New green Havoline Pro-RS

Electric cars still need brake fluid and wheel bearing grease. If the plant based oil can bind well with thickeners to make NLGI 1 and 2 greases while also being carbon negative and biodegradable, it could see a big demand in the future outside of engine oils.
Oh, the changes we see in our lifetimes. It is inevitable. But, reasoned change for the right reasons -- not groupthink or dogma -- must win the day, the week, and the years ahead.

New methods such as these should be scrutinized. Though, I suspect Chevron has done their part and has adequately studied these new materials' useful performance features and their current and future profitability. Chevron's current and past innovation performance is legendary. :)

We humans must continue to innovate!

Last edited:
Oh, the changes we see in our lifetimes. It is inevitable. But, reasoned change for the right reasons -- not groupthink or dogma -- must win the day, the week, and the years ahead.

New methods such as these should be scrutinized. Though, I suspect Chevron has done their part and has adequately studied these new materials' useful performance features and their current and future profitability. Chevron's current and past innovation performance is legendary. :)

We humans must continue to innovate!

My uncle has worked at the Chevron plant on the Mississippi gulf coast for over 30 years. My other uncle retired from there a few years ago. Both are/were in management. They dealt mostly with the fuel side of things, but I know from them that Chevron is quite thorough in their research and procedures. I imagine the oil/lubrication side would be the same.

Electric cars still need brake fluid and wheel bearing grease. If the plant based oil can bind well with thickeners to make NLGI 1 and 2 greases while also being carbon negative and biodegradable, it could see a big demand in the future outside of engine oils.

Looks like Novvi is already working on that plus a lot more.

The NOACK is nice on the base oil listed. Depending on price, this looks like a good option.
yes, exactly, the properties look good. Someone involved in blending could probably comment more, but it looks to be an excellent product.

I imagine it is very costly which would be the downside.

I contacted Havoline today and asked about their new PRO-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil. Since the Lifelong oils are advertised as having seal conditioning agents, I asked the technical representative if the Lifelong oils are similar to a high mileage full synthetic oil. All that the rep said is that the RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil. Can someone please explain this in terms I can better understand? Will it be safe to use on a brand new car without having the swelling effects that high mileage oils are said to have on certain engine parts?

Last edited:
I contacted Havoline today and asked about their new PRO-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil. Since it is advertised as having seal conditioning agents, I asked the technical representative if it was similar to a high mileage full synthetic oil. All that the rep said is that the RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil. Can someone please explain this in terms I can better understand? Will it be safe to use on a brand new car without having the swelling effects that high mileage oils are said to have on certain engine parts?

Just like he said.

The Polyolester used in Jet Engines, Compressors and as a primary motor oil basestock is not the same as the one used in Maxlife for a seal conditioner .

Valvoline told us that back when Maxlife was introduced.

I would use the oil if it was reasonably priced. The base stock has a nice low Noack, and the final product is all API SP rated, and all made by a company I would trust to do a good job.

I would use the oil if it was reasonably priced. The base stock has a nice low Noack, and the final product is all API SP rated, and all made by a company I would trust to do a good job.
Mobil 1 Annual Protection price with Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic performance isn't going to cut it in my opinion. If it can compete on performance for the price it could find a real niche.

Reactions: SR5
I contacted Havoline today and asked about their new PRO-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil. Since the Lifelong oils are advertised as having seal conditioning agents, I asked the technical representative if the Lifelong oils are similar to a high mileage full synthetic oil. All that the rep said is that the RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil. Can someone please explain this in terms I can better understand? Will it be safe to use on a brand new car without having the swelling effects that high mileage oils are said to have on certain engine parts?
CORRECTION - Sorry I was wrong in my thread above. The Havoline oil that has the "Lifelong" designation is the PRO-DS (not the PRO-RS). I apologize for the confusion.

CORRECTION - Sorry I was wrong in my thread above. The Havoline oil that has the "Lifelong" designation is the PRO-DS (not the PRO-RS). I apologize for the confusion.

Can anyone please explain how the Lifelong oil can be good for new and old cars no matter the mileage when this new Lifelong oil contains seal conditioning agents just like all High Mileage oils do?

Last edited:

Can anyone please explain how the Lifelong oil can be good for new and old cars no matter the mileage when this new Lifelong oil contains seal conditioning agents just like all High Mileage oils do?
My guess is they are trying to get across the same thing they have been telling the general public for years. Over time essential oils leach out. A correctly formulated HM oil provides these to be reabsorbed. This does not mean a seal in as new condition will absorb these. It will absorb only so much. This means they are perfectly safe for use in a younger engine.

They have had a hard time communicating this to the general public so I suspect this is their way of marketing a "Lifetime" oil to the people that seem to think a magic exist to using the same brand and/or line for the life of their engine.

I’m excited for this oil. I bet it will probably replace the DS line all together and will be priced similarly. I love the 6qt capacity and easy pouring box / bag. Walmart needs to hurry up and stock this stuff so I can buy it.

Back