New Fram Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter price isn't even the issue, is it? I mean, within reason. If I were made of money I suppose I could afford to use Fram or other cheapies but my truck's gotta last me.

Last edited:
IMO the fram filter is just like the filter in an old beetle. If you look at the construction the fram filter has a wire screen that it filters through before the oil is recirculated into the motor. To me thats just fram admitting that their filter is horrible because if the paper in the filter were doing its job there would be no need for a screen.

I was in a Theisen's Farm/Home/Auto store yesterday and saw that next to each stack of Frams was a stack of "Defense" oil filters with the same part numbers but different letters at the beginning.
The brand name on the box says Honeywell, the baseplates look identical to the Frams. The Defence filters were less expensive (not that Frams are expensive).
Anybody heard of these? Are they really just the basic Frams painted white and repackaged?

'Defense' filter are the ultra-cheapie line of filters that Honeywell makes...probably close to orange can construction....

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
If they are made any "cheaper" than the orange can fram they must be optical illusions.

crackmeup2.gif
Yeah, I tried to buy one but my hand passed right through it.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
If they are made any "cheaper" than the orange can fram they must be optical illusions.

crackmeup2.gif
Yeah, I tried to buy one but my hand passed right through it.

If you had managed to get to the register with one, they would have given you money back for taking it. At some point, cheaper moves into negative numbers.

The Defense line is easily available in Canada. Generally about 50c cheaper than the Orange can.
Make you wonder just how much cheaper they can make one. Maybe they are hollow with no filter medium at all!
crackmeup2.gif

Actually I think they are identical construction to the Orange can. Still overpriced for what they are though...

They just don't have a marketing budget. No Defense advertising ..no NHRA sponsorship (or whomever) ..and hence, no name brand recognition.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
I have it on good authority (the Walmart ICEE vendor
wink.gif
) that the OCOD is full of wadded up paper towels as filter media

grin2.gif

Well I guess thats 6X better then toilet paper!!!

Originally Posted By: steveh
For a good laugh Fram has a new website for the 3X and 6X filters.

The suspense is killing,,link???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back