New Motul "Sport Ester"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking so long I can't remember if this is my first post or not> At any rate:

Contained in the following forum link is the mention of a soon-to-be released Motul syntheitic oil into the Australian market. It appears to be a completely ester based product inserted between the 8100 series and 300V top end product. The item itself is the last listed in the post.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/auto...-explained.html

It is indeed your first post

welcome2.gif

Esters don't "attract" water. Ester molecules may disassociate or "break apart" under high heat, high moisture, and acids.

Tom has a very good explanation:

Quote:
...Another potential disadvantage with esters is their ability to react with water or hydrolyze under certain conditions. Generally this hydrolysis reaction requires the presence of water and heat with a relatively strong acid or base to catalyze the reaction. Since esters are usually used in very high temperature applications, high amounts of water are usually not present and hydrolysis is rarely a problem in actual use. Where the application environment may lead to hydrolysis, the ester structure can be altered to greatly improve its hydrolytic stability and additives can be selected to minimize any effects...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

The later generation of esters have greater hydrolytic stability.

Last edited:
BTW I posted the item because it looked as though Motul was finally going to release a range of sub-300V full ester oils. Up to now all I had seen avail was the 15w-50 weight which, in my view, has limited applicability to most of us.

Many on racing forums have been dissing the newest 'ester core' formula 300V products as shearing down much too easily (particularly their 0W-40 Trophy 300V), especially for a high percentage group 5 base stock, and low (compared to Red Line and M1) VI number oil.

I hope that they have addressed this with this new 'Sport Ester' release, and a high VI would also be cool (although unlikely if it is marketed as mostly a 'race' oil) despite the critique that draws from many on this site.
wink.gif
27.gif

I used 300V many years ago (tracked SE-R) and liked it with one reservation. Used three fills and then strangely one of the fills seemed to "go thin" quickly. I wondered then about their consistency. Switched to RL mostly and never looked back. I do though currently use 5w-40 Motul 8100 Xcess in the high mile SUV hence my interest in the "sport ester". Price less than RL, convenient pour container and nearly perfect fill quantity. Still RL 0-40 or 5-30 in the other vehicles including the '92 SE-R with 240k+ and my daughter's '06 Civic Si at 120k, both regularly thrashed to clear the cobwebs and no probs. Getting lazy in my old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back