New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
No just that only the Lexus crowd could afford it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I like how they chose Turbo DI engines.

Yes, I think this was a good choice on XOM's part.

One thing I would like to know is how many cold starts and short trips it included. How long did the test last in terms of time? I am guessing it was a lot less than 6 years.
smile.gif
And racking up a lot of miles in a fairly short amount of time is a lot less demanding on oil than racking up fewer miles in a longer amount of time, IMO. If you are doing 20k miles in a year or less, that means you are probably not short tripping, and doing a lot of hwy miles on a fully warmed up engine, so kind of an easy life for the oil, relatively speaking. That's why I think they chose this 20k/1yr limit very carefully. I think it would be much more difficult for them to allow 15k/2years instead.

I like how they chose Turbo DI engines.

Me too. Waiting for more information from Mobil, I wondered if there was going to be certain declaimers about the 20,000 mile/ 1 year interval. Such as, that long of oil changes could be done in non-turbo-charged, but, turbo-charged would need to be shorter.

Another thing I like about this oil and actually all their oils, is that the SA level is at 8%. This is good for DI engines.

Competitive boutique brands are still using older technology where SA is around 1.3+% where calcium levels are around 3,600 ppm+. Not good for LSPI.

Mobil is clearly the leader among long drain oils.

It all sounds great on paper and screen but if your engine is diluting your oil with fuel like many DI engines do, then what? 20k is a lot of dilution.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: smithph
Interesting if true...

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...Home-T1_M1APPOP

Note that the "Oil Breakdown" chart also seems to be demonstrating that the M1 AP was shearing faster than the competition...maybe a little TOO honest?

Can one make that assumption if the temperatures and parameters are unknown? How much of a change is that chart really showing? Is that decline, 1% or 5%, we don't know enough to know if it really is significant. Higher the temp, usually lower the viscosity, right? But then why doesn't the other oils follow suit? Interesting thing you brought up, hard to determine without values on the axes?

It should be noted too that M1 AP has a SA of .8. Boutique brands are using older, less expensive approaches to long drain intervals by boosting their oils with high levels of calcium, which we know is not good for LSPI and DI engines.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Interesting if true...

Note that the "Oil Breakdown" chart also seems to be demonstrating that the M1 AP was shearing faster than the competition...maybe a little TOO honest?

Can one make that assumption if the temperatures and parameters are unknown? How much of a change is that chart really showing? Is that decline, 1% or 5%, we don't know enough to know if it really is significant. Higher the temp, usually lower the viscosity, right? But then why doesn't the other oils follow suit? Interesting thing you brought up, hard to determine without values on the axes?

Good point, we can't really get any specifics from that chart, just a trend.
Most people looking at that chart probably wouldn't even make the slightest note of the extra dip, but I'd bet many BITOGers would jump up and yell, "THAT M1 IS SHEARING!!!"
;^)

Originally Posted By: volk06
Interesting if true...

Good point, we can't really get any specifics from that chart, just a trend.
Most people looking at that chart probably wouldn't even make the slightest note of the extra dip, but I'd bet many BITOGers would jump up and yell, "THAT M1 IS SHEARING!!!"
;^)

TGDI engines: oil isn't shearing it's fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: AirBull
I saw it at my local WalMart in Cedar Park last night and didn't originally find this thread. They started stocking the shelves with all the new Extended Performance oil filters a couple of weeks ago, but just put the AP oil up this week. I still don't see the justification for the nearly 2x price over M1 Extended Performance.

Here's Kurt Busch's new M1 AP car:

Since when has Ford made a two-door Fusion???

Interesting if true...

Looks impressive. I'll probably use it.

I appreciate that Turbo/DI engines were selected, but am I missing something? There's no detail of how they amassed the 120k miles? Start up and shut down each day? 24/7 operation? Cold starts? Multiple starts and stops per day?

I have no doubt its robust, and the thin film oxidation test looks impressive, but all the "within specs" stuff isnt useful unless we know how the engine start/stop and cold start conditions were set up in the test...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It all sounds great on paper and screen but if your engine is diluting your oil with fuel like many DI engines do, then what? 20k is a lot of dilution.

Agree. With the proliferation of DI/TGDI engines, this may be a nice oil appearing at exactly the wrong time. If anything, OCIs should be shrinking in response to fuel dilution, which oil quality can't do much to ameliorate.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting if true...

Looks impressive. I'll probably use it.

I appreciate that Turbo/DI engines were selected, but am I missing something? There's no detail of how they amassed the 120k miles? Start up and shut down each day? 24/7 operation? Cold starts? Multiple starts and stops per day?

I have no doubt its robust, and the thin film oxidation test looks impressive, but all the "within specs" stuff isnt useful unless we know how the engine start/stop and cold start conditions were set up in the test...

I made similar comments earlier. My guess is their test doesn't include too many cold starts. They are focusing on conditions where someone puts on 20k miles in a year which means a lot of hwy driving and not much short tripping.

They have chosen the 20k/1yr limit for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back