If G-05 Is So Good....Why Is Ford Switching ....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...To Dexcool?? I just bought a new 2011 Ford Mustang GT, and the engine is filled with Ford Specialty Orange Coolant, which is basically Dexcool.

(After Posting this, I just read the Motor Magazine Article which seemed to explain the why...for global standardization, but is Dexcool really better?)

I searched the owners manuals for the 2011 Fords at www.fleet.ford.com and it seems that almost all of the newer engines in the '11s are using Dex-clone including the Fiesta, 3.0 Escape, 3.7 & 5.0 Mustang, F-250-550 (gasoline) and the 3.5 Ecoboost (which also specs 5w-30) in the Flex and Taurus SHO.

Now the question is, since I plan on keeping my 'stang a long time are the Dexcool problems a thing of the past on the new-family of engines that were designed around Dexcool, or would a change to something like a Asian-style coolant like the Ford Green be a better choice for gasket longevity??

Last edited:
In a system that is properly designed for it Dexcool has some advantages. It has a longer service life and at least equal corrosion protection, best waterpump seal service life (with a cavitation resistant wp design), pontentially less toxic, high availability and low cost. I have no doubt that Ford (and GM) have worked out the gasket compatiblity and any other issues with Dexcool at this point. GM and Ford spend a lot of money researching it by now and it would be best to run Dexcool in these late-models calling for it.

I am one of the folks that has not had dex-crud or sludge in an engine originally designed for green (GM 4.3L V6 with the hated 45 degree radiator neck). I also have a saab which has had G-37 (or whatever the glysantin designation is for dex) since new with a spotless system.

Where the system design is good, and maintenance controlled, I see no reason to be concerned with it. If you want to keep it "lifetime" or 100k or whatever is another point/decision, but I would not let the fact that it is dex/clone be a major concern.

Granted I have G-05 MBs with original, spotless systems at >>200k, and the jury is still out (for me) with regards to that kind of longevity, but so far so good.

Are you sure it's not Japanese P-OAT (phosphated organic acid technology)?

The Mazda6 uses an orange coolant that is not Dex-cool. The Mazda 6 is made in the same factory as the Mustang. It makes sense economically to stock only one type of coolant for the factory. That way you can purchase more coolant at a lower "per-unit" cost. You don't have to have two specific bulk storage tanks and all the associated machinery and personnel for them. And finally, no one can accidently put Mustang spec fluid in a Mazda6 or vice-versa.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I am one of the folks that has not had dex-crud or sludge in an engine originally designed for green (GM 4.3L V6 with the hated 45 degree radiator neck). I also have a saab which has had G-37 (or whatever the glysantin designation is for dex) since new with a spotless system.

If it's blue and Glysantin, do you mean G-48 like the BMW stuff? For a while there BMW owners were buying it at Saab dealerships because it was cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

If it's blue and Glysantin, do you mean G-48 like the BMW stuff? For a while there BMW owners were buying it at Saab dealerships because it was cheaper.
..he meant to say G34 (dexcool/dexclone for the saab's)

I would use the dexcool equivalent during the warranty period. Once out of warranty, you can revisit the issue, look at 3+ years of real world results, and decide if you want to be part of Ford's ongoing product development program.

It seems the trend (at least in the US) is toward all makes/models chemistries similar to dexcool. The Ford decision was likely driven by cost, availability, and the more environmentally friendliness of the dexcool clones.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

Nope, not G-48 blue. This is an 04 saab and it uses dex, but the euro spec for it is G-37 or something similar. It is in the documentation with my car.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Are you sure it's not Japanese P-OAT (phosphated organic acid technology)?

The Mazda6 uses an orange coolant that is not Dex-cool. The Mazda 6 is made in the same factory as the Mustang. It makes sense economically to stock only one type of coolant for the factory. That way you can purchase more coolant at a lower "per-unit" cost. You don't have to have two specific bulk storage tanks and all the associated machinery and personnel for them. And finally, no one can accidently put Mustang spec fluid in a Mazda6 or vice-versa.

I don't think so...Ford's Asian-style coolant is "Ford Specialty Green" which is a greeniish-blue. The Ford reddish-orange is Dexcool-style (and we know about the Ford Specialty Gold G-05).

Guess the Ford Orange coolant will be OK.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-EngineProducts-Coolants.aspx

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
It says compatible with DEX-COOL, is it possible it is not a dex-clone but ok to mix with it?

Well the Ford Orange "meets GM 6277M" which is the DexCool GM spec. so I'd say it's pretty close.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: MC5W20
It says compatible with DEX-COOL, is it possible it is not a dex-clone but ok to mix with it?

Well the Ford Orange "meets GM 6277M" which is the DexCool GM spec. so I'd say it's pretty close.

After I made that post I read the thread on the motor magazine coolant article. It appears Ford is switching to Dexcool. Oh well, as long as Ford does there homework properly all should be well.

Its all about money. DexCool is by far the cheapest coolant to manufacture, and does work OK in systems that don't need a lot of cavitation protection and don't have 2-EHA susceptible gasket materials in them.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its all about money. DexCool is by far the cheapest coolant to manufacture, and does work OK in systems that don't need a lot of cavitation protection and don't have 2-EHA susceptible gasket materials in them.

I have noticed that you have been a long time Dex-hater on this forum. You just cannot bring yourself to say that Dexcool works very well in systems designed for it, can you?
Instead you say it is all about the money and that Dexcool is the cheapest to manufacture. Do you have any proof that Dexcool is the cheapest to manufacture?

Dexcool works fine as long as you change it every 3-4 years and around 100K miles. ALL coolants need to be drained and filled on a regular basis. I would bet most people NEVER change their coolant.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I would use the dexcool equivalent during the warranty period. Once out of warranty, you can revisit the issue, look at 3+ years of real world results, and decide if you want to be part of Ford's ongoing product development program
Just like our 6.0 Ford diesels!!!

Technically, International 6.0L Diesels
wink.gif

And Ford was so happy with them, they moved to in-house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back