New G-oil 5qt jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Let us know how that works out for you and where you find it besides Wal-Mart.

There is a store locator on the GET website. You can also purchase G-Oil via Internet sellers such as Amazon.com, dgpnow.com, etc.

Originally Posted By: lemonade
Question: Why there's no "energy conserving" or something like that in the API donut?

I specifically asked them about HTHS and not being Resource Conserving, because I had assumed that the HTHS would be >3.5 and I had been using this oil in my Audi. Their reply was that the HTHS was indeed 3.2 and they chose not to have the oil submitted to the testing for GF-5/Resource Conserving.

Coming from an oil company selling environmentally-friendly oils, that really doesn't make any sense to me. I stopped using it in my Audi, because when I pulled the valve cover to fix some leaks the peaks of the cam lobes showed different coloring like they had been polished down a bit. I guess an HTHS of 3.5 is necessary for my car. Maybe I'll mix in a couple of quarts of M1 15W-50 to boost the HTHS.

Is there a good (FAR) current rebate for this oil?

I went to their website and didn't see anything decent.

I would like to try the new and better formula.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Is there a good (FAR) current rebate for this oil?

A new one should be starting soon.

I came across this forum conversation February 2012:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2314027

If believable, it seems as though via question & answer w/ G-Oil, the OP received a comparison chart of new to old revealing an HTHS of 3.12 for the old formulation and 3.6 for the new formulation.

For what its worth, the Noack of the chart has the same value as the back of the bottle in this post. Also, the TBN, cst40, cst100 in the chart (11.2, 58.3, 10.6) are very similar to the VOA of G-Oil in the following post from over in the VOA section (10.7, 60.4, 10.7).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2740477#Post2740477

So maybe the new formulation does carry a higher HTHS. I have asked G-Oil about the new formulation and just got a PR NON-Answer response. I wish they would just publish some written data already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Is there a good (FAR) current rebate for this oil? I went to their website and didn't see anything decent. I would like to try the new and better formula.

Their latest rebate (Celebrate the G-Oil 100) has just started. Give them a day or two to fix the link to the rebate form.

Not all stores have the new formula on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I will NOT support Wal-Mart, but I may get some of this elsewhere for my next oil change.

So you will pay $7/quart at amazon, but you won't pay $5.25/quart (or almost free after rebate) at Wal-Mart?
Whatever. It's your money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
It's not even certified by the API.

Did you see the photo's at the beginning of this thread?

What about them?
Originally Posted By: TurboJim
It's not even certified by the API.

Did you see the photo's at the beginning of this thread?

What about them?

Says right on the bottle American Petroleum Institute Certified

Actually I see it says that it's certified under the service dronut. I wonder why they write that on there instead of just putting the starburst symbol on the front.

Last edited:
Actually I see it says that it's certified under the service dronut. I wonder why they write that on there instead of just putting the starburst symbol on the front.

The G-Oil we're most familiar with is the black bottle Bio-based Advanced Full Synthetic. All of their other oils (except racing) are listed as resource conserving and show the certified for gasoline engines donut according to their website. Some of these other oils are now shown on Amazon. For the moment they are listed as being out of stock.

The API Certification Mark
The API Certification Mark "Starburst" is designed to identify engine oils recommended for a specific application (such as gasoline service). An oil may be licensed to display the Starburst only if the oil satisfies the most current requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standard for this application (currently GF-4 for passenger cars). Many automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark.

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-o...lity_marks.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back