New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked again and at least one of the bottles was FS logo. FS is pretty small so I missed it previously. So now I have at least one quart of FS (perhaps 2) mixed with a few other quarts of pre-FS. Not sure if I need to change it out since I will probably go 16-17 months again on this oil (approx. 5000 miles).

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I've checked again and at least one of the bottles was FS logo. FS is pretty small so I missed it previously. So now I have at least one quart of FS (perhaps 2) mixed with a few other quarts of pre-FS. Not sure if I need to change it out since I will probably go 16-17 months again on this oil (approx. 5000 miles).

5k? mixing the same oil, two versions? Do not worry or even think of draining that early. I will 100% guarantee no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Ayrton

5k? mixing the same oil, two versions? Do not worry or even think of draining that early. I will 100% guarantee no ill effects.

Thanks I guess I simply worried more with this car as with the lower mileage I do tend to go long, just went 17 months on prior fill, but I would likely not go over 5000 miles ever whether that was 17 months again or 7 months. The reason being is the engine tends to show a bit of fuel in the UOAs and some of the earlier versions had the timing chain wear out and I always wondered if that could be exaggerated if you allow the fuel to build up. Plus, I tend to daily move this vehicle in the driveway to get another vehicle out which I'm sure makes the fuel even worse in my car.

I would have simply preferred the same version. The joke about it? While there was the one or two FS versions, one of the bottles was an early 2014 bottle, while the FS version was January 2016. 0w40 actually sells pretty good between Mercedes, BMW (formerly), VW, etc. so not sure why they'd have such new and old bottles mixed. I actually wonder if the 2014 bottles could have been returns.

I like the statement on the back "recommended for VW 503.01", which has been superseded ever since VW 504/507 came out probably 8 years ago. It was Audi's spec for extended drains in high horsepower turbo equipped motors. The 503.01 was full saps, whereas the newer VW 504 is mid or low saps, and is a better choice in the USA. May give it a try though I've been happy with GC 0w-40, which my motor doesn't seem to consume as fast as M1.

Last edited:
So, is there a consensus of opinion on whether or not the new FS version is a better oil? Better base stock? Or is it too soon to tell?
My local Walmart still has about a dozen 5 qt. jugs of the older version and I'm wondering if I should stock up on them while I still can.

I'm glad I came across this...I had no idea M1 had changed up the formula on us.

Despite the current lack of an LL01 cert, I'll be running it in my N62tu equipped 550i after my current fill of GC and Castrol 0W40 is done.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
So, is there a consensus of opinion on whether or not the new FS version is a better oil? Better base stock? Or is it too soon to tell?
My local Walmart still has about a dozen 5 qt. jugs of the older version and I'm wondering if I should stock up on them while I still can.

I have to change oil i my wife's Tiguan so contemplating whether to use it. However, I do not like very high SAPS level. I was thinking to do UOA and be good citizen, but she will not make 5K before next year.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
I'm glad I came across this...I had no idea M1 had changed up the formula on us.

Despite the current lack of an LL01 cert, I'll be running it in my N62tu equipped 550i after my current fill of GC and Castrol 0W40 is done.

I'll probably keep using it in the ti and X3 as well.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

I'll probably keep using it in the ti and X3 as well.

X3 is going to be fine. I think that issue is with N20 engine, since that engine is now included in LL-01 certification.
However, I do not understand that company like Mobil1 does not have LL-01. Just does not make sense.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Mobil S 3000x1 still carries LL-01.

As far as I know, they still did not change formulation in Europe. M1 0W40 in Europe is still VISOM based.

EM thinks they can change the formulation and thinks we won't notice!
mad.gif

Looks like M1 0W40 is not the king of oils anymore.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

As far as I know, they still did not change formulation in Europe. M1 0W40 in Europe is still VISOM based.

I believe the latest German MSDS showed PAO, not VISOM...
21.gif

Well first off, there really isn't any definitive evidence that the loss of LL-01 was due to a formulation change. So you're making that up for one thing. Secondly it still carries all the other certifications, so it's not as if the oil has gone "downhill" unless you can explain to all of us exactly how it is inferior now as opposed to before. Do you have an actual need for an LL-01 oil or are you just commenting in general?

And lastly what exactly did you want them to do so that you would "notice"? Put NO LONGER MEETS LONGLIFE-01 on the front of the container in large print? A personal email to everyone in the world? Change the container plastic color? A flashing light at each sale point? They took it off the list of certifications on the back (and on their website), is that insufficient?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well first off, there really isn't any definitive evidence that the loss of LL-01 was due to a formulation change. So you're making that up for one thing. Secondly it still carries all the other certifications, so it's not as if the oil has gone "downhill" unless you can explain to all of us exactly how it is inferior now as opposed to before. Do you have an actual need for an LL-01 oil or are you just commenting in general?

And lastly what exactly did you want them to do so that you would "notice"? Put NO LONGER MEETS LONGLIFE-01 on the front of the container in large print? A personal email to everyone in the world? Change the container plastic color? A flashing light at each sale point? They took it off the list of certifications on the back (and on their website), is that insufficient?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
mad.gif

I think you are also spinning this around, trying to somehow justify M1.
M1 also dropped that Nissan GT-R thing. But who cares? What was GT-R? Was it actually specification or just marketing deal with Nissan? However, for company like M1 not to have BMW LL-01 spec. is seriously problem, at least in my eyes. We are not talking here about Russia Lada (and M1 caries their specification for what is worth it), but BMW! Bobbydavaro(something like that) said that LL-01 is now hardest spec. to meet since they included N20 engine in testing. So what I see is that M1 cannot meet that test with this formulation. I am not so sure M1 would just like that give up all those BMW's on the road.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

It has same characteristics as our old version plus in Germany it is sold as HC oil!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

It has same characteristics as our old version plus in Germany it is sold as HC oil!

This is the current (or was when I snapped it a few months ago) MSDS:

German0w40MSDS.JPG

Shows 50-60% PAO.

Have no idea. I know it has exactly same characteristics as old version here, plus unlike here in Germany it is sold as SHC oil.
On other hand here we have pds for 0W40 ESP but you cannot buy it anywhere, so maybe M1 started to behave like Castrol with these MSDS's and pds's.

Have no idea. I know it has exactly same characteristics as old version here, plus unlike here in Germany it is sold as SHC oil.
On other hand here we have pds for 0W40 ESP but you cannot buy it anywhere, so maybe M1 started to behave like Castrol with these MSDS's and pds's.

Well I'm assuming the other 40-50% is probably Group III/VISOM so perhaps they've just continued to label it SHC so that if they add more VISOM they don't need to change the label
21.gif

The previous MSDS showed more Group III IIRC, and I don't recall a product labelling change when the MSDS changed, unlike in the US with the FS designation showing up on the new bottles.

So M1 0w40 has 50-60% PAO and yet can't meet the BMW N20 spec. Maybe just because an oil is predominantly PAO based doesn't mean it'll be better than a predominantly Group III oil. It's the whole formulation with a stout add pack, friction modifiers, dispersants and detergents that make a well rounded motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back