New- Castrol GTX Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, can somebody give me a ride to Autozone? I'm afraid to start my car until I get some of this stuff.

Sounds like an interesting oil. Bizarre marketing, though.

MR

So who is supposed to use this oil then? I would like to see how they are going to market it. High mileage owners are supposed to use their GTX HM, high performance drivers are supposed to use their Syntec, normal drivers are supposed to use their GTX, and those in between are supposed to use Syntec Blend. So what market does this new oil cater to?
dunno.gif

Why don't they just incorporate the technology from this new oil into all their oils?
confused.gif

they have an awesome marketing department. If nothing else.

Their oil provides maximum protection against viscosity breakdown. Their oil seeks out and neutralizes harmful particles. Now their oil clings to metal for start up protection. Amazing stuff.

[ June 03, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

quote:

Contains polarized molecules that cling to your engine's metal surfaces to provide advanced anti wear protection

Could this be esters in the oil? I wonder what's the %

Pat, I agree with ya. I think they are just trying to skin the cat in more ways than one.....they are gonna end up confusing the average customer though.

That's great marketing. They realize that enough people have heard the saying about most engine wear occuring at start-up to create a demand for their well named product.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Could this be esters in the oil? I wonder what's the %

If you look at the FAQ page it says it has esters in it.

My guess is the base oil blend is about 75% Group II and 25% esters. If that's the case, this could be one of the best "synthetic blends" available.

There's another magnatec down here, but it's only available to bulk buyers (read mechanics and service centres)

The FMX magnatec is marketted as a semi synthetic, and is a (something, I think 5, maybe a 10)W-30.

My inlaws get it in their 3.8 V-6 at service time, and my local Nissan dealler dumps it in everything.

Regarding the "Magnatec" concept, I was at a dinner for the opeing of an Australian re-refining operation...they take old industrial oils, refine them, and make new oils out of them.

Their chemist is an ex Castrol bloke who worked with Magnatec, and he confirmed that they were "polar" molecules that clung to the metal surfaces improving start-up wear.

He claimed that when they tested the 10w-40 Magnatec against their "reference oil" (Mobil 1 5W-50), the magnatec made some eyese open.

Apparently the test procedure was to run reference oil, flushing oil, test oil, flushing oil, and reference oil, so that the trial oil was bracketted by a known quantity.

He stated that with the residual of the Magnatec, both the M1 and the flushing oils performed better after the magnatec had been run.

I don't see why he had anything to prove, seeing as he was now working for someone else, with greater freedom in what he produced.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:

quote:

Castrol GTX Start Up™ was not designed with extended drain intervals in mind.

Neither was the plain jane GTX GTX @ 6900 miles
smile.gif

Castrol uses this technology in some of their bike oils too . I will be interested in seeing the pricing and of course the performance .

On another note our Canadian friends got left out on this one . At least this oil is not on the Castrol Canada website .

quote:

On another note our Canadian friends got left out on this one . At least this oil is not on the Castrol Canada website

We typically get stuff 6-12 months behind the US (if we do end up getting it), although we did get GC 0w30 first.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
It's identical to Castrol Magnatec

Yes, even the artwork on the label, which I assume is supposed to represent molecules being "attracted" to the metal, is identical to what's on the labels of the Magnatec sold in Europe.

What will be interesting is to see where this oil is made. Is this another Castrol PCMO that's being made in Europe and bottled in the US?

Castrol of Germany GTX5 Magnatec

[ June 04, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

So is this stuff conventional oil with some esters in it? Is this stuff kinda like the high mileage oil made for non-high mileage engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back