New Pennzoil full synthetic "Black Label"

We also had POC the "pride of Cleveland"
poc+beer+can.jpg

We also had POC the "pride of Cleveland"
poc+beer+can.jpg
Wow, never heard of that.
Yuengling was making its way East a few year ago, a very drinkable American-Style lager - and it's had good acceptance in the Boston area surprisingly wher they dont trust "outsiders" much.

On another subject, I still don't know why people drink that weird Dutch lager, Heineken.
Carlsberg is a much better Dane pilsner beer - but it can be hard to find.

Anyone remember Pearl Light from Texas? It was Cheap, very, very light - for those wild nights
when you were having more than a six-er and wanted to be still standing - and not barfing - after Midnight.

Reactions: 4WD
It was very solid and flavorful then one day it just started tasting like piss to me, this was like 15 years ago. Real mystery
Like when I was a kid drinking Löwenbräu then Miller stated making it under license in the 70's.
Just Like Beck's was "ruined " recently by U.S. brewing by A-B InBev.
I guess these big companies - focused on profit über alles - think we don't have taste buds !

When we retreat from their foolishness en masse , they will learn.

Thing I noticed is it's not Dexos approved.
I sent an email to Shell asking about that. They basically said that this product is inferior to their Platinum lineup in protection, cleaning and performance. If I desire or require a dexos certified oil, buy Platinum.

So then you are better off using a syn blend that meets Dexos than a full syn that does not. Looks like ST syn would be a much better oil than the Penzoil Black label oil.

So then you are better off using a syn blend that meets Dexos than a full syn that does not. Looks like ST syn would be a much better oil than the Penzoil Black label oil.
I agree. I had thought Pennzoil might say that they just hadn't gotten the dexos approval yet because of the newness of the product. Or, they wouldn't be getting dexos approval but rest assured, it meets all the dexos criteria. I don't understand introducing an inferior product unless the consumer really feels the need to save $5.00 on an oil change. Pennzoil took their GOLD synthetic blend out of the hands of the DIY crowd and that had a very good reputation here and had all the big approvals also. I would have rather they kept the GOLD available and forgotten about this Black Label but it seems like Mobil takes the same approach with their lineup too so maybe it's follow the leader.

I agree. I had thought Pennzoil might say that they just hadn't gotten the dexos approval yet because of the newness of the product. Or, they wouldn't be getting dexos approval but rest assured, it meets all the dexos criteria. I don't understand introducing an inferior product unless the consumer really feels the need to save $5.00 on an oil change.
Just guessing here, but maybe it does or would meet Dexos approval, but they don’t want to steal sales from their higher product lines. Maybe some non-GM owners avoid Dexos oil, as they (mistakenly) see it as an oil made for a different brand of car. For Pennzoil this line of oils may be more a marketing decision than a chemistry decision.

Link to a related thread

Which links to this document
https://www.rowleys.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2020-GF-6-Updates_2.28_EXTERNAL-Version-.pdf

Where it shows on page 18 that Pennzoil Gold (synthetic blend) is being replaced in May 2020 by Pennzoil Full Synthetic (entry tier), which I assume is the new Black Label.

BTW they list:
Tier 1 = Pennzoil Ultra
Tier 2 = Pennzoil Platinum, PP HiMi, PP Euro
Tier 3 = Pennzoil Gold, Pennzoil Full Synthetic
Tier 4 = Pennzoil Conventional / synthetic blend, PZL HiMi

I work at a "major retailer" in Automotive, and we just got these black label synthetics in this week. They're priced similarly to the Castrol Magnatec and Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

I don’t like these same oil with different label . Remind me of chemical guy , never fan of those type with too many different label . Mabe I’m old lol

Back