New Honda Genset-- what would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the proud papa of a new Honda EB5000 genset.
grin2.gif
It has the GX340 engine.

It will be a backup unit, excersized monthly when not in use.

Honda says to use 10w-30 and change after the first 20 hrs, then every 100 hours thereafter.
shocked2.gif

To me, this seems like an awfully long time between changes for an engine with a 1.6 qt. sump and no oil filter.

It still has the FF at this point, and only an hour of runtime. I assume that Honda engineers know what they're doing, but geeze......

What would you oil fanatics run if this was your generator? And what would you use as an OCI?

Thanks,
Greg

I have had 10kw genset since 2000. Bought new, only used half a dozen times, but excersize montly. In Indiana we have wide climate swings, so I run Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 year around. Depending on the hours, I only change my oil and filter every other year. Gas gets changed every fall. My standard proceedure for new small engines, run very short time with factory fill (if it came with any, break in with Mobil 15w-40, run a short time with 5w-40, then finish off with one more change of 5w-40. Philip.

If it rarely gets used, you really want to exercise it monthly? That's a lot of messing with gas and fuel stabilizer. I'd personally run it until dry with a tiny amount of Gas/Stabil mix and leave it dry. Any 30wt variant will do excellent in this engine.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
If it rarely gets used, you really want to exercise it monthly? That's a lot of messing with gas and fuel stabilizer. I'd personally run it until dry with a tiny amount of Gas/Stabil mix and leave it dry. Any 30wt variant will do excellent in this engine.

Joel

Actually, I look forward to running my gensets. It gives me a bit of "man time" outside with my toys. And it gives me piece of mind that it will work when the need arises.

Oh I hear you on that, it's just IMO, the risks of leaving it gassed up outweigh the benefits.

Joel

I have a gen with a Honda engine I run the carb out of gas and it sits I keep the tank full and I never have trouble with it not starting. I keep the gas in it at least a year. No stabil and I run 15w/40 HDEO.

Originally Posted By: philipsearcy
I have had 10kw genset since 2000. Bought new, only used half a dozen times, but excersize montly. In Indiana we have wide climate swings, so I run Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 year around. Depending on the hours, I only change my oil and filter every other year. Gas gets changed every fall. My standard proceedure for new small engines, run very short time with factory fill (if it came with any, break in with Mobil 15w-40, run a short time with 5w-40, then finish off with one more change of 5w-40. Philip.

in the recent ice storm in AR, i put 14 days of continuous use on my GX360. i would have changed the oil, but toward the last 4 days i kept believing Ozark Electric when they said it would be just a bit longer.... i also knew i had M1 0w-40 in it, and while it was way over the recommended run time on the oil, i was pretty confident i hadn't flayed the 0w40. i will be sending in an OA sample in a day or two, and we will see. i like the idea of running delvac1 in the unit as well.

use good oil. when the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are dropping ranging shots around you is not the time to be thinking about your oil in the generator getting past time to change...

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
Originally Posted By: philipsearcy

in the recent ice storm in AR, i put 14 days of continuous use on my GX360. i would have changed the oil, but toward the last 4 days i kept believing Ozark Electric when they said it would be just a bit longer.... i also knew i had M1 0w-40 in it, and while it was way over the recommended run time on the oil, i was pretty confident i hadn't flayed the 0w40. i will be sending in an OA sample in a day or two, and we will see. i like the idea of running delvac1 in the unit as well.

use good oil. when the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are dropping ranging shots around you is not the time to be thinking about your oil in the generator getting past time to change...

Looking forward to that analysis.

With the cost of this unit I'm not too worried about the cost of the oil it runs. (My first car only cost about 1/2 as much!)

Mobil 1 15-50 works wonders here in Florida. (remember that it's hot here nearly year 'round). I lost 2 Honda powered water pumps with conventional oils. They simply did not hold up to the heat and constant use. Same goes for generators used in South Florida.

When I switched to Mobil 1 15-50 (years ago) my engine failures ended. But, I also switched engine brands to Kawasaki and Robin where possible.

I recently purchased a Honda powered pressure washer (GX390). I installed Mobil 1 15-50 (as usual) and so far it's performing just like in all my other engines! It is clean after 50 hours use, when I change it.

I went 14 days with no power during the recent ice storm in northeast Arkansas. Bought a Briggs brand 5500 Storm Responder that preferred 5w30 synthetic. After the breakin period, I refilled with pp and had to start it on three mornings that the temp was below 20. It started first pull each time, but i wonder if i need it in the summer months will this be ok, it gets just as hot here as it does cold.

Sounds like there's no real consensus when it comes to genset oils....

It seems to me that synthetics would be ideal, though....most gensets sit for long periods of time and then get the tar run out of them for several days at a time........

The fact that these units sit for long periods of time is another good reason to use an HDEO. I probably wouldn't run a 15W-40 in a brand new unit ... at least not until I got 20-30+ hours on it ... unless it is the during the hottest weather of the year.

For something like a water pump or generator that runs at a moderate-to-high RPM for hours on end, the chief concern with a multi-viscosity is shearing ... leading to the thin oil getting consumed in various ways then the sump running dry and seizing the motor.

The carb'd engine also can add a fair amount of fuel to the sump (another good reason for HDEOs) which can lead to dilution and further thinning.

gd9704, if you like to run your engines every month or so, be sure to run them for at least 15-20 minutes so they get up to temp and clean out somewhat before shutting them down.

Cujet, what conventional oils did you use in the Hondas that croaked? Just curious.

Oil is cheap and the sumps in questrion are rather small. I don't go more than 20-25 hours on OPE before I dump the oil (assuming it doesn't have a filter). I was even a firefighter years ago and we had porta-pumps at a nursing home running 'round the clock. We changed the oil at midnight in the middle of a flood to ensure they would last through the event. It can be done. Oil change on most OPE can be done in 5-10 minutes or less if you're in a hurry.

Can't wait to see the UOA on that 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
The fact that these units sit for long periods of time is another good reason to use an HDEO. I probably wouldn't run a 15W-40 in a brand new unit ... at least not until I got 20-30+ hours on it ... unless it is the during the hottest weather of the year.

For something like a water pump or generator that runs at a moderate-to-high RPM for hours on end, the chief concern with a multi-viscosity is shearing ... leading to the thin oil getting consumed in various ways then the sump running dry and seizing the motor.

The carb'd engine also can add a fair amount of fuel to the sump (another good reason for HDEOs) which can lead to dilution and further thinning.

gd9704, if you like to run your engines every month or so, be sure to run them for at least 15-20 minutes so they get up to temp and clean out somewhat before shutting them down.

Cujet, what conventional oils did you use in the Hondas that croaked? Just curious.

Oil is cheap and the sumps in questrion are rather small. I don't go more than 20-25 hours on OPE before I dump the oil (assuming it doesn't have a filter). I was even a firefighter years ago and we had porta-pumps at a nursing home running 'round the clock. We changed the oil at midnight in the middle of a flood to ensure they would last through the event. It can be done. Oil change on most OPE can be done in 5-10 minutes or less if you're in a hurry.

Can't wait to see the UOA on that 0W-40.

Are you concerned in using Amsoil's 0w-40 4 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back