New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ether
As an example,in the UK for 4.4 quarts/5 Litres of Mobil 1 ESP Ow40 we pay $74/£60.Amsoil oils are $27/£22 per quart.The Mobil oils are sometimes cheaper on a special,some places around $53/£43.

Holy, Cow! Is that really so? Most of my UK colleagues get cars with expenses as part of their compensation. Those who don't, don't have cars. Is it really that expensive for such a common maintenance item? You're quoting nearly three times what we pay for M1!

This "playing fast and loose with confusing specs" is why the average US (and I'm sure the same holds true elsewhere) consumer just looks for the appropriate viscosity, places it in the shopping cart then moves on to the toilet paper section of Super Walmart while minding his/her 4 year old. The vehicle mfr will also only care that the vehicle has oil in the sump and that the owner adhered to the OCI. Can you imagine the ridiculousness of this stuff coming out in a court dispute over oil specs?! This is the real world.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jviss
Originally Posted By: Ether
As an example,in the UK for 4.4 quarts/5 Litres of Mobil 1 ESP Ow40 we pay $74/£60.Amsoil oils are $27/£22 per quart.The Mobil oils are sometimes cheaper on a special,some places around $53/£43.

Holy, Cow! Is that really so? Most of my UK colleagues get cars with expenses as part of their compensation. Those who don't, don't have cars. Is it really that expensive for such a common maintenance item? You're quoting nearly three times what we pay for M1!

Castrol is even higher, usually. I could go to the nearest auto parts store tomorrow and find a 130 euro bottle of castrol. Haven't checked what the dollar does now, but wouldn't be surprised that's $150 for 5 litres of oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
In my opinion it's good they list the A1/B1 spec if their oil complies with the latest version of it. What with owners whose cars require an A1/B1 oil yet nobody lists the spec anymore?

Valid point.

Although if I understood correctly, A1/B1 was removed because the new C5 spec basically covers it, so if your car calls for A1/B1, you can run C5 in it instead.

But your manual won't say that.

C3 covers A3/B4 also, except it doesn't in practice even if you have low sulfur fuel...

Glad I found this...decided to go through the oil section in Walmart today and this oil. I laughed out loud when I saw the price of it. I did notice that the price of M1 EP had dropped to $25 like the regular M1 at my store though.

I think this will have an adverse effect on the rest of the M1 oils.
If I didn't know anything about oil and I saw the best M1@ 50 bucks and say the best Ultra@ 28 bucks and the second best M1@28 bucks,I think I buy the top of the line Ultra vs the mid level M1.

Nobody here for a while - got PUP off Amazon (for too much) and Ford OLM says 5k and done in 4 months...
M1 M-212 filter on so will leave it in place - and just change with M1 EP later today ... ($25 jug+stray qt)

Originally Posted By: njohnson

The video is not there yet, but, they did just add a different video. A video on the 500,000 mile test of Mobil 1 high mileage oil.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...leage-challenge

Other than drug runners, interstate crooks, and enduro races across the world, who drives their car for 24/hrs per day at 65 mph steady state highway speed for a year? Even truckers only do 8-10 hrs per day. Almost no cold starts or high rpm runs to challenge the oil. I would expect with 10K OCI's for a 2015 car to still exhibit far less wear than a car that accumulated miles at say 50-200 miles per day....with 8X-30X as many cold starts.

This test applies to less than 0.0003% of all US drivers. Might have less applicability than RAT's testing.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Like the M1 EP 5w30 sold out ?

I see RP is top shelf. I wonder if XM is not pleased.

Oh, upon further inspection- the RP is just out of reach- so not really topshelf, but kind of 'on the floor' stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Like the M1 EP 5w30 sold out ?

I see RP is top shelf. I wonder if XM is not pleased.

Oh, upon further inspection- the RP is just out of reach- so not really topshelf, but kind of 'on the floor' stock.

At almost half the price it is no surprise EP 5w30 is sold out.

... and folks love that "Roll Back" tag - just what AP is missing ...
I'm not sure what AP sells for outside of Walmart ?

... and folks love that "Roll Back" tag - just what AP is missing ...
I'm not sure what AP sells for outside of Walmart ?

Give it some time, you might be seeing a "Roll Back" tag, or better a "Closeout" tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back