New HVAC

Our old HVAC is 27 years old. It has broke twice in the past week. Bryant Legacy series is the best value in town. Anyone have this system? Anyone do HVAC repair? The Bryant guy said all their systems are the same quality and life expectancy with the only difference being multi stage and multi speed fans that cost more to repair but are more efficient. Sound right? Looking at Bryant 800SA gas Furnace And 116B ac. 2.5 Ton and 70k btu. Other choice is same ac but the Evolution 880TA Furnace. Trane wanted $11,000 no thanks. Lennox wanted $7,600 and Bryant wants $5,800 for 800SA and $7,00 for 880TA. We had a 5 year old carrier system at our apartment and the furnace broke twice in 2 years. Our old house we put in Lennox Merit series and the AC broke 5 times in a year and a half of ownership and it could never keep up in the summer. So we have not had good luck with HVAC systems.

Most HVAC systems use same parts as others as the electronics are only made by 2-3 companies now.

Usually the best deal is a Mid-level+ system with low 90%+ efficient furnace and a 15-16 SEER AC system. The higher rated ones take longer to pay back and if they have a problem usually cost more to fix.

Skip the entry level systems and also the "premium" systems. Cheaper systems use lower grade metals in the exchangers and the premium one uses higher tech stuff that cost more to fix. The mid-level or high mid-level ones usually use better metals but not the most cutting edge new tech. So good mix of reliability and cost.

And of course make sure its installed well. Even the best system will be junk and not hold up if not installed well.

The lennox furnace and a/c lasted us 21 years. We just got a Goodman and so far it seems to work great. From what I found out there are only a few companies that manufacture furnaces. The different brands are low medium and high end. Check out and see if the guy can install a Goodman. Your Lennox furnace seemes like a fluke as everyone who I've talked to with one likes theirs.

You mentioned your old Carrier system. You do know that Bryant and Carrier are made by the same company? You may try getting a quote from an American Standard dealer. It's a division of Trane.

Installation installation installation ! This is the biggest factor in getting the most out of your system.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
You mentioned your old Carrier system. You do know that Bryant and Carrier are made by the same company? You may try getting a quote from an American Standard dealer. It's a division of Trane.

Yeah I know Carrier makes Bryant but the Bryant systems are cheaper and from my understanding about 90% the same exact parts.

I tried to get a Goodman quote but it's been two weeks and the dealer never returns calls or called me from my online appointment request. If it's that he's to buy one I don't want to have to contact them for warranty.

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by hemitom
Installation installation installation ! This is the biggest factor in getting the most out of your system.

I would search out and find the best HVAC dealer in your area. "Forget" the brand of unit. Go with the oldest reputable
HVAC dealer. Ask around and I betcha one or two names will pop up over and over.

Whatever brand they sell is what you want. It took me 40 years to learn this most basic lesson.

hemitom is 100% correct X2 +1 to infinity and beyond.

I agree with the general consensus that installation is more important than brand.
The best value IMO is mid grade equipment with a 90+ furnace, and a 13-15 SEER AC system.
I had my AC system replaced a couple of years ago and ended up with a Tempstar (Carrier) unit.
The decision was based on quality of installer, as I probably would have never looked at that make of unit.
I have been happy with it.

Our Carrier needed two repairs in 18 years.
replaced with a Bryant HE with DC variable speed blower. The A/C compressor is single speed. it cost around 8-9k installed. (4 ton A/C, I don't recall the size on the furnace)
I think we've had it 4 years now with zero problems.
Compared with pricing I've seen from friends, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Yes get a reputable installer. Very important. However stay away from Lennox. I am told that the Lennox dealer in my area has had problems with them.

Originally Posted by hemitom

Great advice. Your system will only be as good as the installation..Get a mid level system sized correct with correct duct work with enough supply and return and you will have many years of happiness. Get a expensive system top of the line with a bad install sized wrong enjoy the non stop headaches and no comfort. Install is everything.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz

Yeah I know Carrier makes Bryant but the Bryant systems are cheaper and from my understanding about 90% the same exact parts.

I tried to get a Goodman quote but it's been two weeks and the dealer never returns calls or called me from my online appointment request. If it's that he's to buy one I don't want to have to contact them for warranty.

Thanks for all the replies.

Goodman's problems are that any idiot can be a dealer. I have the only good one.

my neighbor got goodman, about 6 years old and he said its been fine. I asked the other day when helping him get his rocks out of my yard.
(has a rock garden type thing next to his deck with a bunch of large gravel)

We bought a home in 2017 with almost new Trane heat pump systems. No problems to date. Two systems, 6 ton and 4 ton. We have a 10 yr warranty from Trane. And the HVAC company services the units 2 x a year.

Trane/American Standard has the lowest failure rate of all brands. Goodman has the highest failure rate in the industry. Anyone who tells you that Goodman is as good as any is lying to you. That being said, they're not junk. Do stay way from micro channel coils if you can. If you want the cheapest you can get, Goodman it is. I prefer ICP over Goodman. A lot of companies/techs hate Trane because you have to be a certified Trane dealer to buy their products because they don't want any hacks installing their products. You have a lot better chance of having a quality install that way, and less chance of getting a hack job.

If I were needing a system on a budget and couldn't afford Trane, I would be searching and getting referrals for the best installer(s) in my area.

Bryant IS Goodman, as well as those mentioned, including Amana and a few others.

Get the Lennox system, you won't regret it.

We've got a 3 year old York 95% furnace and 14 SEER ac with the microchannel unit. No problems so far, and doesn't seem to eat electricity and gas, though this home is better sealed than my previous one. It's also borderline silent.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Bryant IS Goodman, as well as those mentioned, including Amana and a few others.

Bryant is a Carrier company.
I prefer Trane and American Standard myself. No real reason however.

HVAC pricing can be all over the map. The dealer sets the price, don't be afraid to negotiate.
If you look and see what furnaces, AC condensers, evap coils... cost and what the mark up is, it's absurd.

DUCANE by Lennox 16 SEER 2.5 ton AC condenser $1398
Ducane cased 2.5 ton A coil is $398
Ducane 95% 2 stage 70 BTU furnace is $1148
A less efficient Ducane 80% 70K model is $848.
A line set is about $175 -/+

Some HVAC companies wanna make $500.00-750.00 profit per hour putting in a new system it seems.
The condenser and evap coils are usually pre-charged with refrigerant for up to XX amount of feet for the line.
http://heatandcooldirect.com/New-Ducane-by-Lennox-Central-A-C-Air-Conditioner-Units_c3.htm

Originally Posted by JohnG

Negative. Bryant and Lennox is part of Carrier Global. Goodman/Amana is owned by Daikin. Trane/American Standard is owned by Ingersoll Rand.

Trane is a good system. Stick with top tier systems like Trane, Carrier, Lennox. In Florida high quality HVAC is important. I have Trane here. You can't go lower than a 14 seer. I have a 17 seer two stage.

Back