New class action against Hyundai/Kia excessive engine oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3.3L V6 Kia Sorento, which calls for 5w-30 or 10w-30. What do people think of running M1 0W-40 in it instead? Mine is at about 50K miles, and used about 1/2 qt oil at 4k miles after oil change.
Look at my signature, I got the same engine. I ran Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for a long time in it, and it runs fine. Won't help with oil consumption though. The oil consumption is from carbon buildup around the rings. I had the same issue. Get CRC IVD Valve cleaner and clean the intake valves. Then run about four bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Put in two 15 oz bottles every time you fill up an empty fuel tank. That should loosen your carbon deposits. Finally run at least two OCIs of HPL PCMO 5W-30 or 5W-40. You don't need to go crazy and get the most expensive HPL oil, they all have the same cleaning power. It will clean your engine and loosen carbon deposits, free your rings. It's exactly what I have done and am currently doing. I hope this helps.

You can order HPL from here: https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants/products/passenger-car-motor-oil

Also, I am running 7 quarts of oil in it. The owner manual says 6.02, however, it can hold 7 quarts just fine. That gives me a nice cushion, just in case.

Look at my signature, I got the same engine. I ran Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for a long time in it, and it runs fine. Won't help with oil consumption though. The oil consumption is from carbon buildup around the rings. I had the same issue. Get CRC IVD Valve cleaner and clean the intake valves. Then run about four bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Put in two 15 oz bottles every time you fill up an empty fuel tank. That should loosen your carbon deposits. Finally run at least two OCIs of HPL PCMO 5W-30 or 5W-40. You don't need to go crazy and get the most expensive HPL oil, they all have the same cleaning power. It will clean your engine and loosen carbon deposits, free your rings. It's exactly what I have done and am currently doing. I hope this helps.

You can order HPL from here: https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants/products/passenger-car-motor-oil

Also, I am running 7 quarts of oil in it. The owner manual says 6.02, however, it can hold 7 quarts just fine. That gives me a nice cushion, just in case.
Thank you for the info. What OCI are you on? I have a 2019 model, and the manual calls for 6.87 qt, so basically what you're saying (seems they need to get their act together on this one).

Yes I've been looking into ordering HPL PCMO. I've also considered running their engine cleaner, or is it preferable to just run their 5w-30 instead?

Lastly, what is your current oil consumption for your Hyundai after doing all of what you mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back