. Paid $139

Mowing today my Home Depot mower from around 2012 spit out deck. It is rotted in several places so now it is time for replacement. I was looking for another briggs 550ex 140cc since this one has been good except for smoking when first started which Briggs or Home Depot would take of as they said normal. Never has used oil between changes and plugs always look good. Looking at all major retailers the reviews were terrible for these engines as carburetor issues galore with being backorder and no one is standing behind them but I thought I would order one since I have one. Got on Tractor Supply to place an order as I had 30.00 rewards and with cheapest mower 21" 140cc for 189 then I went to see if my air filter would work since I just replaced it then oh oh. The 140cc is one of Cub Cadet Powermore engines and to late to cancel. I have the 208cc Powermore on my tiller but I don't have a lot of hours on it but so far so good. I hope this 140cc engine is as reliable as my briggs was. Any good or bad about this engine? Will run Synthetic oil after break in.
i dont see you having any problems.. just take care of the under deck that will most likely rot out before an engine failure.

I would after first mow or within 5hrs change the oil and either stick with a HD 30wt oil or if its anything like the newer briggs run a 5w30 full synthetic. and definitely treat your fuel with a stabil or something similar. i use the stp red bottle

Even though the grass may not be wet to the touch grass clippings are 90% water, that's why I wash my deck every time I mow plus it mulches better with a clean deck. Takes a couple minutes to tilt it on it's side and hit with the hose.

I can't say enough good things about my troy bilt with a Honda gcv 160 engine. Always starts first pull with the auto choke. Going on 8 years now.

I picked it up today and no changes in deck since I bought the last one in 012. Only difference is motor is a Cub Cadet engine instead of a Briggs and Stratton with same CC. Mother gave me her Husqvarna push mower that had a Briggs and Stratton piece of crap with deck that has surface rust. I swapped engines and now I have a trim mower (new) and one to be used for hard cuts. Nice to have a backup. The Craftsman she bought is also same deck. I looked at deck replacement and they are available from Troy-Bilt for 100.00. To soon to review the engine but one thing I noticed was the exhaust difference as not only louder but a totally different sound.

Last edited:
I bought a yard machines mower from Amazon a few years back and it’s been a champ. I do think the deck will rust out before engine dies though…

I bought a yard machines mower from Amazon a few years back and it’s been a champ. I do think the deck will rust out before engine dies though…
Yes that has always been the case for me. Since you can get a deck for 100 I might just go ahead and get it for when it comes time. I have one mtd mower with a rotted deck so I am using Husqvarna deck at this time but it has lots of surface rust. New ones are over 200 so it would be a savings.

I have an 18 year old Honda GCV 160, with a manual choke on a Sears Craftsman Self-propelled Lawnmower. Still runs fine after I replaced the drive belt. Have to admit it went to reduced duty four years ago when I replaced it with a Toro self propelled with a GCV 160 with an auto choke. The choke has been flawless for the last four years since I bought it.

68023444-9806-4CCE-9DB0-A6F9660D1068.jpeg

Briggs is dead for now.....get a honda based mower. If you dont want to get a genuine honda, get an off brand with a honda engine.

Paint a heavy coat of black tar / foundation cement / roofing tar / black joe on the bottom of it when it is brand new. This will harden up and prevent rust. Rinse off every year and shoot with fluid film.

Briggs is dead for now.....get a honda based mower. If you dont want to get a genuine honda, get an off brand with a honda engine.

Paint a heavy coat of black tar / foundation cement / roofing tar / black joe on the bottom of it when it is brand new. This will harden up and prevent rust. Rinse off every year and shoot with fluid film.
I sprayed a Boylen Mower once and it rotted out in a year. It was under warranty which they declined due to me putting under coating on claiming that under coating of any kind holds moisture which I did not nor do not believe. The decks are 100 new so now I will continue cleaning and replace decks unless motor goes then replace unit. Sad day when simple push mowers cost over 200 but engines are way more. Everything is throw away lately

Back