New Dishwasher Time AGAIN

I have a "Magic Chef" brand dishwasher... unknown model but does run on electricity which is it's main feature. I don't pre rinse, it grinds stuff up, dishes come out clean.

Unit has also cleaned several carburators since I don't have a hot tank. She's a beaut Clark!

Coincidently, my Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher broke yesterday. Model WDF760SADT3 Had run well for about seven years of medium to light use. Maytag before had about the same life. After doing some investigation appears the water circulation pump has failed, as fills with water and then nothing. New pumps are in the $150+ range so by the time I have messed with the install concluded time to buy another. Big problem with availability as I have an older-style tradition kitchen with all bisque/biscuit-colored appliances. Sort of a light or off-white beige. After searching on-line and locally, choices limited to Whirlpool and GE to get a remotely decent delivery date. Ended up going back to Whirlpool and ordered directly on their website. Under $600 delivered for their low-end model. Will install myself. Due in about eight days. Assume life will be the same as previous experiences...we will see.

Ima order a Bosch 800 series and wait.

Ugg

Need to buy some rubber gloves.

Looked and Miele (just not available and high cost) and Beko (price good, Made in Turkey, no internal water heater at all)

I've got about 8 years on a low-midrange GE, though I only run it once every 3 days or so and never use heated dry.

It's fairly flimsy, recall the frame wanting to bend just moving it around to install, and the door is prone to misalign from frame flexing too (I just grabbed both sides of the door and twisted a little to straighten it), but so far it's not had a single issue otherwise, except that the racks are coated steel and the tips of some parts have the coating worn off and started to rust, so I touched it up with that liquid PVC goop meant for this purpose.

We run ours every day, sometimes twice a day as we are both hack chefs

That 3rd rack in the Bosch (and some others) is the cat's meow for ss gadgets etc)

I have a "Magic Chef" brand dishwasher... unknown model but does run on electricity which is it's main feature. I don't pre rinse, it grinds stuff up, dishes come out clean.

Unit has also cleaned several carburators since I don't have a hot tank. She's a beaut Clark!
Runs on electricity as opposed to what?

My house came with a full compliment of "Ikea" appliances. All made by Whirlpool. The gas range and the microwave? Perfect. The fridge and the dishwasher? Junk.

The kitchen was barely a year old when I bought the place in 2014, and since then I've had to replace the dishwasher door latch 4x and the thermal fuse 3x. To this day, it still makes funny noises during the fill stage. Think the sound a disposable camera makes when you press the flash button.

The fridge so far has lost cooling twice, the wires from the main unit to the freezer door broke rendering the ice maker inoperable, and the fridge door gasket has fallen apart. The gasket alone costs over $200.

Missed the beginning, ad the purchase happened- but I'll stick with the same answer I always give.

Miele. The best you can get. Miele has models around 1100.

If you dont go with Miele get a Bosch. (which you did).

So SpeedQueen is the "bees knees" of washer and dryer sets...is there an equivalent for dishwashers?

I worked with an engineer who used to work for the dishwasher business unit of Maytag. His comments I remember...

Don't pre-wash your dishes. The soaps are made to be caustic to dissolve food. If there is not some bio materials available, they will etch your dishes and wear components in the dishwasher. Yes, knock big chunks off, but don't do a pre-rinse or wash.

Don't add extra detergent (see above).

Don't use the heated dry function. If you can simply crack the door open when the cycle is complete. The dishes are hot enough to dry quickly with the retained heat.

Speed queen washers are built very well, but the residential units do not have an internal heater like the higher end commercial units do.

Miele wins here as well.

Miele looks great, more $ for the features - looks bullet proof - just not any available.

If the Bosch is anything like previously at the old house we will be happy ducks.

Delivery tomorrow AM!

We've had a mid range GE for years, stainless interior, quiet and cleans perfectly with whatever Cascade or Finish tabs Costco last had on sale and Jet Dry in the rinse aid. We run it every night. Had to replace the control board but that was pretty inexpensive and easy to do. About $500 when purchased. So worth it over a cheap and loud model, I'm not entirely sure what a washer at 2x the price would do that this one doesn't.

jeff

We've had a mid range GE for years, stainless interior, quiet and cleans perfectly with whatever Cascade or Finish tabs Costco last had on sale and Jet Dry in the rinse aid. We run it every night. Had to replace the control board but that was pretty inexpensive and easy to do. About $500 when purchased. So worth it over a cheap and loud model, I'm not entirely sure what a washer at 2x the price would do that this one doesn't.

jeff
That model probably isn’t $500 anymore - but more $ primarily adds better rack design and a 3rd rack, control features and mostly lower dB. I mean 40dB is pretty quiet For me it also adds reliability from my current position

Ordered this one for $1199

That's the one we have (in black stainless.) We took the utensil rack out from the bottom to give more room for large pots. We put the forks/spoons/knives in the top (third) rack, there are slots to place them sideways so you can get quit a few in there. This is our second Bosch. We left the first one in our previous house when we sold it and it is still going strong.

A water softner helps a lot on appliance longevity.

A lot of dishwashers now have the electric and water supply in the back of the washer instead of behind the kickplate on the front. I install several dishwashers per year and sometimes the rear layout is not compatible with some homes.

I'm another huge Bosch fan. I installed a Bosch to replace an aging GE that was in our home when we bought it. The Bosch will be 10 years old in February, and it has never required a single repair. Super quiet, to the point that it can't be heard if there is much noise in the house. I love that it has a tub underneath it, with a water sensor. If there is ever a leak, it will capture the water and shut the water off. It is almost, but not, disappointing that this system has never got to function.

I just checked CR to see what are the top rated dishwashers. Bosh and Thermador dominate the top 17 models.

Back