New HVAC advice (Trane Products specifically)

I'm replacing my 28 yr old system that is still functioning. I've gotten 3 quotes for York, Lennox, and Trane products. I want to first say that I understand these day's the products are similar and it comes down to the install.

I'm leaning towards the Trane setup as their distribution center is 20 minutes away, making future repairs/parts simple. I should be at minimum 15.5 Seer with this setup.

Anyone has experience with the S9X1 furnace? Thoughts?

Here is the set up:

2.5 Ton split sys clg R410A 14 SEER 4TTR4030L1000B

30,000 Nominal cooling capacity 4TXCB003DS3HCA

90%+ Eff, 1 Stg, Multi-speed, 17.5" Wide S9X1B060U4PSBA

Thanks!

I would take Lennox off your list (I know you have it down to a Trane).

Three years ago I purchased a Lennox from their largest dealer. The dealer could not install the replacement furnace properly. They kept sending techs just graduated from HVAC school. After four different techs for a simple install, I decided to reach out to Lennox corporate. They would not take my call, they only took calls from dealers.

I thought to write to the Lennox CEO. He was a USMA graduate (West Point), branched engineer. I know how to talk his language. Could not get his e-mail, nothing.

Lennox has a great marketing department. Maybe a decent product. But they offer zero support when there is a issue. ZERO.

You should be good.
I went with Lennox because I have close access to everything and a great installer. I replaced 17 year old Tranes . One was problematic but the others were fine but it was time.

I replaced two sets of two.
SLP99v Lennox gas furnace is amazingly quiet.

DJA, I would look at this model

S9V2-VS​

It has the two stage gas valve....which is more efficient, especially in your climate where mild winters may never have it operate in a wide open mode. Here is a good tutorial on the differences.

This model also has a DC variable speed blower motor, which works in concert with the two stage gas valve. Variable DC blowers really shine in AC mode to move air slow and steady for maximum dehumidification.

Lastly, remember there are many opinions about HVAC equipment. Talk to someone who has this model. Ask them what they like and dont like. That should help you further decide IMHO.

I have an S9V2 furnace, which is the variable speed and 2-stage version of the S9X1 that also has a quieter cabinet. Absolutely love it. To clarify, from what I understand this is a single speed fan not variable like you mentioned above. I also have the 2.0 ton version of the XR14 A/C...no issues, although I would think in your climate going with a higher SEER rating might make more sense. I also am assuming your home is on the smaller side only needing 2.5 tons in SC?

S9V2-VS​

It has the two stage gas valve....which is more efficient, especially in your climate where mild winters may never have it operate in a wide open mode. Here is a good tutorial on the differences.

This model also has a DC variable speed blower motor, which works in concert with the two stage gas valve. Variable DC blowers really shine in AC mode to move air slow and steady for maximum dehumidification.

Lastly, remember there are many opinions about HVAC equipment. Talk to someone who has this model. Ask them what they like and dont like. That should help you further decide IMHO.
My S9V2 only uses stage 2 when the t-stat is commanding a temp rise of 2 degrees or more. Under routine heating where temp is being maintained these will likely never use stage 2 regardless of climate.

In my former house, I installed a Trane Gas furnace. Not sure what the model was, it was paired with a 5 ton compressor XL19i.
I have not had any issue with the furnace in the 16 years we had it till we moved last year.
Just have to replace the AC Capacitor once on the outside coil unit.
Granted, in TX, our winter is relatively short so the AC is used more.

DJ, One thing that I forgot to mention. I think the Trane, and American Standard AC units still use the "Spin Fin Aluminum" coil.

These should cleaned with care. Check out the videos on You Tube that show this process. Where I live we have lots of cotton wood seeds who in the spring that attach to outside AC condenser coils making annual cleanings a real necessity. I am not sure about the climate you live in, but this could also be a consideration in your decision.

DJ, One thing that I forgot to mention. I think the Trane, and American Standard AC units still use the "Spin Fin Aluminum" coil.

These should cleaned with care. Check out the videos on You Tube that show this process. Where I live we have lots of cotton wood seeds who in the spring that attach to outside AC condenser coils making annual cleanings a real necessity. I am not sure about the climate you live in, but this could also be a consideration in your decision.

1644093482929.jpeg

My 2 stage Armstrong Air 2 stage runs on low speed most of the time and picks up a lot of fuzzies. I vacuum it and simple green it every June-July.

S9V2-VS​

The gentleman choose the furnace I listed as I told him I want a simple setup. As I felt it was less to go wrong. Single speed motor, the most simple furnace possible. My simple, single speed Lennox furnace lasted 28 years... Only a new coil and condensing unit in 2009.

Just an FYI

York quote $7600, company, 5 yr labor, 10 yr parts.
Lennox quote $11,500, company 10 yr labor, 10 yr parts, must have unit serviced 2x through company @ $185 per year.
Trane quote $7000, good friend of my good friend, (commercial HVAC guy, does residential selectively on the side) 10 yr parts/labor. must have unit serviced through him 2x @ $60 per service.

I have an S9V2 furnace, which is the variable speed and 2-stage version of the S9X1 that also has a quieter cabinet. Absolutely love it. To clarify, from what I understand this is a single speed fan not variable like you mentioned above. I also have the 2.0 ton version of the XR14 A/C...no issues, although I would think in your climate going with a higher SEER rating might make more sense. I also am assuming your home is on the smaller side only needing 2.5 tons in SC?

Yes, two of the companies did the calculations yielding 2.5 ton. We will be adding return venting as it's currently short. It's for only my 1st floor, 1100sq ft. Unit will be in the basement so operating noise isn't a factor. We should per his calculations at 16 seer with this set up. Anything over 16seer gets pricy, quick.

DJ, Glad you have someone to service it. That is more than half the battle to making sure it has a long service life.
Good Luck with your choice. Appliances, HVAC equipment, and just about any other asset that requires mechanical service should be the reasonable choice of the future owner. Afterall they are the ones paying for it initially, and paying for the servicing of it long term, and are ultimately the ones who have to live with it.

I know, common sense thoughts, but there a lot of people today whom make purchases without ever considering any of these details.

I have the same exact system with a 2.5 ton AC. Extremely happy all around. Nice steady stream of warm air in the winter no hot then cold like my old system system. AC is nice and comfy same steady cool air very comfortable. The whole system is nice and quiet zero service calls in I think about 6 years

Yes, two of the companies did the calculations yielding 2.5 ton. We will be adding return venting as it's currently short. It's for only my 1st floor, 1100sq ft. Unit will be in the basement so operating noise isn't a factor. We should per his calculations at 16 seer with this set up. Anything over 16seer gets pricy, quick.
My system is in my finished basement it is a factor the noise in my old system I could here in my living room through the floor.

Back