New motor, why shouldn't I run M1 0W-40?

I have an SC400 that I've build as sort of a hotrod/track car. The SC400 has a 1UZ, a 4.0L V8. The factory motor is nice, but not real powerful. I've built a new motor with all the fancy bits... you know, forged rods, pistons, head work, cams, etc, etc. Should spin 8500rpm+ and hopefully make 350-400hp. I've got about 100 miles on it at this point, just put M1 0W-40 in it. I have a lot of confidence in that oil, but I can't help wonder if I shouldn't look at HPL, Red Line, etc.

This isn't a daily driver, it's just a weekend car that will get driven on the track most of the time.

1665541457369.jpg

Thoughts?

Nice ride. You should definitively run M1 0W-40. It's excellent oil. @High Performance Lubricants is also an excellent choice. Mr. Ward from HPL endorsed M1 0W-40 as he tested it himself. That said, HPL's products edge out M1 0W-40 simply because they are manufactured using higher quality and more expensive ingredients.

As for Red Line, I'd pass on it. I've used it myself and will keep using it until I run out of my current stock. Then I will transition to HPL for all our vehicles. Some already run on HPL.

Red Line has not updated their product line in a long time and missed the mark a couple of years ago when they printed their 2021 product catalog, but then they failed to deliver the promised products. Red Line was supposed to come out with new and improved formulations back in 2020. However, those never materialized. Yes, Red Line makes good products. However, the asking price for their lubricants is not worth it when there are so many better options, including AMSOIL.

She's a sleeper. And m1 0w-40 is fine but I'd use their 15w-50 instead for track days. Having excess hths never hurts an engine getting slammed.

Seems like the perfect case to run HPL.

Last edited:
I'm with everyone on this. M1 0W-40 is a great option for your V8 Supra.
Also here is what HPL had to say about M1 0W40 in couple other threads.
To answer the OP’s question directly there is no question in my mind that the Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is the choice. I don’t say that on speculation. I say that based on my experience looking at the FS 0w40 in our lab. If I was in a spot where I could not get my own oil I would grab that oil to put in any vehicle I own without question.
Mobil 1 FS 0w40. If you actually look at what you get for what you spend. (Value) Very good materials for the price. With its wide distribution this one is a no brainer.
M1 15W-50 could also be a great option for track days, in case oil pressure drops alarmingly low on a hot track day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. I agree, I've run M1 0W-40 in everything to date, with a few runs of Red Line here and there, and it's never been a problem. I've noticed HPL giving a nod to M1 in the past, which I respect. I will probably just stick with what I know and is easy and cheap to buy.

Thanks for all the responses. I agree, I've run M1 0W-40 in everything to date, with a few runs of Red Line here and there, and it's never been a problem. I've noticed HPL giving a nod to M1 in the past, which I respect. I will probably just stick with what I know and is easy and cheap to buy.
A rational decision!

Back