New Denso vs used Honda OEM

The used Honda has 35k miles on it. I normally go ~30k miles but not too embarrassed to say, missed this one. Had a Rock Auto oil filter order and they popped up with suggestions for other filters (as they do), jogged my memory to check maint. log. And, RA didn't charge an additional shipping fee even though at the time it didn't show same warehouse for as the OFs. Sold ($11 and change). Considered less expensive ACDelco but, just choose the Denso instead.

As for the fci, two members I've read here JOD and Jim Allen, left an impression. Both big believers in AF Monitor Gauges (air box filter restriction gauge). JOD has really good thread using one, went far longer than topic and 'appeared' dirtier than topic. Unfortunately, pics gone now from that thread. I don't have the gauge, but while this one might (likely will) alarm some, not me. That said, with no gauge far enough for me.

First pic taken using flash. Second pic no flash. Just wanted to show the difference. Naked eye looks more like second pic. Last pic, clean side of the Honda.
ta8ACj6l.jpg

jmvdzfal.jpg

3ZAPr3yl.jpg

Last edited:
I use Honda OEM every 30k miles. No worries about aftermarket engine air filter quality that way.
I considered and have used Honda OEM in the past(different vehicle). Comparing price this application about ~$10 more than Denso, lowest price found online with shipping. No added RA shipping charge for Denso AF, sealed the deal.

As for aftermarket quality, I had zero concern about choosing the Denso First Time Fit. Product in hand, confirmed that conclusion. Likely why I chose the Denso over the ACDelco. But no issue considering/choosing OEM in the future.

About 10 years ago now spoke with a lead Fram engineer and he confirmed JOD and Jim Allen thinking for gauge, AFs do become more efficient with use. Further said, the Fram box 'recommendation', 12k/one year, basically most about selling AFs. Quite an admission from a Fram engineer, imo. I'll never be a 12k mile/12month AF fci guy. Depending on location YMMV some.

What was the COO of the Denso filter? Not that it matters, but I am curious because most of the Denso aftermarket filters I have received use a yellow-colored media.

What was the COO of the Denso filter?.....
Coo is China, same as the FTF oil filters now. In contrast to OFs though, no (now proven) nitrile adbv vs older FTF silicone to consider.

Examining the Denso AF compared to the Honda, it 'appears' to be equivalent quality to the OEM. All things considered including but not limited to the RA shipping kicker, happy with purchase. As for coo, prefer US, sometimes can't have it all.

Wanted to add, even though JODs pics gone from the "that thread" link in the OP, if one interested in learning about AFs and AF efficiency, still worth a read imo. Aforementioned Jim Allen contributes to the thread. When it comes to AFs, what research and testing shows about efficiency, 'generally speaking', new is not better than used.

I put a Spectre permanent filter in the old Blazer, supposed to not need cleaning for 50K miles.
I'm not sure if the Blazer will out last the filter.

I just swapped out an AFE Pro Dry S for a Denso from RA; after discovering the holding capacity of the Pro Dry media was much lower than an OE filter.

That would mean more frequent cleanings and worse filtration by degrading the media quicker. No bueno.

However, the Denso’s sealing in the air box is seemingly inferior to the AFE’s wrt construction. I hope it’s not an issue in use, but that was the one aspect of the Denso I didn’t like. Maybe clamped inside the air box housing it won’t move around or matter? The media itself looked good tho!

I may like to see a stock Honda filter for comparison.

Last edited:
I don't have the gauge, but while this one might (likely will) alarm some, not me. That said, with no gauge far enough for me.

First pic taken using flash. Second pic no flash. Just wanted to show the difference. Naked eye looks more like second pic. Last pic, clean side of the Honda.
ta8ACj6l.jpg
Still quite a bit of white on the dirty side ... so agree not that close to being too "clogged" for any real concern.

Still quite a bit of white on the dirty side ... so agree not that close to being too "clogged" for any real concern.
Based on the emojis under my OP, your conclusion seems to be in the minority, but I definitely agree with it. Ideally a restriction gauge (as used by JOD) on the air box would be/would have been conclusive, but for all reasons I've noted in this thread, I'm not concerned. Further, I'm not surprised that you in particular reached that conclusion. (y) Science.

As for the Denso FTF fit in the box, from what 'I' could tell, seemed to be a good fit in the air box and gasket equivalent to the OEM.

And specifically using a "Denso", as the one comment here confirms, I've made at least one member very happy. :D

The HONDA Genuine engine air filter is treated with oil like that of K+N .
Personally don't care for the comparison to K&N or any "permanent cleanable" type AF. Imo and in my observation, those use completely different media type and technology than Honda and other standard media AFs. Having seen post use throttle body pics posted this subforum using K&N, 'I' would NEVER use one.

It's true that the Honda OEM use a 'very' light oily type coating (basically only seen on cello wrap) on the media, or at least did last one I installed on 3.0L Honda. That said, I didn't/don't see it as a significant enough difference, to limit my purchase option to OEM.

Coo is China, same as the FTF oil filters now. In contrast to OFs though, no (now proven) nitrile adbv vs older FTF silicone to consider.

Examining the Denso AF compared to the Honda, it 'appears' to be equivalent quality to the OEM. All things considered including but not limited to the RA shipping kicker, happy with purchase. As for coo, prefer US, sometimes can't have it all.

Wanted to add, even though JODs pics gone from the "that thread" link in the OP, if one interested in learning about AFs and AF efficiency, still worth a read imo. Aforementioned Jim Allen contributes to the thread. When it comes to AFs, what research and testing shows about efficiency, 'generally speaking', new is not better than used.

Ive had good luck with FTF filters on Toyotas and Hondas, but that was over a decade ago.

Did the DemSo filter have a bit of oil in the media? My accord hybrid has a slightly oiled OE filter if the same style. Ive bought Honda filters because others Ive looked at didn’t have the oiled media. I think the Accord hybrid filters are more oily than our Odyssey 3.5 filters, fwiw…

....Did the DemSo filter have a bit of oil in the media? ......
As far as I could tell, the Denso media did 'not' have any oil on it. Seemed to be dry. When I last installed Honda OEM (3.0L) the oil on the media almost imperceptible except for a little residue on the cello wrap that it comes in.

As I noted, the Denso FTF AF seemed well made including gasket. Fit well in the air box.

As far as I could tell, the Denso media did 'not' have any oil on it. Seemed to be dry. When I last installed Honda OEM (3.0L) the oil on the media almost imperceptible except for a little residue on the cello wrap that it comes in.

As I noted, the Denso FTF AF seemed well made including gasket. Fit well in the air box.
Good to know that the Denso isnt so oily. Frankly I’m not sure how I feel about the amount of it I’ve seen on the Accord Hybrid filters. I’ve run OE because they are… but have to wonder if there are long term ramifications…

I have never seen any aftermarket filter for good in any vehicle. When at ford, when we would do inspections and pull the air filter, it would be Just sitting in there not sealed, just laying in the box. We would show the customer and replace it with a motorcraft. Same for Nissan, Mazda’ Honda. Honda filters are actually cheaper from the dealership than to go buy aftermarket’ plus Hondas air filters are made by toyo Roki.

Back