New Dell Zino starting at $229

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

How would something like Athlon 2850e compare to Intel Atom?

I'm looking into getting a media PC and was considering the Dell Studio Slim, but this Zino thing looks interesting if maybe I upgrade the cpu to dual core Athlon X2 3250e.

Meh, it goes up to $400 with minimal upgrades. I'm not sure how well the ATI card will play with MythTV or other linux based HTPC software. I'd like to see more about it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm somewhat skeptical of Intel Atom and Intel integrated graphics being capable of solid 1080p content delivery. Maybe linux can make it possible, though.

Not a chance, methinks.

As far as I am aware, all things being equal, a Linux-based OS is going to be third, behind the two major corporate OS's (Mac and Windows) in terms of performance on a major (ATI or NVIDIA) graphics chipset.

From the wiki

Quote:

Everybody knows Atom can't do HD!

That's true for most netbooks based on Atom N270 (Diamondville). fit-PC2 is based on Atom Z530 (Menlow) that has built in video acceleration. It can play Full HD 1080p at under 20% CPU load and under 7W total power consumption.

2650e is slow. 2850e, assume the same. Now put a 4450e or 4850 dual core in its place ($55-$60 for the CPU alone) and it'll move ok. I may do this with my EL1200 desktop to give it a little more service life sine I've already got my $260 of use out of it most of the last year I've had it.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm somewhat skeptical of Intel Atom and Intel integrated graphics being capable of solid 1080p content delivery. Maybe linux can make it possible, though.

Not a chance, methinks.

As far as I am aware, all things being equal, a Linux-based OS is going to be third, behind the two major corporate OS's (Mac and Windows) in terms of performance on a major (ATI or NVIDIA) graphics chipset.

Not in my experience. If we're talking flash performance yes, because of Adobes poor linux and mac versions. But with any other test Linux will run circles around Windows,(with proprietary video card drivers) especially in 64bit.

Originally Posted By: T-Keith
Meh, it goes up to $400 with minimal upgrades. I'm not sure how well the ATI card will play with MythTV or other linux based HTPC software. I'd like to see more about it.

I modified it a little bit nd it came to $400, too, without a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back