New Engines and Oil Life Monitors

No OLMs in our Hyundai or Kia. All that's available is a Service Miles Counter. Pick a miles accumulated number reminder and set it.
I set the Hyundai at 3500 and Kia at 4500. That allows me 500 miles grace for getting oil / filter changes done.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No OLMs in our Hyundai or Kia. All that's available is a Service Miles Counter. Pick a miles accumulated number reminder and set it.
I set the Hyundai at 3500 and Kia at 4500. That allows me 500 miles grace for getting oil / filter changes done.

I wonder why Ford moved away from allowing the owner to set the oil life percentage they wanted the IOLM to indicate Service Due at? It automatically started Service Soon 5% before that.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Gene K
A 6,000 mi sample of Mobil 1 from the EB looks like it's been shredded. Low-7's cSt in viscosity, near 10% fuel contamination and 6x the iron level and half the TBN of MC Blend in the 5.0 at 10,000 mi

What you've noticed about EB engines is spot on. I've been saying this for years on BITOG. I have a first gen EB and noticed these things back in 2011. Every so often I post about it. So it came as no surprise when "mistreated" EB engines started showing up for timing chain replacements. Not to mention the near constant troubles with cam phasers.

An honest assessment of what is going on in modern engines really does point to the need to manage oil and viscosity better than simply going with the OLM and viscosity requirement. Those who make the statement that the "manufacturer knows best" give nothing more than "lip service" to the fact that the manufacturer is in the business of selling new vehicles, and not in the business of keeping them running beyond their "useful lives" They are also in the business of performing repairs. The fact that they last as long as they do has a lot to do with competition and EPA/environmental requirements.

A very good post in my opinion ^↑^^^^^

If I had a turbo GDI... It would certainly not be a long run candidate.

Heck, my Chevy 3.5L GDI engine is naturally aspirated and the OLI still calls for oil change between 5,000 - 6,000 miles! We don't drive it hard, don't pull anything, don't idle much, mostly highway driving.

This, plus the experiences of other BITOG GDI owners says your OCI is way, way too long for your whiz motor! 5k OCI

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I just change every 5K miles. Easy for me to remember and the oil/filter is cheaper than an engine.

Yep.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I just change every 5K miles. Easy for me to remember and the oil/filter is cheaper than an engine.

Yep.

Yeah absolutely agree ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Danno
Especially with Ford, I would never go with the OLM, if you want to keep the car past warranty.
Ford provides zero goodwill past warranty and even in warranty their warranty coverage can be difficult to get.
Ford's goal is to minimize perceived maintenance costs to potential onwers with the 10,000 mile OCI and to get cars past warranty.
1st hand experience in buying and maintaining 1,000s of Fords for a large private fleet.

If they were my cars, no more than 5,000 mile (or less if OLM calls for it) OCI with SN+, SG, D1G2 oil with appropriate Ford rating on the bottle.

What is SG oil?

I bet he meant to type SP oil...

API SG is a bit old now needless to say
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
A 6,000 mi sample of Mobil 1 from the EB looks like it's been shredded. Low-7's cSt in viscosity, near 10% fuel contamination and 6x the iron level and half the TBN of MC Blend in the 5.0 at 10,000 mi

What you've noticed about EB engines is spot on. I've been saying this for years on BITOG. I have a first gen EB and noticed these things back in 2011. Every so often I post about it. So it came as no surprise when "mistreated" EB engines started showing up for timing chain replacements. Not to mention the near constant troubles with cam phasers.

An honest assessment of what is going on in modern engines really does point to the need to manage oil and viscosity better than simply going with the OLM and viscosity requirement. Those who make the statement that the "manufacturer knows best" give nothing more than "lip service" to the fact that the manufacturer is in the business of selling new vehicles, and not in the business of keeping them running beyond their "useful lives" They are also in the business of performing repairs. The fact that they last as long as they do has a lot to do with competition and EPA/environmental requirements.

A very good post in my opinion ^↑^^^^^

+1

2015 F150 with the 5.0. This truck gets a lot of family miles. I am somewhere at 47k miles and about 1075hours run and 139hours idle. What I've noticed is I can run mine on the highway for 750 miles and only loose 1%. But what I also see is as the non-driven time goes by the OLM drops percentage even if not used.

I have had great luck with Ford but I don't appreciate their OLM. Parameters seem more like 1995 not 2015....

I was reading through your post and I saw you listed the MPG's of vehicle? Does MPG's some how affect oil life? I am not being rude, I just have never see it included before and I am curious as to if it bears any significance?

I agree. I found with both my Jeeps ignoring the OLM is the best thing to do. UOA confirmed that, and I ignored them from day one. Both of mine are overly optimistic. IMO the car maker does not have my best interests in mind.
27.gif

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
I was reading through your post and I saw you listed the MPG's of vehicle? Does MPG's some how affect oil life? I am not being rude, I just have never see it included before and I am curious as to if it bears any significance?

The OLM is actually reading fuel used which is one of many parameters that effects it's readings.

My GM OLM's seem to take me to around 7k if I don't change the oil before that …

With the new Pentastar having 9k OCI … will watch it and try to remain objective …

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Heck, my Chevy 3.5L GDI engine is naturally aspirated and the OLI still calls for oil change between 5,000 - 6,000 miles!

Our 2018 Colorado 3.6 GDI OLM gets below 10% by 2,700 miles. I'd call it's usage severe. Minimum of 4 cold starts per day with a trip less than 2 miles, including through midwest winters.

I've been changing the oil when the OLM gets below 10%, and changing the filter every other time.

Sorry, I didn't read every single post here, maybe a third of them.
But my $.02 would be that sample results would be far, far better to go by than OLM.
Good thought right here from gizzdad too. You don't have to change the filter every time if you are doing short OCI.I often forget that myself, it's like it is just assumed that if you are changing the oil you change the filter too. But, it doesn't have to be that way, again with a short OCI.

Based on all the information I've read about GDI engines, plus the results of your UOA, I would definitely change the EB oil sooner.
Synthetic oil and decent filters are pretty inexpensive nowadays... peace of mind is priceless.

Please school me on the '16 Camry's 4 cyl. OLM I just had my son reset it for me. The oil. is a yr old and ~5500 miles mixed driving. STP 0w20. Changing the filter is a PITN. Oil looks good on the stick, smells OK, feels nice between the fingers. Working my way through the thread, I learned enough to gather the OLM would reset after a year? 2% a week? I find myself liking the Fridge for its appliance qualities and am still discovering what the buttons do.
grin2.gif

Back