New Integra is…..

Who is this car marketed at? People who have to have big tall cars, but liked the name and have fond memories of it? Just like most of Acura the last 20 years, what a bust.

IMG_0799.jpg

There were some really cool unofficial renderings out there that spoiled this official release for me. Not that i dislike it, but i feel the Integra deserved more attention and detail. I'm sure this is just the base.

Is the 1.5 really seen as that bad? We have the 1.5T in a 6mt civic and it is a blast to drive. The torque hits early, so you can loaf the rpms far more than a four should allow, and it has all of the honda precision at 4500 rpm. It’s not peaky, which I like, though folks used to a peaky 4 might want the peaky 4 behavior. It has the feel more of a baby v6 in that regard.

maybe most have only driven it in an automatic? An automatic can easily hide and even kill the best aspects of a small engine. I find this one to be a hoot.

im pretty sure the max boost pressure we’ve measured on ours is around 8psi. There’s probably room to squeeze more out with a tune as well.

m

I’m sure it’ll be a fine car, but I’m not really seeing a huge market for a 5-door near-premium hatch/sedan. Save some cash and get a near-mechanically-identical Civic, or spend a little more and get something a bit more “special”. A3, Q3, 2-Series, X1, CT4, etc.

Yup... It's a Civic in Acura clothing. Not very nice looking clothing IMHO. Not even remotely interesting. Acura used to be on the cutting edge, not now....

Not feeling it with the 1.5. Was hoping the TLX Type S would have set the bar a little higher than that. They're getting 205hp out of the 1.5 currently, and I think that's about as far as you'd want to push that motor. You'd have thought they would at least have given it the CTR motor, although they might 'Type-S' the Integra, then I might pay attention.

I am more impressed with what HONDA is doing with HONDA vehicles that I am with what they're doing with ACURA.

I'm surprised that Acura didn't introduce an HR-V size CUV in their lineup instead of another Civic based sedan(as was the ILX - 2 gen Civics ago).
I am certain that the new Integra(a.k.a. TEG) will be a fine car but I think it's the wrong time. Or is Acura going to introduce a subcompact CUV as well when the 2nd gen HR-V arrives. This is the road I think Acura should be taking.

And I think that the TLX is not quite the car it should be either. Accord size on the outside/Civic size on the inside. WHAAAAT?
In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I am also surprised that Acura is resurrecting the INTEGRA name instead of keeping the ILX(or some other alphabet name) as this is where they've gone.

From the earlier days of the INTEGRA, LEGEND, VIGOR, and then moving to an alphabet name plate for their vehicles as most "premium/luxury" brands have done. I am just surprised that Acura isn't keeping with the alpha name plates and I hope they rethink this one. Maybe going back to the RS in which I like better than ILX.

I don’t think the overall shape is bad once you look past the graphics, the wheels/tires, and the pointy front end.
I’m still bitter about the 1990 Integra I bought new and drove for 12 years. It was not a good car.
A couple days ago I found the Acura brochure I picked up from that time.
come to think of it, the Legend would make a cool retro electric car.
B57F588D-2D22-4EEC-BCB5-49D584EE2D51.jpeg

Is the 1.5 really seen as that bad? We have the 1.5T in a 6mt civic and it is a blast to drive. The torque hits early, so you can loaf the rpms far more than a four should allow, and it has all of the honda precision at 4500 rpm. It’s not peaky, which I like, though folks used to a peaky 4 might want the peaky 4 behavior. It has the feel more of a baby v6 in that regard.

maybe most have only driven it in an automatic? An automatic can easily hide and even kill the best aspects of a small engine. I find this one to be a hoot.

im pretty sure the max boost pressure we’ve measured on ours is around 8psi. There’s probably room to squeeze more out with a tune as well.

m
Depends if you consider fuel dilution to be a bad thing.

Yup... It's a Civic in Acura clothing
But that's with every car company. Lincoln=Ford,Lexus=Toyota,Infinity=Nissan,Acura=Honda,Cadillac=Chevrolet,Mercedes=Chrysler,Jaguar=Ford. And the list goes on and on. Premium cars are only their base siblings with added bling for the most part. Although there are a few exceptions.

When you look at a premium vehicle such as a Lincoln or Caddy, Lexus Acura etc, and compare it to the mainstream vehicle in which they're build on, you'll see & feel the difference between them beyond the extra/cushy features. The build quality is higher, the doors are heavier/close better, they're quieter and don't feel like the same vehicle as the mainstream vehicle they're build from.

I compared a 2015 Honda CR-V and a 2015 Acura RDX and there was no way I could feel the CR-V in the RDX. The RDX was Acurafied.
Same goes for the RAV4 and the Lexus NX. No way they feel the same. The NX was Lexified if you will.
Or the Chevy Equinox and the Cadillac XT5(or whatever the Caddy version of the Equinox/Terrain is called). It's Cadisized. :)

Years ago, I had the opportunity to drive(back-to-back) the '88 Civic and an '88 Integra and the TEG felt more like the Prelude than a Civic.
Or a '15 Civic and a '15 ILX. They just don't feel the same IMO.

Back