MICHELIN® PRIMACY™ 3

205/55R17 91W MO BSW

Does anyone have experience with the tire (in any size) this is a Mercedes OE tire (MO) from i am not sure what, guessing a CLA or something like that.

This is the only tire Michelin shows in this size. (excepting winter)

Tire Rack shows a PILOT SPORT PS2 (N1 Porsche) that Michelin does not but also says the Primacy 3 is not available in 205/55R17 Based on the VERY few TR reviews of the Primacy it seems to be an older tire. The PS2 is probably not what I'm looking for.

The Michelin Primacy 3 is a fine grand touring summer tire. It has since been replaced by the Primacy 4, but grand touring summer tires aren't really sold in the US that much, except as OE tires on some European cars like your CLA.

If you really want to, you can even buy them on ebay from overseas sellers.

Does it have to be Michelin? :unsure:
If not, the ContiPremiumContact is also good stuff.
The Goodyear EfficientGrip is another good choice.

Does it have to be Michelin? :unsure:
If not, the ContiPremiumContact is also good stuff.
The Goodyear EfficientGrip is another good choice.
I’m generally a Michelin fan because I’ve had great service from them over the years so I always explore if there is a Michelin option.

There seems to be a bit of a dearth of tires in this size… Pirellis are an option but I may try Quatrac Pros. They did well in TR testing…

Vredestein makes their Sportrac 5 in your size. Sometimes Vulcan Tire has them in-stock.

They also make the Ultrac Satin in 205/55-17, but they stopped selling it here last year when they revamped their US lineup :mad:

The Pirelli P1 and P7 are good choices too.

If you still want Michelin, I found the Primacy 4 on ebay from a seller in Italy for only slightly more than the Primacy 3 costs in the US. This particular listing is for the "MO" marked OE Mercedes tires. Speed rating is W.

This British seller has the non-OE Primacy 4 for just over $1000 for the set of 4, including shipping to the US. Still not a bad price considering that Michelin tires can cost that much in the US, anyway. The speed rating is V.

I'd probably be better off with an all season, I was just curious about the Primacy 3.

TN is more likely to get snow than GA but still not enough to warrant a separate set of winter wheels (last time it showed there it was like 70 degrees 2 days later.)

It seems as if many of the tires that are available in this size are OE tires either Mercedes or BMW/Mini.

Anyhow...

As Slacktide said Primacy 3 is a grand touring summer tire that has been replaced by the Primacy 4 (some three years ago). It's been quite popular in Europe and tire availability/choice in NA/Europe differ greatly. I'd still recommend both Primacy 3 & 4 if you're looking for a smooth riding summer tire. The Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) has been a great ultra high performance tire some 15 years ago and I had these at that time, but it has been replaced by the PS3, PS4 and the even sportier Pilot SuperSport (PSS) and PS4S. If you want something more performance than the Primacy, I'd consider the PS4. I'm currently running the PS4 on my 911 (205 & 245 16 without Porsche spec) and the PSS both on my Cooper (205/45 R17 BMW/Mini spec) and my GTI (225/40 R18 HN spec). So some kind of a 'Michelin fan' too.

I'd probably be better off with an all season, I was just curious about the Primacy 3.

TN is more likely to get snow than GA but still not enough to warrant a separate set of winter wheels (last time it showed there it was like 70 degrees 2 days later.)

It seems as if many of the tires that are available in this size are OE tires either Mercedes or BMW/Mini.

Anyhow...

In that case, get the Quatracs :)

I'd consider the PS4

If they make it they don't import it in this size.

Suppose a set of 18" BBS or GTI/GLI take offs would open my options up considerably ... heck even a set of S or SE 16's would open up my options... I thought 17's would have good options when I bought the car, i was mistaken about this particular one though.

PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 - SIZE: 205/50ZR17​

Hmm... about 20 revs per mile difference, recommended as GTI winter size...

I thought 17's would have good options when I bought the car, i was mistaken about this particular one though.

What width are these wheels? If 7.0" you could also fit 225/50 R17 tires which is a more popular size.

Same rolling diameter als 205/55R17 91W, but if this has been a typo in your post and you need
replacements for your Jetta, which uses to run 205/55 R16, 205/50 R17 and 225/45 R17, tire choice
shouldn't be that much of an issue.

One of our members who had not great service out of Quattrac 5's is deterring me a bit, but it is a front runner for sure...

Michelin makes the CrossClimate in your size, but they don't sell it in the US. You could always import it from Europe, if you want :sneaky:

A lot of people on here do like Vredestein, though.

What width are these wheels? If 7.0" you could also fit 225/50 R17 tires which is a more popular size.

They are 7" VW Trenton Wheels.

Good options there too...

Michelin makes the CrossClimate in your size, but they don't sell it in the US. You could always import it from Europe, if you want :sneaky:

A lot of people on here do like Vredestein, though.

Now that is interesting too...

The thing that bothers me about them is the directional pattern...

This might be bingo:

PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 - SIZE: 215/50ZR17​

Within 11 revs per mile of one of the OE tires.

I'm probably going to have to argue with tire rack though...

225/50-17 would be closer to the OE diameter, difference is only 1 revolution per mile.
Very small selection in the 205/55/17 size. Most of the tires are W or Y speed rated with low tread wear ratings. Moving to an alternate size gives you a better selection.

Back