New M1 0w40 availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
I guess the question is how to tell this new formula from the previous one?

I'm willing to do a taste test to compare
lol.gif

I'm hoping to see some marketing "blended for use with E10, ethanol".... on some of the non-SN oils. I was happy to see that SN/GF5 would be mainstream by summer. Looks like were off to an early and excellent start.

And, since my lawnmower, tractor, generator, boat .... are forced to use E10 too, I hope that the "marketed for ethanol/E10/FFV" oils are added to the SAE30 and non automotive oils. Otherwise, I'll just use the M1 0w40 in them.

I haven't seen too many of the 5w40 or 0w30 shear down as easily as Mobil1 0w40. So, if TDT or T6 5w40 turn into 5w30, then yes, they are too.

And, Nissan needs to come out of the 5w20 closet. Their Ester 5w30 turns into a 5w20 if you shake the bottle for a minute.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's been this way for a month or more....

The PDS changed 2 months ago or so, yes, but how can we tell which bottles are which? I want the new stuff
20.gif

Last edited:

Larger question is does it matter?

Originally Posted By: unDummy

And, Nissan needs to come out of the 5w20 closet. Their Ester 5w30 turns into a 5w20 if you shake the bottle for a minute.

ROFL. Dude, that was hilarious!!!

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Larger question is does it matter?

You won't know until you compare, but you can't compare until you know.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I mis-spoke here, it's ILSAC that limits ZDDP levels, not API.

Actually, you were right on both counts. API limits the ZDDP content, but not nearly to the degree that ILSAC does, particularly if we're looking at API limits of things like 0w-40. RP 0w-40 must be a cheater, too, since it's SM.
wink.gif

Cheating or just pathetic performers is for you to decide. The UOA sections has pages and pages of data. What good are spec's if they're invalid after a couple hundred miles? Paper spec comparison is pretty much useless.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Cheating or just pathetic performers is for you to decide. The UOA sections has pages and pages of data. What good are spec's if they're invalid after a couple hundred miles? Paper spec comparison is pretty much useless.

SM is different from SM/GF-4. Oh that cheating Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40
crackmeup2.gif

What we're trying to say is this: ILSAC does not apply to these oils in question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
SM is different from SM/GF-4. Oh that cheating Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40
crackmeup2.gif

What we're trying to say is this: ILSAC does not apply to these oils in question.

Exactly. I have run very few ILSAC rated oils in the last number of years, and have only gone back to them after the F-150 got rebuilt. Before that, it was all Valvoline MaxLife and Delvac 1300 15w-40 for it, and HDEO, GC, and RP for the Audi (until this winter). Lots of SM oil (aside from the GC), but no GF-4 until the QS GB.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The higher HTHS and MRV viscosities means this is a somewhat heavier oil across the board.
The lower KV40 and KV100 spec's would lead one to conclude the use of better quality base stocks and/or less or better quality VII's.

I love the cut of your jib sir! This new formula sounds awesome. Picked some up yesterday on sale at AZ. Hope I got the new stuff. Not like the old isn't great too though. Any word yet on how to identify the new? I can provide pics of mine. It should be new since I caught it on the last day of the sale and I got 5 of the last 7 bottles they even had. They move a ton of M1 0w40 at this store, especially on an awesome sale like they had.

Checked my bottles today and didn't see anything noticeable. However, there were numbers on the bottom in form of...

01-04
01-14
01-19
01-15
01-16

...one per bottle. Any chance this is meaning January 4th, etc? No other number to tell a year, IF that's their meaning. Other than that, I read everything on both sides and didn't notice any kind of indicator other than maybe the scan bar codes.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
............No other number to tell a year, IF that's their meaning. Other than that, I read everything on both sides and didn't notice any kind of indicator other than maybe the scan bar codes.

Check with a UV lamp?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back