"New" Edge 0w-40 Non- LL01 findings

Mercedes spends like 2 million dollars per day in R&D alone. A few thousand bucks for an oil cert is not even a drop in the bucket.

Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by BucDan
AKA, it was always good for it, they just didn't pay the extortion fee to be able to put the cert on their label... until now.

How much does it cost to obtain a Mercedes-Benz approval?

Not sure, but as with every licensing and cert, it isn't free, and it has an expiration date.

It is around $5,000 and expiration date is either change in chemistry of oil or update in approval.
Now, if you think extortion is $5,000 then I guess more power to you.
Also, Euro manufacturers do not have licensing fees.

So in the real world,are mfg approvals just whichever co feels like shelling out the bux to have their logo stamped on the bottle? Because it seems like a trend for oil co's to have an approval, then to drop it, to only have another oil co pick it up.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
So in the real world,are mfg approvals just whichever co feels like shelling out the bux to have their logo stamped on the bottle? Because it seems like a trend for oil co's to have an approval, then to drop it, to only have another oil co pick it up.

In the real world it's a matter of maximizing profit. If an oil company can generate their target profit by selling oil to VW customers then they will obtain the required approvals. If they don't feel it's worth the effort than they will drop the approval. If another company has a lower profit target then they may opt to obtain an approval.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by The Critic
Interesting.

But is there any reason to use the Edge 0w-40 over the 5w-40? The 12/2019 PDS for Edge 5w-40 shows 229.5 approval and LL-01 approval so I think the product may have changed (improved):

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/F7CF571E87BF9A8C802584E000589851/$File/BPXE-AA5D4U.pdf

With an 11% Noack, it can't possibly meet MB 229.5, alas, I'm guessing it's just a typo.
smile.gif

Has anyone seen this new Edge 5W-40 on store shelves yet? My stores only have the older (229.3) stuff.

I just ran by the local AAP to check- the 1 quart bottles have the 229.5 certification, but the 5 quart bottles still only show 229.3

I was at Wally's last week and they had 5w40 with the 229.5 spec, it also promoted titanium on the front which the older 5w40 did not have. The 0w40 has about 45 ppm ti don't know how much is in the 5w40.

The Walmart website now also shows the new 5 qt jugs with the 229.5 cert. My local Wal-Mart doesn't carry it on the shelves- I'm going to order a couple of jugs online for pickup and see what I get. I can leave them there if it's the old stuff.

High SAPs on these Euro oils...i'm sure that earns the DPF parts makers approvals.. lol

My IMHO. In the home theater world, some top end audio gear displays the THX specs, others do not. The ones without would meet the spec, the mfg doesn't want to pay for the certification. I think that's the same here. Castrol and M1 don't want to pay for the spec, or BMW somehow decided they didn't want 0/40 and want a 5/40. The new Castrol 5/40 is LL01, M1 is not. So M1 didn't want to pay for the spec so they could put it on the bottle. But M1 would still pass it with flying colors.

Here is the latest report on this engine, 2011 N52 now with 190,000 miles. This will likely be the last report with Edge 0w-40 in this car, as it is difficult to get with consistency and more expensive. It was the only oil used in this engine for the last 80,000+ miles or so. Always 5k changes. A little surprised at fuel dilution, but the previous BS reports showed low flash, so the fuel was likely there too. .. MPG is excellent, runs fine, etc. My wife's car. She enjoys this car greatly, and likes to hear the GM 6speed bang shifts, so it could be more drastic usage than your average grocery getter. OA had the engine type as diesel, flagged the titanium since they did not post the oil type, and I tried to fix it in HORIZON and gave up, I must not have the needed minimum IQ to run their system. I put the previous reports in line for ease of comparison. Just curious, what is the favorite oil of the N52 crowd? Not just from reading approvals, actual usage/ownership please.

1665263072451.jpg

1665263041765.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used Castrol 0w-40 and 5w-40 in my parents' cars. I run Mobil 1 0w-40 in mine, as it was $24.47 at Walmart

This oil did excellent in my N52 on track too. 5k interval.
Currently have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in.
Mobil1 0W40 is another I used and that saw track time. Also 5k interval.

OA had the engine type as diesel, flagged the titanium since they did not post the oil type, and I tried to fix it in HORIZON and gave up, I must not have the needed minimum IQ to run their system.
It's not just you. OAI's setup is a nightmare. Requires a phone call for every correction and edit, and there's always a need for at least one. Blackstone may be "unreliable" but they make it stupid easy. Plus I love their report layout and their customer service is very friendly and accommodating.

It's not just you. OAI's setup is a nightmare. Requires a phone call for every correction and edit, and there's always a need for at least one. Blackstone may be "unreliable" but they make it stupid easy. Plus I love their report layout and their customer service is very friendly and accommodating.
Odd, that's not my experience at all. I submitted two samples, both were recorded properly, with the correct details. Didn't find anything difficult about the process. 🤷‍♂️

Odd, that's not my experience at all. I submitted two samples, both were recorded properly, with the correct details. Didn't find anything difficult about the process. 🤷‍♂️
The initial setup was even difficult in my case. BS is better by far with ease of use in my opinion. I find even OA packaging to be needlessly difficult to open. OA seems to be set up for fleet/industrial use primarily, with a pretty old UI, that all their primary users are accustomed to. Regardless, I will keep using them for the time being.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Back