New HK MP5 .22 LR Range Toy

I was window shopping at one of the local sporting goods stores, and saw that they had in stock one of the HK MP5 .22 LR pistols. I made the mistake of having a sales clerk get it out of the cabinet so I could look at it. I came back the next morning and bought it.

I was impressed that the weight is pretty similar to the 9mm MP5/SP5. It felt very well built. HK licenses Umarex to manufacture it for them, but it is all branded HK. It isn't an exact replica of the 9mm MP5/SP5, but to the untrained eye, it is pretty darned close.

The tri-lobe silencer attach is polymer, so it is nonfunctional, but the barrel is threaded for a silencer. And the front sight is polymer, where I believe it is metal on the 9mm version. The safe/fire selector is shaped slightly different from the 9mm also.

Internally, the action is entirely different from the 9mm. But what do you expect for less than 1/5th the price of an SP5.

I haven't had a chance to take it out and shoot it yet, but I've loaded the magazines with a mix of Winchester, Federal, and Browning target/practice ammo, so that I can see how well it will handle different types of ammo.

Without a brace, I'm not expecting stellar accuracy. But I am expecting this to be a very fun range toy. I'll report back after I get to shoot it.

The 9mm SP5 comes in a very nice soft sided case, that is just the right size for the pistol, sling, magazines and screwdriver. But the .22 version doesn't come with that.

Anyone have any experience with a soft side gun case that would be sized right for this? It measures 18" long x 8 1/2" high (grip to front sight).

HK MP5 22LR View 1.JPG

I like it!
Those mags look to be polymer as well, and therein would be my caution. Don't let that pull down for loading the mags snap up, it will damage the retaining lips at the top of the mag.
Ask me how I know, and I'll send a pic.

I like it!
Those mags look to be polymer as well, and therein would be my caution. Don't let that pull down for loading the mags snap up, it will damage the retaining lips at the top of the mag.
Yes, they are. I don't think there are any aluminum or steel magazine options available. Thanks for the heads up about the potential for damage. I'll keep that in mind. Fortunately, I only pull it down far enough for the next round or two, so if it snapped out of my fingers, it isn't going too far.

I like it!
as with any, pull down, put one in,release, repeat.

I was window shopping at one of the local sporting goods stores, and saw that they had in stock one of the HK MP5 .22 LR pistols. I made the mistake of having a sales clerk get it out of the cabinet so I could look at it. I came back the next morning and bought it.

I was impressed that the weight is pretty similar to the 9mm MP5/SP5. It felt very well built. HK licenses Umarex to manufacture it for them, but it is all branded HK. It isn't an exact replica of the 9mm MP5/SP5, but to the untrained eye, it is pretty darned close.

The tri-lobe silencer attach is polymer, so it is nonfunctional, but the barrel is threaded for a silencer. And the front sight is polymer, where I believe it is metal on the 9mm version. The safe/fire selector is shaped slightly different from the 9mm also.

Internally, the action is entirely different from the 9mm. But what do you expect for less than 1/5th the price of an SP5.

I haven't had a chance to take it out and shoot it yet, but I've loaded the magazines with a mix of Winchester, Federal, and Browning target/practice ammo, so that I can see how well it will handle different types of ammo.

Without a brace, I'm not expecting stellar accuracy. But I am expecting this to be a very fun range toy. I'll report back after I get to shoot it.

The 9mm SP5 comes in a very nice soft sided case, that is just the right size for the pistol, sling, magazines and screwdriver. But the .22 version doesn't come with that.

Anyone have any experience with a soft side gun case that would be sized right for this? It measures 18" long x 8 1/2" high (grip to front sight).

View attachment 213601
So, tax stamp and then it can have a butt stock SBR?? I had the GSG and taking apart to clean was a pita.

So, tax stamp and then it can have a butt stock SBR?? I had the GSG and taking apart to clean was a pita.
I'm a little uncertain about the current rules for a brace on, what is technically a pistol. The barrel length is only 8 1/2". I didn't follow real close, but I saw where the rules kind of waffled back and forth recently.

as far as cleaning it, I'm accustomed to guns that are difficult to clean. I also have the HK 416 .22 LR and a Browning .22 lever action. I haven't ventured into breaking them way down, so for now I use a bore snake to clean the barrel.

Back