New Michelin Primacy MXM4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Thanks! Sounds like they will meet my wishes of a quiet, good-riding, fuel-efficient tire.

Did you ever buy these Michelins? What are your impressions of the tires?

Didn't end up buying them. For all the carping about the OEM tires on my Cruze, they do have the over-arching attributes of being on the car right now, and "paid for". I'm going to run them until they're not safe in the winter with approximately 4/32" of tread left. At that point, I'll spring for the Michelins.

I have a new Sonata Ltd. that came with Kumho tires; they are noisy and everyone agrees they are hard-riding. The weakest link of the whole car, most owners say.

I put 3200 miles on them until I couldnt stand the hard ride and noise, so I traded them in on a set of Michelin MXM4 recently.
well, now i know where the noise comes from: not the tires but rather the lack of sound-insulation in the car.
the tires are nice & soft but still the noise comes through on anything but the smoothest pavement.
I think I just threw away $600 for nothing.

Bigmutt,

I am really curious about something. Ya' see, I encounter folks who frequently blame tires for problems that are caused by something else - as in your case.

What I want to know is: What made you think it was the tires making excessive noise as opposed to not enough sound insulation?

How influential were other folks who claimed the same thing? Have you encountered folks who don't believe that the problem isn't in the tires even after you share your experience? How have you handled them?

A big X10 on the lack of sound insulation in the Hyundai.

I test drove a new Elantra and felt the floorboard flutter over RR tracks! Haven't felt that since the 60's!

Got to pinch pennies somewhere...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I test drove a new Elantra and felt the floorboard flutter over RR tracks! Haven't felt that since the 60's!

X11 to that! The penny-pinching is pretty easy to make out in the new Elantras. It's harder to tell where cost-cutting took place in the more expensive Cruze, at least IMO. So, there's a Cruze as my DD instead of a Elantra.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Bigmutt,

I am really curious about something. Ya' see, I encounter folks who frequently blame tires for problems that are caused by something else - as in your case.

What I want to know is: What made you think it was the tires making excessive noise as opposed to not enough sound insulation?

How influential were other folks who claimed the same thing? Have you encountered folks who don't believe that the problem isn't in the tires even after you share your experience? How have you handled them?

Capri, is there a right answer to these questions? I'm curious since it does seem to be very difficult to pinpoint whether a car is loud from the tires or lack of sound deadening.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Capri, is there a right answer to these questions?....

No. This is about me trying to understand how people think, so I can do a better job.

Originally Posted By: cchase
........I'm curious since it does seem to be very difficult to pinpoint whether a car is loud from the tires or lack of sound deadening.

That may be true, but there are lots of things that are easy for me to understand - and other folks don't. What I really am getting at is: Is it possible for me to change their mind? Am I wasting my time trying? - Those sorts of questions.

Originally Posted By: bigmutt
I have a new Sonata Ltd. that came with Kumho tires; they are noisy and everyone agrees they are hard-riding. The weakest link of the whole car, most owners say.

I put 3200 miles on them until I couldnt stand the hard ride and noise, so I traded them in on a set of Michelin MXM4 recently.
well, now i know where the noise comes from: not the tires but rather the lack of sound-insulation in the car.
the tires are nice & soft but still the noise comes through on anything but the smoothest pavement.
I think I just threw away $600 for nothing.

Some retailers and tire brands like Michelin have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and will return the tires. They will probably want to first exchange the tires rather than refund. You would need to held on to your old tires and it's not really the tires fault (unless you were advised that tires would fix the noise concern) so I don't know how fair it would be to return them. I don't know if they have the type of guarantee in Mexico though.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

X11 to that! The penny-pinching is pretty easy to make out in the new Elantras. It's harder to tell where cost-cutting took place in the more expensive Cruze, at least IMO. So, there's a Cruze as my DD instead of a Elantra.

You have to figure new Hyundai buyers are either not very discriminating or get wrapped up on price and hype and don't really test the car out before buying. You got to figure a car is not going to be much quieter than the way it originally came. If a fix for high noise level was as simple and cheap as selecting a different tire, you got to figure the automaker would've done that. Generally they don't put noisy tires on as OE. I guess if the car is used and the tires have some age you could be tricked into thinking it's the tires to blame.

...........well, now i know where the noise comes from: not the tires but rather the lack of sound-insulation in the car............

Looks like you have a future project: adding sound insulation to your car. I think some manufacturers are leaving it off to save weight, and get an improved fuel economy rating.

...........well, now i know where the noise comes from: not the tires but rather the lack of sound-insulation in the car............

Looks like you have a future project: adding sound insulation to your car. I think some manufacturers are leaving it off to save weight, and get an improved fuel economy rating.

I've found the rear wheel wells and interior part of rear quarter panels in the trunk area to be the biggest sources of road noise in cars that I have put sound dampers/barriers/deadners. Hood too. I see many semi/luxury cars nowadays even come with 'carpet' like weatherproof felt material that lines the rear wheel wells for this reason; my Mazda 6 has this and I've seen it on newer Lexus and I think Avalon/Camry I'm sure there are others.

Yeah! I've got my work cut out for me. but it's nice that folks on this (and other) forum have posted their procedures: thanks to you for sharing.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

well, Capri, there were some actual signs that it was the tires: like, when swinging the car back and forth on smooth pavement the noise increased when the tires were stressed. but mainly it was many, many comments on the Hyundai Sonata forums complaining about the tires, and numerous users reporting much-improved results when they swapped out their OEM tires for top-line tires. I discounted those who reported improvements when they ditched well-used OEMs for some new tires: any new tire is going to feel great when you've gotten used to riding on well-used rubber.
No, no one has disagreed with my assessment so far;
Obviously when you get rid of almost-new tires you're going to want to research what others' experiences were .... and that's what I did.
I guess those who reported big positive changes just wanted to be convinced that they did the right thing and didn't waste their money, so they look to reduce the cognitive dissonance that happens when actual results don't meet expectations.
Oh well, live-and-learn, is what my dad always used to say. Luckily my finances are not so tight as to make this a big financial hardship. And I do have a much better warranty now than I did with the OEMs.

All low profile tires are expensive.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
$228 each in my size (235/45/17). Ouch! At this price, they'd better be doing dishes, laundry, and mowing my lawn, too.

Personally, I've never been able to justify Michelin's poor price-performance ratio.

Had a set installed on my boss's B6 Passat in the proper 215/55-16 97H XL size. These tires felt incredibly sticky and sure-footed on curves, even right out of the box. Slightly noisier than the MXV4 (subjective) but traction and handling do seem noticeably better. Cost seems to vary wildly, but the prices are very competitive with other tires in this size. I would highly recommend this tire to anyone who is looking for a fantastic all-season tire on a somewhat sportier application.

I have a 2011 Sonata GLS, came with Kumho Solus KH25. Now at 29,000 miles. Interior noise in the car is deafening. My ears literally start ringing after 20-30 minutes on the highway. Tires are all down to 4/32's tread depth, so I plan to replace with Michelin Primacy MXV4's in the next month or so.

Will it make much of a difference? Maybe, maybe not. But I need new tires anyway so might as well go for a tire with a good reputation for being "low noise". I am definitely not getting the Kumho again, that much I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back