New catalytic converter needed....

At 136,xxx miles the check engine light on the Acura in signature illuminated. Hooked up my code reader and said -- P0420 code. Ordered 2 brand new Denso Oxygen Sensors for it from Rock Auto. Mechanic installed them and less then 200 miles -- light illuminated again with the same code. Mechanic stated -- catalytic converter time -- front right firewall side. Question, would like to keep this vehicle for 3 more years and another 30,xxx miles. We have state inspection here in Pa. and they do emission testing. Looked on Rock Auto and they have multiple choices -- what would use recommend?

Ps. I run Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 3000 miles paired with top tier gasoline for the last 10 years.

Thanks, Dale

Last edited:
How much rust, and how much do you like it?

3yr/30k more, I would think one of the lower cost cats would work ok.

Is it burning a lot of oil?
I would get it on the highway in 2nd or 3rd gear at around 5k rpm and drive like that for an hour or two. If it’s soot related, it should burn it off to an extent.
Otherwise it’s hard to say. These aftermarket cats don’t last long either.Three years may even be a stretch for them in some cases.

How much rust, and how much do you like it?

3yr/30k more, I would think one of the lower cost cats would work ok.
Zero rust and the car runs great besides. Timing belt kit done at 107K and new struts/shocks all the way around. Still a solid running and nice looking vehicle in my opinion. Trans serviced every 30K with Honda DW1 fluid and plugs changed also at the timing belt interval.

At 136,xxx miles the check engine light on the Acura in signature illuminated. Hooked up my code reader and said -- p0402 code. Ordered 2 brand new Denso Oxygen Sensors for it from Rock Auto. Mechanic installed them and less then 200 miles -- light illuminated again with the same code. Mechanic stated -- catalytic converter time -- front right firewall side. Question, would like to keep this vehicle for 3 more years and another 30,xxx miles. We have state inspection here in Pa. and they do emission testing. Looked on Rock Auto and they have multiple choices -- what would use recommend?

Ps. I run Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 3000 miles paired with top tier gasoline for the last 10 years.

Thanks, Dale
P0402 is an EGR code, if that is correct replacing the O2 sensors wouldn't repair it.

Is it burning a lot of oil?
I would get it on the highway in 2nd or 3rd gear at around 5k rpm and drive like that for an hour or two. If it’s soot related, it should burn it off to an extent.
Otherwise it’s hard to say. These aftermarket cats don’t last long either.Three years may even be a stretch for them in some cases.
Burns no oil and PCV replaced with OEM one at 75k and 110K.

Zero rust and the car runs great besides. Timing belt kit done at 107K and new struts/shocks all the way around. Still a solid running and nice looking vehicle in my opinion. Trans serviced every 30K with Honda DW1 fluid and plugs changed also at the timing belt interval.
If it's solid and good looking, and more importantly, rust free, might be worth the extra coin to go with a better cat, in case you keep longer than anticipated.

I am assuming you meant P0420, not P0402??

I have used Eastern and run them well out past 60K - but the last ones I got fit like crap, so for my Nissan application I wouldn't recomend them now.

Walker is the current favorite in the Nissan World - at least they fit.

A quality cat should have 30K mile warranty - of course good luck collecting. It might be worth visiting an acura specific board to see what actually fits. I assume there flanged - not welded?

I am assuming you meant P0420, not P0402??

I have used Eastern and run them well out past 60K - but the last ones I got fit like crap, so for my Nissan application I wouldn't recomend them now.

Walker is the current favorite in the Nissan World - at least they fit.

A quality cat should have 30K mile warranty - of course good luck collecting. It might be worth visiting an acura specific board to see what actually fits. I assume there flanged - not welded?
P0420 is the code number -- my bad. Looks like they are flanges by my eye looking at pictures. The difference between Walker & Eastern is one dollar.

Last edited:
You just might be in luck. The Acura P/N 18160-RCA-S00 shows a listing on RockAuto for a Walker 16351. The $1047 OEM converter is listed as a $175 converter from Walker. Is it OEM quality? Of course not. Will it get you a few years down the road? Absolutely.

If you can find a buyer for your old converter then you'll recoup double the amount you paid for the Walker. OEM dead converters are valuable.

1672417680189.jpg

You just might be in luck. The Acura P/N 18160-RCA-S00 shows a listing on RockAuto for a Walker 16351. The $1047 OEM converter is listed as a $175 converter from Walker. Is it OEM quality? Of course not. Will it get you a few years down the road? Absolutely.

If you can find a buyer for your old converter then you'll recoup double the amount you paid for the Walker. OEM dead converters are valuable.

View attachment 133084
That is the wrong converter -- need the front right manifold side. Thanks for the input though and I plan on getting my OEM converter back from my mechanic when job is completed. Part# for me for Eastern -- 641356 priced from Rock Auto -- $292.79...

You could try a product such as CataClean which you can pick up at most auto part stores. Many people have good luck with it but not everyone.

Research it, watch videos and decide for yourself. If you do want to replace the cats it is probably cheapest on RockAuto.

That is the wrong converter -- need the front right manifold side. Thanks for the input though and I plan on getting my OEM converter back from my mechanic when job is completed. Part# for me for Eastern -- 641356 priced from Rock Auto -- $292.79...
OK, I see part numbers for the converters on the manifold. Yes, again, I input the part numbers and Walker shows up. They're nearly the same price you list for the Eastern brand and I have no idea if one is better than the other.

Good Luck!! Hopefully this is the problem.

I wouldn’t go Walker unless it’s the same size as OE, I had a car that just didn’t “breathe” right after replacing the OE Toyota cats with Walkers. The CARB-certified ones were smaller than the OE units which created more back pressure.

I’d look at at Eastern or a Magnaflow.

I used an Eastern on my 2003 Echo years ago, it installed very easily as i was replacing the entire exhaust; not disputing any posts others have offered, just relaying my experience. There was no bending, forcing, rigging of anything; bolted right on.

I chased the same code years ago pre BITOG , two O2 sensors later and then some. I sold the Sephia for $1000 and the buyer exported it to South America.

Back