New catalytic converter needed....

Does your catalytic converter have to be CARB compliant? If so, you'll have to get the engine family number off of your underhood sticker and make sure the number on the converter matches the underhood sticker.

I ended up getting a direct bolt on catalytic converter from Magnaflow. Direct bolt on meaning, one end of the converter has a flange with four bolt holes and the other end is the pipe without a flange. With that, all the shop has to do is weld up the end without a flange.

Do they physically inspect the vehicles, or is it an OBDII check? If the latter, an O2 spacer should work.
They physically check brakes, tires, windshield wipers, turn signals, etc.... Then they use a specific emissions machine/computer that is linked to some Pennsylvania emissions regulations to see if it passes or fails. My code will fail emissions my mechanic told me.

Even if a California cat isn't required, it's still a good idea to use one if you plan on keeping the car for more than a couple years

If not, get Eastern or Walker. The FVP cats on Rock Auto seem to be reboxed Eastern, as the part numbers are the same and so is the 50k warranty on non-CARB cats (federal EPA only requires 25k warranty on catalytic performance). IIRC, Eastern cats are made in Langhorne.

If you just want a cheap cat to get through one inspection cycle before you sell it to someone in a non-emissions county, if you only need to pass inspection one last time under your ownership, get the Original Performance cat, as it looks like it's coated black, which may help deter rust.

any CARB > Eastern > Walker > Original Performance

They physically check brakes, tires, windshield wipers, turn signals, etc.... Then they use a specific emissions machine/computer that is linked to some Pennsylvania emissions regulations to see if it passes or fails. My code will fail emissions my mechanic told me.
That's how NYS has done it for some time

Personally, just add on a $20 O² spacer first, and run it through a drive cycle

If the catalyst monitor runs and passes, go get your inspection, and move on with life

here's a 200, 250K mi car. Have U been underneath? took a peek? It might be.
Are U some 1 who likes to comply to laws? lower pollution? Some accuras R ol enuff
they do not hafta pass emissions in PA, no?
Then the O2 spacer trick does not matter. I think illegal if car is too young.
After a look under I'd ask "How much is left?" and price the cat accordingly. I
put the best on, **** the price, if the car hasa long life ahead. A struggling fam
can not really afford one that only lasts a few yrs either (cost of continuous replacement
labor/parts). If not doing the work ask if the shop will sell the used cat. Some have
enuff chit inside to geta core value (must B oem... only a couple bucks for after mrkt)...

Try running lacquer thinner. Works for a lot of people on YouTube. Some well-known mechanics swear by it. 1 Gallon to half a tank, then drive. Check on YouTube for specifics.

That's how NYS has done it for some time

Personally, just add on a $20 O² spacer first, and run it through a drive cycle

If the catalyst monitor runs and passes, go get your inspection, and move on with life
Just a quick note. There are O2 sensor spacers with built in catalysts, available from various sources. They absolutely do provide a valid signal to the ECU, with a properly tuned engine, even with no cat at all.

I got a catalytic converter off eBay that was shipped from canada about a year ago for my Lexus(got totaled). I am in NY so we have emissions testing yearly and NY is one of two(possibly more) states that only allow 50-state “California” emission cars to be sold. These cats usually can only be purchased from the dealer, maybe sometimes off rock auto if they have them for the application. They usually cost 2x more than the federal emission cats.

I think I paid $180 for it. My car was a 2007 which I believe was before they mandated the ECU to read the different emissions and throw a CEL if it doesn’t meet the threshold. Or it was because the car had primary and secondary cats so the programming is more lenient. Mine still ran fine with a federal emissions. The car was rusty, high mileage, and just wasn’t worth putting $1k cats in it just because the flange where it connected to the cat back was rotted.

Just purchased the AP Eastern 641356 Front Right Manifold side catalytic convertor thru Rock Auto -- with 5% discount -- total --- $306.49 with tax & shipping. My garage quoted me $200.00 to $250.00 to remove & install new one. The AP Eastern catalytic convertor is made in Langhorne Pennsylvania. Keeping it local. Hopefully I can get multiple years out of it.

Back