New Integra is…..

I graduated high school in 1990 and the Integra was a killer car back then. I was very excited to see how the new Integra would stack up. I was pleasantly surprised with Toyota's re-intro of the Supra. It could be me but I thought this ad campaign was also a failure. Seems to have heavily segmented this iconic vehicle to the urbanites, which is something that can be done effectively AFTER you pull in your whole prospective purchaser population. The Integra of old didn't need to place any population segment in a box to attract customers. The car did that itself.

Jon speaks of 25 years car design history and points to passion, enthusiast, etc... yet barely mentions the 1.5 turbo engine and zero images? Sure, most aren't like us on this site but you can't say 1.5 turbo from the factory and leave it at that. With all the small-displacement turbos out there it gets lost in the crowd. 6 Speed manual offering is AWESOME. Interested to see how many manuals are sold in US and also worldwide.

The ad seemed void of substance. If the new Integra end up being a legitimate remake in enthusiasts' minds, there should have been much more attention to the $30k price mentioned. If it bears out, that is a heck of a feat. Time will tell.

I wouldn’t say epic fail, but my initial reaction is “meh.”

From what I can find, the current Civic Si, which this seems to be highly based off of, is about the same 0-60 and quarter mile times… jury is still out on handling but I imagine the new Integra to be far heavier. And being the 1.5, I doubt we’ll see the glorious 8,000+rpm redline…

Only thing I can say right now is that I'm not feeling that buzz of excitement that I felt the first time I saw a '86 Integra. I was hoping for a sharp departure from their current lineup. Something not so tall and portly. Yawn. TLX Jr. with a hatch.

Acura should have taken more design cues from the NSX rather than the ILX. Make it more unique than a rebadged civic and take off 2 doors.

Looks like a civic with Acura badging. Isn't that what the original Integra was?
It was based on this platform, but there wasn't much family resemblance IMO. DOHC vs. SOHC, suspension differences. May have shared the transmission.

Civic2.jpg

Integra.jpg

I am more impressed with what HONDA is doing with HONDA vehicles that I am with what they're doing with ACURA.

I'm surprised that Acura didn't introduce an HR-V size CUV in their lineup instead of another Civic based sedan(as was the ILX - 2 gen Civics ago).
I am certain that the new Integra(a.k.a. TEG) will be a fine car but I think it's the wrong time. Or is Acura going to introduce a subcompact CUV as well when the 2nd gen HR-V arrives. This is the road I think Acura should be taking.

And I think that the TLX is not quite the car it should be either. Accord size on the outside/Civic size on the inside. WHAAAAT?

I would much rather have a Honda HR-V sized vehicle, with SH-AWD, and Civic Type-R (or Honda Accord Sport) 2.0L Turbo. ~300hp in that platform and with SH-AWD should be plenty to tickle the feathers of the "big boys".

I like the car itself, maybe a bit too tame though.

But a 1.5 turbo!? What a waste of time, throw it away.

Hmmm. So it's basically a Civic Si with an Acura skin. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the 1.5l engine is a bummer. A GTI at the same price has a much stronger engine. Seems like they missed an opportunity to stick the 2.0l engine from the Accord in there. Maybe for the Type R.

I am the target buyer for this thing but it's going to have to come with a compelling feature set to justify the price increase over an Si or what sounds like a performance deficit against the GTI.

jeff

As I said in another outlet, I'll reserve judgment until after test drive. Strictly from a looks perspective, I feel there is room for improvement. It just looks too much like a Civic, but maybe that's who they are trying to attract.

As I said in another outlet, I'll reserve judgment until after test drive. Strictly from a looks perspective, I feel there is room for improvement. It just looks too much like a Civic, but maybe that's who they are trying to attract.
Well, it’s just an ILX (which is a Civic with different trim) 4 door hatch. Drive an ILX, same thing.

I had the first year 86 Integra LS in silver. It was really just an economy cruiser but well built and reliable. Then you paid $1k over invoice and got screwed another grand for AC as it was dealer installed only.

I had 3 Acuras and moved on after 1992. Bland and snoring...lol

Back