New FPS3976A cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got 10 of these from Rock Auto, 3 of them got dented somewhat-this one was the worst with one dent right at the edge of the dome-so it got CUT! As you can see, this filter in an Ultra has no Sure Grip, and no flutes-so be prepared to use a filter gripping wrench (I have a rubber one, a 3/8" drive band one, and a Lisle) to get it off. The baseplates are identical, down to the letter code & one hole slightly bigger than the others. Still using the coated steel backing, and a coil spring (instead of the usual Ultra leaf), guessing due to a heavier duty application. Not cutting the Ultra, it was the ONLY newer one I ever found at an AAP (when they carried them). If only they could use the Distance Plus can...

XG FPS3976A.jpg

FPS3976A.jpg

FPS3976A cut.jpg

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
That seam looks terrible.
It's not beautiful, but it's solid & I couldn't pull it apart. I don't recommend cutting the media on these, the metal backing screen will eat your hands!

Originally Posted by PimTac
I am curious as to why one hole on the baseplate is larger than the rest. Are all Ultras like that?
That seems to be a carryover from Fram/Champ days, their baseplates all had the one bigger hole, doesn't seem to be a reason for it. I just included the picture to show it was identical to the Ultra.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

It's not beautiful, but it's solid & I couldn't pull it apart. I don't recommend cutting the media on these, the metal backing screen will eat your hands!

Interesting though that the seam isn't crimped metal like in most Ultras shown here. The media is a different color as well. Isn't it normally a sort of pink?

I thought Jay said the XG and FPS filters were identical excluding the grip paint and labeling...

HMM...

Like to see more pictures of the element but that looks more similar to champ construction than typical Ultra. Note: errant glue and seam construction.

[Linked Image]

Ultra

[Linked Image]

Champ (a Harley Super Premium 5)

Oh and the top of can marking?

Last edited:
Recent XG10075 (BMW N52 application) I bought has the white media, so probably a recent change.

Interesting though that the seam isn't crimped metal like in most Ultras shown here. The media is a different color as well. Isn't it normally a sort of pink?

I thought Jay said the XG and FPS filters were identical excluding the grip paint and labeling...

Low sales volume application, wouldn't be going out on a limb much to say this is a rebadged filter, ie., made by someone else. Perhaps Fleetguard/Cummins, most similar to or same as LF16035. Link shows relatively recent comparison of filters including synthetic for this application. Never seen a Fram made filter use a coil compression spring. Curious if it uses a louvered or hole centertube?

https://blog.genosgarage.com/wordpr...rs-guide-part-two-oil-filter-comparison/

I am curious as to why one hole on the baseplate is larger than the rest. Are all Ultras like that?

Optical illusion. The holes are drilled on a sloping surface and the camera angle made one hole look larger.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Optical illusion. The holes are drilled on a sloping surface and the camera angle made one hole look larger.

Champ does indeed have a few baseplate designs where one hole is larger than the others. In fact, Champ uses that exact same baseplate on their PH2005 and all the Champs made for the Zetec. 8 holes,but one is larger than the other 7.

Looks like the differences seen here are filter P/N (model) specific. This particular filter model is geared more towards big diesel truck engines.

No, one is definitely bigger-I lined it & the Ultra's baseplate up to show they were the same. Media looks the same, along with the finger-munching backing, as other Ultras I've cut. Has a spiral center tube, with good looking louvers (which is different from the holes most Ultras have).

No, one is definitely bigger-I lined it & the Ultra's baseplate up to show they were the same. Media looks the same, along with the finger-munching backing, as other Ultras I've cut. Has a spiral center tube, with good looking louvers (which is different from the holes most Ultras have).

Interesting. Here is a shot of an FPS 3600 compared to a Fram Tough Guard TG 3600. No larger hole and identical including the stamp "2C" on the plate.

5EF39DC8-CEF9-4454-8158-D7D84ED0C783.jpeg

I just watched a cut of a FPS 7317 on you tube and it had the more traditional stamped spring and pinkish fiber. What's going on?

It looks like Fram subs out the specific filter that the OP posted. The FPS line is not advertised as an "Ultra", so it may not be an Ultra inside like most examples we have seen posted.

Guessing they sub out the Ultra, too? They pretty much match, right down to the baseplate & louvers instead of holes. My thought was the media looked a lot like the Cummins Royal Purple (by Champ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back