New Motul Lineup

So, serious question for everyone here who has a European car:

Why are you looking at oil from anywhere other than FCP Euro?
$21 flat rate USPS box works great for the return shipping and you can chuck your wipers in there. It's a great deal.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
So, serious question for everyone here who has a European car:

Why are you looking at oil from anywhere other than FCP Euro?

I would only save about $30 (Assuming I could reuse the box used to ship my kit).

Not sure if it would be worth my time (drive to Post Office and time spent refilling empty bottles) or the customer experience at the USPS. I suppose if I changed my oil twice-year it might be worth it.

Obviously the cheaper the oil purchased the less you save because shipping costs remain the same.
I don't see how this is anymore hassle than doing the rebates etc. and taking your oil to recycle it. I drain the oil into my tank thing, then fill the bottles up, pack it up, and mail it. $21 shipping for a ~$70 kit (for my car) is a good deal 3-4x a year plus you toss in plugs, filters, wipers, whatever that you also get from there.

I don't see how this is anymore hassle than doing the rebates etc. and taking your oil to recycle it. I drain the oil into my tank thing, then fill the bottles up, pack it up, and mail it. $21 shipping for a ~$70 kit (for my car) is a good deal 3-4x a year plus you toss in plugs, filters, wipers, whatever that you also get from there.
Combining returns is great.

I just had a return processed for engine, trans, and diff fluid swaps, plus engine and trans filters, and trans and diff plugs. >$400 back on my credit card AFTER shipping back to them via FedEx. (y)

using the ecolite5w30 and thinking of trying the x clean next,even tho my cx5 calls for a sn oil one of the experts in this forum recommended me to go for the x clean.
always loved motul since my 300v days with my 550whp sti and its a third of the price then m1 here so its a no brainer.

How do they make money?

How do they make money?
I don't know, but evidently they are, because they've only expanded since they started doing this.

A few educated guesses:

1. Only a minority of their customers will actually return enough product to net a loss for the company
2. They're buying a ton of loyalty (e.g. I will barely even look at other vendors if FCP Euro carries what I want)
3. Most of the products they sell will last longer than most people own their cars
4. The returns program (and the loyalty it buys) increases their volume, which lets them get better wholesale prices

Plus, a lot of people like shopping there just because it's a reliable vendor of good products and has excellent customer service. They don't even take advantage of the guarantee; they just like the store.

I don't know, but evidently they are, because they've only expanded since they started doing this.

A few educated guesses:

1. Only a minority of their customers will actually return enough product to net a loss for the company
2. They're buying a ton of loyalty (e.g. I will barely even look at other vendors if FCP Euro carries what I want)
3. Most of the products they sell will last longer than most people own their cars
4. The returns program (and the loyalty it buys) increases their volume, which lets them get better wholesale prices

Plus, a lot of people like shopping there just because it's a reliable vendor of good products and has excellent customer service. They don't even take advantage of the guarantee; they just like the store.
Yep - also, you go on to your get your oil change kit and oh...let me get XYZ...it clearly works out.

Originally Posted by NuttCase
Originally Posted by edyvw

First of all, I did not look before carefully into new X-Clean+ line which is VW504.00/507.00, BMW LL04, MB229.51, although it is out some time. What is interesting about this is KV100 is 11.7, but HTHS is very solid 3.6.

The 8100 X-clean+ has indeed been out for a while, at least 7 years.

I didn't catch the point about the KV100 / HTHS combination. All of the 5W30 C3 / VW504 oils will have HTHS >= 3.5 and many have KV100 in the high 11s. Elf, Motul, Total and Shell are all in the 11.7 - 12.2 range.

X-clean+ currently in the Audi and will probably change in the summer to Shell or Petronas. I wasn't planning on a UOA as the miles will be less than 2000 (changing on time and not mileage). I could be persuaded though if its really of interest to the community.
11.gif

Most 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 and C3 oils have HTHS 3.5. Some time before Castrol Edge 0W30 (A3) and Mobil1 ESP Formula (C3) had HTHS 3.58. So HTHS of 3.6 with KV100 at 11.9 is really good result. Edge 0W30 and Mobil1 ESP Formula had KV100 at 12.2.

So the Motul 5W30 X-clean plus is out and Gulf GX 5W-30 is in the Audi. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had the X-Clean oil tested - more of a personal interest than any real need for it. See recent post X-Clean UOA

Any update here? I'd love to see how the X-Cess Gen2 performs. I'm stuck between that and the Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40.

Thanks!

Charlie

still not out in our market!! i wonder why..a year later and still cant find it!

Glad you bumped this up. I have a VOA out for Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40. Awaiting results. I will perform a UOA on the A90 Supra when it is time (suggestions on mileage welcome).

Last edited:
ok, thanks..glad you did it..personally i change oils from 8.000 -10.000 km or what comes first in 6 months.i think its 7000miles?
well here in europe we still cant't find it easily, and its one of their oils that i would like to try most!

Back