New Problem after Switching Oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
It is nothing to be alarmed about this is not unheard of when switching brands.

I prefer not switching brands. It's one way to avoid having this type of problem to start with. Some of us are pretty anal around here and 1/2 quart consumption can drive us nuts.I know I would be one of those.

It's always depressing when our once new vehicle reaches a specific mileage and a new beginning of consumption arrives with it. Sometimes 60K is the new beginning.

I have the belief that not only should our bodies never consume only one food, but neither should our engines consume only one oil-brand during it's lifetime.

Same with gasoline brand. Use a variety and reap the benefits of using multiple brands, for they-all work differently and provide us with different ways for lubrication and cleaning abilities.

Fucious says: Variety Is The Spice Of Longer Life, when sprinkled each time with quality / goodness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Hey bud. No offense because I know you're new... but ~0.5 quarts over an OCI is "yawn inducing" around here. If you do some reading here, it is not unusual at all for some "consumption" to occur when changing oil brands and formulae. PP is a good oil and there isn't anything wrong. Go ahead and buy an additional quart, and fill it up to the "full" mark if it makes you happy.

Exactly! 0.5 quarts between changes? I wouldn't give it a moment's thought.

I think that's ridiculous to suggest that by changing brands of oil it will be somehow good for the engine. If the oil you are presently using and are satisfied with, why would you purposely switch, knowing you could possibly encounter a consumption problem. You say variety is good but not in the OP's case because now he's worried. Probably for nothing I know. Also trip777, you can't equate a human being having variety either in lifestyle or diet to an internal combustion engine. Not in any way saying it's wrong to change to a different oil, just saying if you're OCD why tempt fate

Originally Posted by NETWizz
Thanks folks. I will need to post a thread on my ramp extensions.

That said, they are like slippers in that the ramps come out.

What I did was measure the width of the ramp and cut a 2x4 (1.5 x 3.5) the same length as the width as a stop for the ramp. Next I took some 3/4" plywood and put a bevel on it (not that any car would have a problem with 3/4"). The width of the plywood is 3" wider than the ramp, and is to keep the ramp from sliding. It basically boxes it in with 1.5" by 1.5" scraps, which are almost half a 2x4. It would probably be enough to use a 1.5" as the stop, but I used a 2x4 because it is anchored better and in no way will it ever rotate!

Then I took some 2 x 10" or maybe they are 2" x 12" (I need to check). I got one of them that was only 8' long and cut it in half at 90 degree sections making two 4' sections.. Then I added a roughly 45 bevel to each one, but I recommend you eyeball the ramp and match the blade to that locking it in the same place for each cut . Finally I cut off roughly a third of each one roughly 16" back (just keep everything equal). Then the top pieces were finished and the bottom 2x10 sections are finished on one side. I Then trimmed the remaining sides. I kept the blade beveled such that the car will drive up it easily and it will interface with the ramp well. This leaves the bottom pieces roughly 32" long, which is plenty to lift the car the first 1.5". At any rate, I inserted the ramp and then glued the long piece in flipping it over and putting in screws from the back to hold the long 2x10 in place. 3/4 + 1.5 = 2.25 thickness, so I used 1.75" or 2" screws and construction adhesive making the screws 1/4 to 1/2" from the top. Then I dropped the final 16" piece into place pressing it against the ramp. I anchored it top down with 3" screws because each 2x10 is really 1.5" thick.

When done right, the Ramps are fully removable. You line it up in front of the vehicle and eyeball it. Once perfectly placed, I ease the car forward holding the wood down with the wheels on the 32" 2x10" section.. Then I get out of the car, and drop the ramps into place...

These are great. They hold my Colorado, Malibu, G37, or a friend's Suburban no problem at all! The cars literally just creeps up them in Drive, and you can feel all three levels, so you know when you are at the top. At that point I press the brakes grabbing the rotors and let it inch forward until it touches the wheel stops on the ramp and stop. Add parking brake, wheel chalks, and still throw some jack stands under though they don't touch anything.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for that detailed write up and pics, NetWizz!
cheers3.gif

I think these, like in your case, will work excellent, especially with my Wife's 17 Impala that has some really low air dams on the front of her car. Despite my setup working it still isn't as slick/good as yours.
With having to place rags under my wooden ramp pieces, there is always that fear of them kicking out when climbing up the ramps.
My son helped me again with his last oil change but this was the first time he drove up the ramps. Long story short, as his car was beginning to roll back a bit, he gave it too much gas and kicked out the one wooden ramp. His car sits higher than my wife's, thankfully, or else he would have likely caused damage to his air dam if he had one?

Like I mentioned before, I am real glad to see these ramps can be placed in the wooden frames instead of them being all one piece!

Thanks again. Great job!
cheers3.gif

WP_20171115_14_36_11_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20180523_18_37_33_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I like the design of the new Impala and it looks great in black.

Thanks Stevie!
cheers3.gif

I don't want to brag because we own one, but they are a sweet riding, quiet car, that is for sure!

I haven't used Pennzoill for years. Every new car I tried it in used oil between oc so I stopped trying after so many times.
Only other oil ever did that in my cars was old time Quacker State in the 10w40 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back