New Oil Catch Can Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and ordered an Ebay Catch Can. I've read enough to know they are cheap and finicky. Many users have reported leaks, hoses collapsing etc. Plus, they have no baffling. To take care of the baffling, I coiled up some 1/4 inch hardware cloth in a spiral and stuck it inside. Sorry, no pics, but you get the idea; more surface area to condense oil droplets. I quickly realized the o-ring on the bottom cover leaked. I ended up ripping off the clear site tube, putting plugs in, and RTVing all mating surfaces, and used 3/8 fuel line for the hoses. Oh, and I had to make a bracket out of 1/2 inch aluminum stock. Prior to this, I have used oil water separators that last a few years before underhood temps melt them. This setup should last indefinitely.

2s8n5h5.jpg

2eejwa9.jpg

Was it worth the trouble and does it work for you? You have a good engine that takes a beating and runs forever.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That thing doesn't bounce all over the place with that inverted U bracket?

Not that I can tell; it has 2 bolts on each side of the bracket.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Was it worth the trouble and does it work for you? You have a good engine that takes a beating and runs forever.

I think it's worth the trouble; the older Corolla/Toyota engines have poorly designed piston rings; they consume oil and produce a lot of blow by. Hence, mine seems to have a lot of spark knock.detonation from the excessive blowby and oil mist sucked into the combustion chambers via the PCV system. The catch can absolutely makes the engine run better.

What kind of filter does that catch can have and how many chambers? I have been using a Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency catch can on my 2013 Silverado since about 1000 miles on the engine. It has captured almost 16 oz of oil and gunk from the PCV line. I started dumping the caught oil into a 16oz drinking water bottle when I installed the can just to see how much it actually caught.

I installed one on my 2009 Edge. I put stainless steel scour pads inside the can for more surface area. Sealed the top cover with RTV. I used heavy wall tygon tubing for the hookup. Used ⅜ pipe nipples to connect the hose to the can.
I can see an oil stain in the inlet hose but no indication of oil in the outlet hose.

So you were getting detonation, even on premium? that is an aggressive tune you are running.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
What kind of filter does that catch can have and how many chambers?

It only has one chamber; no filter. I just cut some hardware cloth and coiled it up and stuck it inside. It works great; I did the same thing to a catch can I made from a glass jar and the hardware cloth on the inlet side was dripping with condensed oil.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
So you were getting detonation, even on premium? that is an aggressive tune you are running.

No premium, no tune. Just excessive bloyby from poorly designed piston rings which many older Toyotas are known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back