New, New York license plates look nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
They returned to the black (actually dark blue) on gold-brown look they had in the 1980s but kept the narrow letters from the previous set. They're hawt! That's all... (yankees still stink)
48.gif

910471-200-0-1.jpg

I'd like them better if the blue area was straight-bordered instead of arched. But still a big improvement over the blue and white plates.

When are we going to get our Liberty plates back?

Desperate for Money and because of the increase in the prison population with the bad economy. They have to give the prisoners some constructive work to do with their free time.

It's funny you guys in the U.S. change your plates so often up here in Ontario we have only had 1 change in like 30 years and before that it was like that for like 20 years...

Not sure why you do that when you have renewal stickers and in some cases inspection stickers.
21.gif

I like the old ones better.

StevieC, Illinois seems to be using the Ontario model, new plates came out in 1984, stayed the same until a redesign in 2000 or so, and have been the same since with no sign of a new design coming any time soon. Personally, I think a redesign every 5 years or so is not unreasonable. For a while at least, it makes it easy for LEO's to see who's current on their registrations. And some of the plates I've seen are barely readable due to corrosion.

New plate looks like an old PA plate to me... Of course we only see PA or NY plates for the most part when collage is in session.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Yuck. We are not replacing ours till they make us, we all think they are ugly. We like the new old ones.

ny2001.jpg

I agree. I think the new plates are REPULSIVE.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I do like the colors. I don't like how they stick out like a sore thumb in contrast with the most common car colors.

That is probably closer to the truth. I bet they show up great on those radar cams and intersection stills.

NJ has kept plate changes at a minimum(Blue and tan, to Yellow/Tan and Black for some years now).

Funny that NY is going back to the Classic Orange/Yellow with black/blue theme.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
In Florida, we don't have this problem of fixating upon the looks of one plate design. Believe it or not, we have over 115 different choices for auto license plates. Don't like the standard one? Pick from over a hundred others... See for yourself.

So do we....if you want to pony up the extra yearly fees...

NYS DMV Custom Plates

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's funny you guys in the U.S. change your plates so often up here in Ontario we have only had 1 change in like 30 years and before that it was like that for like 20 years...

Not sure why you do that when you have renewal stickers and in some cases inspection stickers.
21.gif

Because the new NYS plates will generate around $135 million in fees. You think they're giving them out for free? $25 plate fee, $50 if you want to keep the same number on the new plate.

Since NYS and ON have reprocity for driving infractions, maybe Ontario will see the light for yet another lucrative source of funding. :)

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
In Florida, we don't have this problem of fixating upon the looks of one plate design. Believe it or not, we have over 115 different choices for auto license plates. Don't like the standard one? Pick from over a hundred others... See for yourself.
Illinois has a plethora of different plates, all at extra cost. I considered changing, until I heard our esteemed former governor make a comment that the plate fees in the state must not be high enough since so many Illinoisians were willing to fork over extra money to pay for the special plates. I decided that I didn't need to encourage that sort of thinking, well with one exception; Illinois has a Hospice specialty plate that I got for my Dad's truck, in memory of him and the help we got from the hospice when the time came.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back