New Mobil 1 0w40 Super Car

I own a 2022 Corvette, and before that, a 2015 with a dry sump engine. The 2015 came with a 5w-30 recommendation, which GM later changed to 0w-40. After the warranty period on the 2022, I think I will run 5w-30. The car is out of service all winter, so sub freezing operation never occurs. And the car is almost always under 3000 rpm.

And I am suspicious and resentful of the Dexos licensing requirement. I actually prefer Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Shell lubrication experts are just as good as the folks at ExxonMobil. How could an oil good for a supercharged Hellcat be unsatisfactory for a direct injected, naturally aspirated Vette?

Tying a warranty to the use of products that GM collects licensing fees probably violates Moss-Magnuson.
And Mobil 1 was FF in the Viper for years - then one day? not good enough for a Neon -
Yeah, business & engineering relationships save time/money through trust … Something that’s looked down upon on this site not short of “gotcha” types …

In summary - seems this new name was meant to avoid confusion over 0W40 PVL’s …
GM rolls with Dexos/Dexron and that’s pretty simple to me …

If you consider that the Porsche only drives 0W40 in the racing car, even in the LMP1 vehicle, where in theory a 10w40 would make more sense. Nevertheless, they have been doing it and without any problems for more than 20 years now. Then this large spread should not be wrong even with our vehicles with short intervals. It also depends on the use and the installed engine.

As a 2022 Camaro owner, Mobil 1's naming of all their 0W-40 oils is rather annoying and confusing!
They “name” the oil for the grade and winter rating the oil tests for and achieves per SAE J300. That’s why the specific license, specification or approval is what’s important.

It does get complicated though when in reality more than one variety is completely acceptable in an application.

They “name” the oil for the grade and winter rating the oil tests for and achieves per SAE J300. That’s why the specific license, specification or approval is what’s important.

It does get complicated though when in reality more than one variety is completely acceptable in an application.
More so how they have the following available, it gets a little convoluted.

Mobil 1 FS ("European Car Formula")
Mobil 1 ESP
Mobil 1 ESPx3
Mobil 1 Supercar

Was just looking up some more on Supercar, looks like Amazon has a really good price on it compared to everyone else out there.
$21 for 6 quarts.

It's $68 for 6 quarts at Speedway Motors.

Yes, different oils with different properties reflected in different licenses and approvals.
How different is Supercar from ESP? Everything I've read points to Supercar being a re-branded ESP?

What's the "x3" in ESPx3 give over "regular ESP?"

This oil and clearing up all this confusion is what brought me to this site.

How different is Supercar from ESP? Everything I've read points to Supercar being a re-branded ESP?

What's the "x3" in ESPx3 give over "regular ESP?"

This oil and clearing up all this confusion is what brought me to this site.
That’s the thing, approvals and licenses are designed to reduce confusion not increase it. What are you looking for? Just because it says “supercar” doesn’t mean it is appropriate or superior for your engine.

That’s the thing, approvals and licenses are designed to reduce confusion not increase it. What are you looking for? Just because it says “supercar” doesn’t mean it is appropriate or superior for your engine.
Here's my thread I posted about it all. Interesting read.
Thank you.

You need an oil with the proper dexos license that is either a 30 or a -40 grade. Either one will work and have a sufficient HT/HS.

You need an oil with the proper dexos license that is either a 30 or a -40 grade. Either one will work and have a sufficient HT/HS.

The c8 Corvette requires a 0w40 either dexos 2 certified (2020-222) or dexos R certified (2023+)

Looks like they added some things to the PDS and now have a 5w50.

1675974802807.jpg

Back