New Ford Coolants??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed that Ford is using a dark green HOAT coolant in some of the new Ecoboost engines. Doing some research on the new Mustang 411hp 5.0l "Coyote" (not Ecoboost) engine came upon this caption line under a water-pump picture from a pretty in-depth article on the engine's development...

"Coyote uses Ford's new environmentally friendlier organic-acid antifreeze, which is red."

Hmmm. Wonder if Ford is moving to the Dexcool Darkside, or if this is another style HOAT.
Noticed on some other engine pics on other sites that the coolant tank does seem to have red coolant.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Noticed that Ford is using a dark green HOAT coolant in some of the new Ecoboost engines. Doing some research on the new Mustang 411hp 5.0l "Coyote" (not Ecoboost) engine came upon this caption line under a water-pump picture from a pretty in-depth article on the engine's development...

"Coyote uses Ford's new environmentally friendlier organic-acid antifreeze, which is red."

Hmmm. Wonder if Ford is moving to the Dexcool Darkside, or if this is another style HOAT.
Noticed on some other engine pics on other sites that the coolant tank does seem to have red coolant.
I am guessing..Environmentally friendly could mean a PG coolant(propylene glycol)with the normal corrosion inhibitors

Originally Posted By: c3po
I want to take the 4.6 DOHC Engine out of my Marauder and put in the DOHC 5.0

From digging into that article, the new 5.0l bell-housing bolt pattern is the same as the 4.6l....

Noticed that Ford is using a dark green HOAT coolant in some of the new Ecoboost engines. ....

The dark green HOAT is G-48.

http://www.veredlungschemikalien.basf.de...santin/products

G-48 is nitrite-free, which means unlike G-05 it can’t be used with wet sleeved diesels. Other than that G-05 and G-48 are pretty similar.

I've seen it in Saab and BMW dealerships.

It's current for BMW, Maybach, Mercedes, Minis with gasoline engines, Rolls-Royce, Smart, and Volvo.

It was used in Audi, Opel, Porsche, Saab, and VW.

Valvoline has it in limited distribution under the Zerex brand.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Noticed that Ford is using a dark green HOAT coolant in some of the new Ecoboost engines. ....

G-48 is nitrite-free, which means unlike G-05 it can’t be used with wet sleeved diesels. Other than that G-05 and G-48 are pretty similar.

It's current for BMW, Maybach, Mercedes, Minis with gasoline engines, Rolls-Royce, Smart, and Volvo.

.Not sure how too understand the word "similiar"..both coolants have silicone but G48 contains 2-ETHYL

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru

.Not sure how too understand the word "similiar"..both coolants have silicone but G48 contains 2-ETHYL

It's hard to imagine Ford would use a coolant with 2-EHA when they swore off Dexcool. I don't know that Ford's new coolant is G-48. If I had to take a guess, I'd guess that it is more similar to Mazda/Japanese extended life coolant. Do you have a link for G-48's ingredients?

G-05 and G-48 are HOATs because they are silicated and have an OAT. But it looks like G-05 and G-48 are not the same OAT. G-05 has Benzoate for the OAT and G-48 has 2-EHA: G-48.

They just tell you not to mix G48 with OAT because it will dilute the silicates, but you could mix it.

Looking at that 5.0 -- Ford is getting pretty serious about their power-trains.

Is GM still making the Northstar engine? If so, it's about 3 generations behind this 5.0 Coyote....

Yes, it is Hoat..more like a dexclone with silicates..MSDS from 2 suppliers.. http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/353 and http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.mpmoil.nl/pdf/msds/vb_mpm_83000C_NL.pdf%3FPHPSESSID%3D0518c7695d1faa41afe9302e95e4e68a&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmpoil.nl%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBS_en&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhp-nQ_1KTsGhweStSNjmfmEDTiYg..anyway different from the ford green.. http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/msds/us184300us.pdf ..a while back ago I did see a BMW coolant bottle (G11/G48) ,..on the ingredient list it stated.. both glycols, sebacic acid, sodium hydroxide,2ethyl,silicates and dye

Last edited:
Yep looks like most of the European coolant is Dexclone or silicated Dexclone. Original Texaco Dexcool contained 2-EHA and Sebacic acid. Looks like with G-48 they just threw in some silicates.

Japanese EL coolant is typically sebacic acid and phosphate with no 2EHA. I'm not sure that sebacic is any gentler with plastic gaskets. I'd guess Ford would go with sebacic acid/japanese EL coolant type before going with G48. G48 usually isn't green either.

The way I see it you might as well run Dexcool if not G-05 because otherwise you are getting Dexcools OAT type.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yep looks like most of the European coolant is Dexclone or silicated Dexclone. Original Texaco Dexcool contained 2-EHA and Sebacic acid. Looks like with G-48 they just threw in some silicates.

Japanese EL coolant is typically sebacic acid and phosphate with no 2EHA. I'm not sure that sebacic is any gentler with plastic gaskets. I'd guess Ford would go with sebacic acid/japanese EL coolant type before going with G48. G48 usually isn't green either.

The way I see it you might as well run Dexcool if not G-05 because otherwise you are getting Dexcools OAT type.
..G48 came in blue,green and yellow..and nor is it considered a long life coolant..

Last edited:
Peak makes certain coolants that say they use NJSTRN QT1 and Sodium Benzoate, which is different from Dexcool, but both are organic inhibitors.

Sodium Benzoate is the same organic inhibitor found in G-05.

G-05 has Benzoate for the OAT and G-48 has 2-EHA: ...

They just tell you not to mix G48 with OAT because it will dilute the silicates, but you could mix it.

I don't believe 2-ethylhexanoic acid and 2-ethylhexyl acrylate, which is what is in DexCool, are identical.

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru

..G48 came in blue,green and yellow..and nor is it considered a long life coolant..

I was thinking G-40 but anyway regardless G-48 has all the ingredients to be a long life coolant. Moreso than G-05 does.

G-05 has Benzoate for the OAT and G-48 has 2-EHA: ...

I don't believe 2-ethylhexanoic acid and 2-ethylhexyl acrylate, which is what is in DexCool, are identical.

2-EHA=2-ethylhexanoic acid. That is how it is always abbreviated and is what's in all Dexcools. I've never seen 2-ethylexyl acylate used in antifreeze. It's not in Dexcool.

I'm trying to figure out why Ford is using 2 different types of coolant in the new Eco-boost vs. Coyote engine families, considering they were both developed in the past few years and are all-aluminum. Why wouldn't one coolant be good for both? (I'm assuming that the new Ford dark-green and red are different chemistry's)

The Eco-boost's are turbocharged, but I can't see how that would make a difference in coolant choice. Seems to over-complicate stuff even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back