New Hamp Oil Under on GM Wax Frame?

Just bought a new 22 Silverado. I don't want it going the way my last one did (rusted wheel arches and frame rust). I have a date with New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. I have no qualms with doing that annually. My worry though is that their oil will soften and degrade the wax undercoating on the frame which (miracle) actually looks pretty good right now. Should I tell them to stick to the body only for the time being?

I applied it directly to my frame right away (2018 bought new), it didn’t do anything to my wax. And I continued to do that every 6 months until a sold the truck two years later. The GM frame wax is going to eventually harden, then chip away. I think things like fluid film, NH oil undercoating, etc, keep it kind of supple. But as you already know, you are in for a big battle with that frame wax. I can’t stand that stuff.

Cost depends on vehicle size and local economy.

Kinda missing RustyJones, AutoArmor,....

I applied it directly to my frame right away (2018 bought new), it didn’t do anything to my wax. And I continued to do that every 6 months until a sold the truck two years later. The GM frame wax is going to eventually harden, then chip away. I think things like fluid film, NH oil undercoating, etc, keep it kind of supple. But as you already know, you are in for a big battle with that frame wax. I can’t stand that stuff.
I really appreciate the response, I was looking for that. I’m going on blind faith with frame wax. New this time around; Diff assemblies have the coating on them. I’m wondering of customer complaints about rusty diffs/axle tubes led to that.

I had my 2022 Silverado sprayed with fluid film. Everything still looks good with the frame coating. For $350 he did my entire truck. He even popped the taillights out and used a really long wand to do the bedsides.
Thats what I’m looking for, good coverage in those bedsides.

I really appreciate the response, I was looking for that. I’m going on blind faith with frame wax. New this time around; Diff assemblies have the coating on them. I’m wondering of customer complaints about rusty diffs/axle tubes led to that.
Do they coat the axle/diff, with the frame wax now? Guess it couldn’t hurt. The frame wax is supposed to be “self healing”, as you know, it’s not. Instead in five years it’ll have half your frame freely exposed to rust.

I like to use:
Cosmoline in high wash areas.
Fluid Film in doors, tailgates, hood and any area that will NOT wash off.

Anybody concerned (like OP) should purchase a case of Fluid Film in aerosol cans for touchup work.
I did something similar....fluid film treatments twice a year, and white lithium grease in the high wash off areas. Although cosmoline would have been even better.

Do you plan on keeping it over 20 years where it might be beneficial?
Prob not 20, but at least 10. My 13 that I just got rid off had the wheel arch rust and some questionable areas on frame in the rear near upper strut mounts and the attachment points for the gas tank hangers. I just want it to be as rust free as possible at year 10.

Does anyone in the DC area do that and how much does it cost?
You can buy a Woolwax 1 gallon undercoating kit on Amazon for $169. That should easily be enough for one application and then if you wanted to put another gallon on it a year from now, it’ll run you $50 bucks for Fluid Film, or $59 bucks for Woolwax. It’s basically the same stuff as NH Oil Undercoating. I’ve used all three, there’s no difference that I can tell.

Does anyone in the DC area do that and how much does it cost?
There’s a travel guy I had been in contact with in NJ, I don’t know how far he will travel, but it’s a remote system, he comes to you…

Look into a spray kit and a couple gallons of Woolwax. It is thicker than Fluid Films and I like using the black so I can tell where it was applied and washed off. It holds up very well and only washed a little bit behind the tires on my wife car that gets driven the most. For the price of the application you can buy it yourself and then just touch it up yourself very easily. I used a small hotdog shaped air compressor and it keeps up very well. The spray gun kit comes w the long extensions and makes it very easy to do. My Expedition and C1500 took just over a gallon the first time when applied. A gallon of Woolwax will touch up my 3 vehicles for a 2 yrs.

You can DIY this for about 200$ for the first year. Then the spray gun pays for itself. The stuff is about 50$/gallon. I used to use it but now moved to something else.

I put my truck up on ramps tonight (755 miles on her) and hit areas on the frame where the wax was abraded during manufacturing with this stuff. I’ll report back to update on its longevity. I have to say, this wax job is soooo much better than my 2013’s. Just areas that got scraped during manufacturing when the frame was having components attached.
A08968D0-E9BE-44B3-91D1-7F9BC58F0BB5.jpeg

Back