New fram ultra vs tough guard efficiency data

It's literally the industry definition of synthetic blend, this is just getting stupid. If you are just going to troll me you are going to end up on my block list.
View attachment 69472

There's nothing "wrong" with it, it just isn't what it says, it states baked. And yes, it's quite possible to bake the media onto the screen as part of an adhesion process, that's just not what takes place with the production Ultra. But, given the inconsistency on the media, that's not surprising. It could also be a spelling mistake, but we don't know, it's an inconsistency.

It's clear there are two layers. FRAM's own media says there are two layers, Christ on a cracker, this is getting stupid.

But you are defending, not explaining, and you are being borderline condescending about it to boot.

I didn't say the numbers were made up, don't put words in my mouth. I said it would be logical to question the integrity/legitimacy of the material presented because of the inconsistencies, nothing more.

Are you being intentionally dim? I simply stated that given all the issues with the e-mail, somebody driven by logic and reason would be within their right to question what else has been presented.

Zee has posted a pretty logical take on the subject, you? not so much. He presented a rational explanation for the mistakes, you didn't.

Yet you have wasted a significant amount of my time engaging on this subject. We are done here.
You chose to waste your time!

I dunno...

I think it's not so tragic as the dual bonded media may actually be an improvement for specified applications and properly used. There is still fully potted metal caps and a louvered metal center tube. One that I might add, has fully opened holes.

What I do think is tragic is that there hasn't been a comeasurate drop in price for using less materials.

This is also coming from a member that remembers the good old days of opinions going hellfire hot when AC-Delco/Champion Labs/SuperTech going E-core route.

Again, right filter in right application proved no worry... and never had window screens inside that I recall. Plain old paper cartridge over a nylon cage. Cheap as they get yet still a rather competent design with future upgrades as needed to address weaknesses.

Just saying, give Fram a chance here and hopefully they wake up a little bit and give those filters a price break.

That said? Until I know different? Fram X-tra guard for my mum's police interceptor Impala. 🚔 Wix XP on my Silverado SS ... 🛻

Scott S: " Purolator Boss and Wix XP is pretty much the same design isn't it? "

Yes, similar construction with mesh backed media. But the efficiency isn't nearly as good, and most people using the Ultra wanted the high efficiency. The old Ultra had it all for under $10 for most filter models.

Last edited:
I dunno...

I think it's not so tragic as the dual bonded media may actually be an improvement for specified applications and properly used. There is still fully potted metal caps and a louvered metal center tube. One that I might add, has fully opened holes.
Wait, you're saying the new Ultra has a louvered center tube? I don't think that was in any tear-down video that I've seen.

Wait, you're saying the new Ultra has a louvered center tube? I don't think that was in any tear-down video that I've seen.
Forgive me if I'm in mistake.

The latest C&P videos show the media literally butted up against a full steel center tube. That tube being of a fully perforated spiral-like/helical construction with wide open holes.

Is the a difference I am needing to know about or am I mistaken? Please tell me and if there is any advantage of one against the other...

I admit I'm very new on this subject and willing to learn. *^.^*

Forgive me if I'm in mistake.

The latest C&P videos show the media literally butted up against a full steel center tube. That tube being of a fully perforated spiral-like/helical construction with wide open holes.

Is the a difference I am needing to know about or am I mistaken? Please tell me and if there is any advantage of one against the other...

I admit I'm very new on this subject and willing to learn. *^.^*
Round holes and louvers are totally different. This is what louvers look like.

Good Louvers.JPG

Ooooh, now I get it.

Literally like horizontally slatted window blinds (aka louvers) vs. punched holes.

Thank you!

Are the design differences actually beneficial one against the other? Or does it simply not matter if flow in=flow out? Does it affect filtration performance based on one against the other? Etc. Etc.

Is this like the silliness of stock vs. Vornado intake swirlers of 2 decades ago?

Ooooh, now I get it.

Literally like horizontally slatted window blinds (aka louvers) vs. punched holes.

Thank you!

Are the design differences actually beneficial one against the other? Or does it simply not matter if flow in=flow out? Does it affect filtration performance based on one against the other? Etc. Etc.

Is this like the silliness of stock vs. Vornado intake swirlers of 2 decades ago?
As long as the total flow area of the center tube is at least equal or greater than the filter mount flow hole, then it should be fine regardless if it's holes or louvers.

Louvers have the potential to give more flow area (which might reduce delta-p by a hair), so that's good unless they look like shown below (barely cracked open). Always inspect louver formation before buying or installing is my practice.

Bad Louvers.JPG

Louvers have the potential to give more flow area (which might reduce delta-p by a hair), so that's good unless they look like shown below (barely cracked open). Always inspect louver formation before buying or installing is my practice.
Good stuff, good advice. I guess I need to read more C&P ...

One cannot always pop open tape sealed product in the stores and expect to walk out without a half dozen "shoppers" follow you around every corner.

The photo: excellent example. However, could those louvers simply be angled downward? They could be full open unless they are just poor tooling & not fully perforated. Basic common sense does say if I cannot see wide open bores that face desired flow direction...chuck it.

If in a sealed box, then open it in the store after you buy it. New Ultras won't have louvers anyway. If the louvers look horrible then return it on the spot. With a strong flashlight it should be easy to see if they are barely open or not. Chances are they will be good, but I've seen some I wouldn't use.

If one is buying the TG, you might as well go to the Extra Guard.

I didn’t know about the Ultra construction changing and bought a filter about a month ago for an upcoming OCI. Is it still wire backed?

If one is buying the TG, you might as well go to the Extra Guard.

I didn’t know about the Ultra construction changing and bought a filter about a month ago for an upcoming OCI. Is it still wire backed?
I would say it depends on your local store turnover.

Unless there is either an egregious mistake made in manufacturing or it simply doesn't sell and it gets pulled for a distributor refund...

Your only clue will be the packaging.

Updated filters apparently completely lack outside box labeling that states that the filter has wire backed media.

That's what I was eluding to, that the old info on the website generated by Fram before the acquisition seems more accurate than what the recent emails seem to say about the old Ultra.
Agreed that the website more accurate on original Ultra. My point, if folks here can read and find the information on original Ultra, then new employees and the powers that be putting out information since replacement Ultra released and 'now' can find it too. Based on what I read this thread and other, still not accurate regarding the original Ultra. Why that is remains an open question imo.

To Sayjac:

Unfortunate but, I blame manufacturers that hold details too close to the vest and claim proprietary information.

We as the consumer are beta testing constantly.

^^^
Many feel it's a down grade. We'll see.
i wouldnt say downgrade but unjust that the price didnt go down by at least a dollar or two. the quality of the new one is still superb but the price could've gone down. that's the only thing i mind.

i wouldnt say downgrade but unjust that the price didnt go down by at least a dollar or two. the quality of the new one is still superb but the price could've gone down. that's the only thing i mind.
Corporate pricing is not adjusted by a "just" factor. Its the corporations pricing duty to the shareholders to make the most money possible, and since these filters have been selling well at their existing price, I'm sure the thought of lowering said price never occured.

Me too. I can sit and wait this one out and see the beta tester dissections look like. Then decide what to use going forward.
No bigger ultra user than me.
That said we all have many options.
I'm not losing sleep over this.

The EG is a great filter.
The main advantage of the ultra was for pia. remote locations.
15-20k use and many only ran them 5-7 k anyway.

Back