New Honda HRX217HYA Mower Drive Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I just got a new Honda HRX217HYA to replace my 13 year old HRR. The mower functions very well, the cut is very good, etc. My concern is a noise when I engage drive. It's like a groaning noise or lower pitched whine that's loudest when first engaging drive and then to a lesser degree while the mower is moving. It's not so loud it completely drowns out the engine but it's also not what I would call a pleasant sound either. HRX owners with the Hydrostatic trans.: is this normal?

Edit: I'm confident it's nothing to do with the engine, it sounds great and even when engaging drive the engine sound is pretty constant, doesn't even really bog down at all.

Last edited:
I've had 3 customers experience this on their Honda HRX's and it is definitely coming from the transmission. One had the drive replaced under warranty with Honda and the new transmission doesn't make the noise anymore, the other two have kept using them going on 2 years now without any issues. Personally, I would have it checked out by Honda considering how much these mowers cost new, and how many transmissions I've had to replace on Honda mowers over the years, but I also don't think it is necessarily abnormal or a severe issue. I believe it has to do with it being an actual fluid filled hydro transmission, similar to those found on riding lawn mowers which can also have a low groaning noise when the hydro pump is working. They are excellent mowers, does yours have the GCV190 or GCV200? The nexite deck on the HRX is a major upgrade.

My HRX made a low groan when engaging the drive. It's a ~2011 model that I need to sell as I moved 4 years ago and it's been stored in the garage all that time save for a blade sharpening and random startup. I'm 99% sure mine still groans and I used it for 4 years without any issues. I think it's normal. Wonder what I should ask for this thing?

Mine has the GCV200, the engine sounds great. The drive groan is not a pleasant noise but at the same time it doesn't necessarily make me think the mower is falling apart. For the price I don't want it to make this noise, though.

Give it full volume to hear over the engine but this gives you an idea of the noise. It's actually more prevalent in person than the video.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not the case for this Honda mower being new, but a common cause of drive system failure on these is when the drive axle bushings seize up and put too much drag on the drive system, eventually cooking the hydro drive. Using the mower in wet grass or letting the mower get wet makes the issue happen fast.

Happens on the single speed gear drive units as well. Factory fix is remove and replace the bushings. I've fixed them by removing, cleaning and re-lubing the bushings.

You can't tell the drive axle bushings are seized by pushing the mower as it's in free-wheel mode when not under power.

Alright, so I returned the mower to Home Depot. The sound just wasn't right, esp. having purchased the most expensive mowers in the class (could've saved a little money and bought a Toro, but I wanted a Honda which has the feature set I want, plus better overall reviews). Not wanting to exchange it for the next box on the shelf which could've been the next sequential serial number, likely to have the same lot of transmissions, I went to a completely different store, a local power equipment dealer and bought the same model. After initial startup and one pass in the yard the noise is much less pronounced, what I would call acceptable. I'll report back after mowing under load but right now I'm glad I dumped that one instead of messing around with a repair of my brand new lawnmower.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Alright, so I returned the mower to Home Depot. The sound just wasn't right, esp. having purchased the most expensive mowers in the class (could've saved a little money and bought a Toro, but I wanted a Honda which has the feature set I want, plus better overall reviews). Not wanting to exchange it for the next box on the shelf which could've been the next sequential serial number, likely to have the same lot of transmissions, I went to a completely different store, a local power equipment dealer and bought the same model. After initial startup and one pass in the yard the noise is much less pronounced, what I would call acceptable. I'll report back after mowing under load but right now I'm glad I dumped that one instead of messing around with a repair of my brand new lawnmower.

You made the right choice. Did Home Depot give you problems? Once bought a SnoTek snow blower from there way before the snow season in early October. It sat unused for nearly 30 days. But within that 30 days, there was an unusual forecast for a 3in snow, in October! I thought it was a great time to test out the blower. When I moved it, I saw a puddle of oil underneath the drain tube. Thinking the drain nut was loose, I tightened it and moved the snow by hand. But the drain pipe-end kept leaking oil. Brought it back to The Home Depot and their garden department head tried to imply that was returning it after using the product, even though I clearly didn't. Even if I did, it was still allowed under the return period. And the manager was involved, all over a snow blower that was leaking oil and was clearly unused and within the return period. Manager was understanding, though. They took it back, but I will never forget that experience. And thank god for that unusual early snow. Otherwise, I would have been stuck with leaking snow blower.

Went to Sears right after and got a craftsman. No issues so far other than a tire losing air within the first year and it was repaired under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back