New GF6 Kendall 0W20 vs Amsoil OE 0w20

My understanding was that 100% Synthetic Oils cannot be Group 3, only Full Synthetic can be Group 3. Amsoil OE is 100% Synthetic. I am not defending Amsoil, but always wanted to understand if 100% Synthetic can be assigned to Group 3 oils or not.

View attachment 40490
Attached, are the safety data sheets (from the manufacture's websites) for both products. Both indicate that the primary ingredient is CAS 64742-54-7, which is a Group 3 base.

Attachments

• Amsoil OE SDS.pdf
    464.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Kendal GT1 Max SDS.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 15
Attached, are the safety data sheets (from the manufacture's websites) for both products. Both indicate that the primary ingredient is CAS 64742-54-7, which is a Group 3 base.

I have posted this already 😔 but thanks for posting this again 😂

Last edited:
Yep. Not even sure what the debate is.

And at PC prices, OE may not be the lowest cost but it's not crazy high price either.
Just received 4 Gallons OE 0W-20 today, didn't have to stop at the store as it's at my door! Seems weird but I know AMSOIL is fresh, the do not over produce, some oils at stores are rather old.

The term synthetic could perfectly well describe crude oil molecules
whose shape had been fundamentally altered by chemical engineering. In
a 1999 decision by the Better Business Bureau’s national advertising
department, chemically engineered and reshaped petroleum-based oils
can be called synthetic. This is because what is important is that, in
both cases, desirable, higher-performing uniform structures have been
created, not just separated out of petroleum as cream is separated
from milk.

To improve a mineral oil the Waxy stuff had to go because it made oil
congeal at winter temperatures. Aromatics had to go because they lost
viscosity too rapidly when hot. Unsaturates had to go because they
were vulnerable to heat-driven gumming and sludging. And so on.

full-45634-36928-syntheticmineral_oil2.png

With respect to TBN, I understand going lower on calcium and boosting magnesium with the new LSPI issues lowers the TBN we traditionally talk about. It remains to be seen if you get more for your money out of what TBN is there. Meaning it doesn't fall as quickly despite starting lower.

Back