Coolant for 2011 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer. Its a little low on coolant. I haven't done anything with the coolant since I got it 2 years ago. The cap says to only use motorcraft specialty green. The manual shows the spec wss-m97b44-d which is the dark green. It also shows the spec wss-m97b55-a which I think is ford orange coolant.

Heres a link to Ford coolants. If you look at the 2011 explorer it shows the first half of the year they used dark green. After that they went to orange. Can i assume i can switch mine to orange? If so, is that the same as dexcool. Is there something I can get at the auto parts store or Wal-Mart? I want to flush it and use something cheaper and easier to get.

http://www.motorcraft.com/servlet/BlobSe...&blobkey=id

You have an interesting dilemma. If your manual shows wss-m97b44-d & wss-m97b55-a, those two AF's are different chemistry types. The latter b55-a is the Motorcraft Specialty Green which based on your description seems to be the FF in your Explorer. The b44-d is Ford MCs orange Dexcool used later to current your chart shows. It would make you wonder if OM was written knowing both specs separately would be needed during the 2011 production year.

The Specialty Green is a PHOAT used in majority Asian vehicles now. The orange is as noted DexCool, and they should NOT be mixed. As for whether you can use DexCool containing 2eha now with complete exchange/flush, biggest issue likely is gasket and seal compatibility with the 2eha in DexCool. I suppose you could 'assume' with a complete exchange they are compatible. That said, unless Ford came out with an updated spec or tsb saying Dex Orange ok to use in it's place on those 2011 models I wouldn't.

Having checked before, Specialty Green can be very pricey. Some alternatives are any of the PHOATS used for Asian vehicles. Had a similar post about related Mazda FL-22 HERE recently. PepBoys OEM green is most reasonable in a concentrate.

One other option with a complete exchange would be Peak Global Lifetime concentrate sold at Napa. It's a Long/Extended service interval OAT with NO 2eha.

All that said, if you are comfortable using Dex after a complete exchange, any DexCool would be ok.

Below is Motorcraft AFs complete listing showing the specs for the AFs.

https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemi...ite-MFPR1215WCC

I called the dealership and they want $27 per gallon of concentrate. I will probably just go that route since Zerex asian around here is $15 for 50/50. Its cheaper after you dilute it and I know its the correct antifreeze. I have another vehicle that uses dexcool, which is why I was wondering about that. Thank you for your help

I've just gone through this same sort of dilemma over the past week, thinking based off of some of what I was reading on various forum threads that I needed to use the Ford Specialty Green coolant.. Turns out I'm lucky, and my fusion is one of those with two colors on that chart depending on build date, and mine takes the G05 Gold.

Having said that, during the time I was thinking I'd need the Specialty Green, I was looking at other options. I found out that the engine in my Ford Fusion is a Mazda engine, and Mazda offers their own product for it in their cars that use it. Their fluid is called FL22, and it is chemically the same as Ford Specialty Green.

Pentosin also makes coolant under the Pentofrost name, and they offer a green coolant - Pentofrost A2 - which is their version of Ford's Specialty Green.

... Having said all that, for $27, perhaps you might just be better off sticking with the Ford stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back